Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Redmonds and Baggot street are very good for lambics. They are not that expensive so its quite handy if you like them.

Boon Framboise Vintage - i've had a cherry and strawberry version, very nice if you like sweet stuff

Boon Geuze - probably the best one to start with, smaller bottle, doesn't have the addition of fruit, more sour. I'd say its my favourite actually

Geuze mariage parfait - top notch, great one to start with

Lindemans Cuvee Rene/Kriek - pretty good, lindemans seem to make tasty lambics

Cantillon Rose De Gambrinus - quite nice, but have had better and cheaper lambics

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - similar to boon geuze

rodenbach oak aged vintage 2010 - probably my favourite beer, don't think its around dublin anymore though. 10 euros for a litre bottle I think, so worth it.

lindemans goudenband - a 11% lambic that tastes of a sweet barley wine, one of the best beers ive had. around 6 euros for 370ml but worth it imo.

I'd start with a geuze/goudenband. Not sure why I ignored lambics for so long, but I kinda prefer them over hoppy beers now, and I'm definitely a hop head. I've had non-belgian lambics before too, but they never seem as good, and are always a lot more expensive.

cassis and apple lambics are way too sweet imo. also don't take your eye out when you're opening them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jsa112 wrote: »
    not a fan of rochefort 6 myself, should try belgian lambics if you haven't already bazmo
    I've tried a few. I liked the Cantillon Gueuze Lambic Bio but the jury is still out on the Boon - Geuze Mariage Parfait. Overall I'm not a huge fan though. Different, but not something I look for in a beer.

An File wrote: »
    I like Rochefort a lot. I've only had Westvleteren XII once, but I had Rochefort 10 a few days before that and (slightly!) preferred it. The 8 is also fantastic.
    I actually have a bottle of the 10 to try. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Had the 10 at Christmas, but 8 is the one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Myself and few friends consumed my Black's Black IPA mini-keg over the weekend. I found it to be a truly awful format, despite following all the instructions. It became almost impossible to remove any beer from the keg after one or two pours. The beer itself was fine but I feel it was a waste of money. It has hardly endeared the brand to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Thanks for sharing ill stay well clear of it so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

To Øl black malts & body salts. 9.9% Black IPA with French press coffee. It's really tasty. Nice hit of coffee on the finish.
    This was excellent. Been waiting to taste a Coffee IPA/IIPA because the bitterness of the hops and coffee would theoretically complement each other nicely. And yes they did, very nicely balanced beer!

Mikkeller I Beat You however was a disappointment. Bitterness turns into ickly sweetness but not much complexity there.

200 fathoms sold out @ The Brew Dock last night......Have to get back there friday to try again!

Still loving Buried at sea

And as usual the staff at the brew dock are top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

200 fathoms sold out @ The Brew Dock last night......Have to get back there friday to try again!

Still loving Buried at sea

And as usual the staff at the brew dock are top notch

They are, knowledgeable and passionate about beer.

I was in there last week, tried the Buried at Sea on cask, (after a taster) it was delicious. :)

I was in The Black Sheep last Friday and had a pint of Buried at Sea and it was truly awful. Had it before and it was much nicer, but this time it was just horrible.

The Full Sail on the other hand was beautiful. Even the non beer snobs thought it was beautiful....and even went back for seconds!

I've only ever had Buried at sea in The Brew Dock and never been let down 1 or 2 nights every week since I really started drinking it addictively last oct/nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Myself and few friends consumed my Black's Black IPA mini-keg over the weekend. I found it to be a truly awful format, despite following all the instructions. It became almost impossible to remove any beer from the keg after one or two pours. The beer itself was fine but I feel it was a waste of money. It has hardly endeared the brand to me.

I had one as well and it worked fine for me. If you tilt the keg slightly when pouring it helps you get a slightly better flow and less wasted beer in the keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »

think I have a mental block when it comes to Belgians, as a result I don't go for them that often, probably missing out on a lot of good stuff as a result.

One word : Orval

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I started my love of craft beer on Belgian beers like Delerium Tremens, and then went off them, as they seem enrage my sinuses more than any other type of beer. I still go back for them, though. Orval is so good.

One word : Orval
    Yeah, I've tried that. Really nice.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I started my love of craft beer on Belgian beers like Delerium Tremens,
    I really liked that.

I should probably clarify. I have actually tried a good few (and liked a lot of them) but I think my wariness of them comes from my earlier days trying them when I wasn't used to strong beers and just thought they tasted like someone put a shot of vodka into an ale. I do like them, but they're just not first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jimjim420

Was at Alltech last Thursday and enjoyed some of the Danish Coisbo range which aren't available here (yet). The 4 Imperial Stout had a range of flavour. No notes taken but I will be surely trying to get my hands on some again. After Alltech we visited ATG which had just tapped Modus Hoperandi by Ska Brewing. Well tanked by this stage but as far as IPAS go this one was special. Citrus and then bitter after taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It's very nice. I went on Monday and had one in there and brought one home. It's very drinkable for the strength too, if I didn't know in advance it was 10% I probably would have had a second.

I had one as well and it worked fine for me. If you tilt the keg slightly when pouring it helps you get a slightly better flow and less wasted beer in the keg.

Tried this - no dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Tried this - no dice.

Shotgun it with a screwdriver! :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    Shotgun it with a screwdriver! :D

You aren't the only one who suggested that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a couple of nice pints in Farringtons tonight. One of which was a pint of Mi Daza from Fran Well and actually had to return it. The taste of plastic/tcp was unbelievable. Was really surprised. I've had it before and it was delicious. Not sure what happened there. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Went to Drinkstore today and got, among others:

Full Sail
    Kinsale Pale Ale
    independent Brewery IPA
    Few cans of Punk
    One of each of the new Brown Paper Bag beers
    Of Foam and Fury
    West Kerry Cul Dorcha
    Pond Hopper Double Extra Pale Ale

Three day weekend as well! :D

nice

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Heroditas wrote: »
    One of each of the new Brown Paper Bag beers

Sounds like you'll have a great weekend! I should be able to pick up some of these tomorrow.

No sign of OFAF in Limerick off-licences yet, and the West Kerry stuff is still rare in these parts too. Consider me jealous. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

the West Kerry stuff is still rare in these parts too

Speaking of which, what's the story with them? I understand they're a tiny operation, is that why it's so hard to find their stuff? Haven't had a delivery from them in yonks...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Speaking of which, what's the story with them? I understand they're a tiny operation, is that why it's so hard to find their stuff? Haven't had a delivery from them in yonks...

It's not quite at Westvleteren status yet, but I think you have to drive to the brewery and take stuff away yourself. That's what one shopkeeper told me anyway. They aren't set up for deliveries themselves, unless a man with a van is willing to pick some up for several bars/offies.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭toffeeshel

It's not quite at Westvleteren status yet, but I think you have to drive to the brewery and take stuff away yourself. That's what one shopkeeper told me anyway. They aren't set up for deliveries themselves, unless a man with a van is willing to pick some up for several bars/offies.

By coincidence I have 20 cases of Cul Dorcha in the back of a van outside the house tonight! True story

Ah, so that's who's hiding it!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

having an emelisse smoked rye ipa, very smokey. not sure how I feel about this one. had the vian dipa too, quite good.

previously had to'ols f*ck art this is religion, wasn't bad. Really enjoyed mikkellers i beat you, I know somebody didn't like it here, but I thought it was a perfectly balanced dipa

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭toffeeshel

Ah, so that's who's hiding it!

It's all mine I tells ya, all mine. Unfortunately it's to be dropped into our depot in the morning

• Advertisement

And which depot would this be ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement