Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Yeah, white hag a contender for Irish brewery of 2015 already

Oh without a doubt.

Who else would you put up as a contender?

Edit .. For me 8 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mikkeller Cream Ale - I think I had it too cold but once it warmed up I enjoyed it alot.
    Nice lemon citrus taste and a tiny bit buttery.

Low carbonation and hops would love this in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Finished the first bottle of White Hag IPA - very enjoyable, right up there with the best of the Irish beers in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Oh without a doubt.

Who else would you put up as a contender?

Edit .. For me 8 degrees

For next year? Dunno yet but WH are deffo looking to make inroads in 2015.

8 Deg for 2014 is a good shout tho

For next year? Dunno yet but WH are deffo looking to make inroads in 2015.

8 Deg for 2014 is a good shout tho

For 2014.

Funny thing about 8 degrees for me is tried their "core" range the red etc and just thought they were average/ok which they are.

Some the others they do like Simcoe and the new imperials are just wonderful.

Had the double Irish the other night. Just wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

i have to say the white hag ipa is my new favourite beer at the moment.probably the best irish one i've had

On to my second pint of it now and it's great. My new favourite beer. Pity about the 330 bottles. That's a huge minus point imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got hustled by a crafty shopkeeper! I was convinced to buy a Cobra King, told it would be right up my alley.

It's a big bottle at 75 cls of 7.5% abv beer. First taste was almost reminiscent of a Belgian dubbel, but the flavours aren't so strong as the bottle goes on. Fairly high on gas.

It's enjoyable, definitely, but not the gem I was led to expect. I'd drink it again if it was bought for me. Should set me up for a cheap night out tonight at least.

Jesus never listen to them in-store clowns, I was blind sided by some Mcgargles **** last year

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jesus never listen to them in-store clowns, I was blind sided by some Mcgargles **** last year

To be fair to this guy, he manages the shop with the widest range of beers in Limerick city centre. He brings in a lot of stuff from Belgium, has all the Galway Bay stuff, bits and pieces from Nøgne Ø, etc. He usually knows his stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I left without having any if the Dark Penance.. Going to a gig tomorrow night in the Academy so will pop in for it then... If it is all gone then I may kick myself! Picked up some celebration stout in the Porterhouse so that will do for now.

You know what? I'm in Waterford and just got a glimpse of what it's like outside of Dublin.

For a county that's produced Metalman and Dungarvan the city itself is devoid of a proper craft place.

I'm sitting in the best one now, two frans two brew dog, two metal and white hag.

The next best had frozen taps and the other was a joke.

Plenty have metal on tap and Dungarvan bottles in fairness

Be glad you don't come from county roscommon then!! I hate my rare trips back home!

I'm hoping some of the pubs will start stocking the local black donkey beers in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

last night i was in one of the rare pubs down my way that normally sell craft and they had gotten rid of their brooklyn lager,5am saint and metalman on draught because they don't sell.all they have now is kinsale black ipa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

For 2014.

Funny thing about 8 degrees for me is tried their "core" range the red etc and just thought they were average/ok which they are.

Some the others they do like Simcoe and the new imperials are just wonderful.

Had the double Irish the other night. Just wow.

Same I find their core range a bit meh. Yeah it's nice but why would I go for meh when I can have something exciting.
    Galway bay for me, their core range is excellent, and then there specials were brilliant as well, 200 fathoms is beer of the year for me.

trouble had some brilliant specials this year as well and then add to that the improvements in their core range.
    I'm loving white hags stuff, my issue is that I can't buy their nicest beer here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Anyone try the Fullers Imperial Stout ? Is it worth the price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Tonight at home, a Wicklow Wolf IPA (from Drinkstore) . Drinkable, but not remarkable. Still, one of better of the new brewery IPAs I have tasted lately. (I exclude the excellent 8 Degrees IPAs as they are not a new brewery.)

On draft in one of my local pubs, a few Franciscan Well Chieftain IPAs. I had tasted before in Frank Ryans and liked it, and I still do. More fruity than hoppy, maybe too much so for a session. But hey, you could balance it with a Rebel Red.

Good times in Maynooth given the limited choice in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Decent load of Left Hand beers in drinkstore atm. I really want to try this..

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Left-Hand-Smokejumper-650ML-793866470062/

Same I find their core range a bit meh. Yeah it's nice but why would I go for meh when I can have something exciting.
    Galway bay for me, their core range is excellent, and then there specials were brilliant as well, 200 fathoms is beer of the year for me.

trouble had some brilliant specials this year as well and then add to that the improvements in their core range.
    I'm loving white hags stuff, my issue is that I can't buy their nicest beer here

Well Galway bay blew me away with of foam and fury.
    And I think they changed a bit of their core range too. In particular I find the stormy port now my go to porter. Thick and creamy. Nice kick. Perfect winter suppin porter.
    Speaking of trouble I had a special of theirs. The rye ale which wasn't bad at all. Again I find their core range a bit meh.
    Like 8 degrees I should say it's not that its terrible but for the price is rather spend slightly more and get one of the specialities instead.
    I think this is where these breweries for the most part come into their own, when they experiment l. It's probably not were they make their money though so I underst they have to have the day to day stuff too.

Ps I didn't get my hands on 200 fathoms. Boooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ron zacapa XO to warm up for Christmas. House mate bought me it last night in the Duty free.

• Advertisement

Having a few Vietnow IPA. Really love this IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Apologies if been posted before but the Trouble range from earlier this year, Lazy Sunday Saison ect are only €2 a bottle on drinkstore atm, best before the end of year but good value for Xmas drinks.

Dark Penance.. What utter joy. Now bring on Morbid angel!

Uh oh.. They have old rosie on cask in on the black k sheep.. Such a great cider but it is Sunday night!

Uh oh.. They have old rosie on cask in on the black k sheep.. Such a great cider but it is Sunday night!

Yeah but it's Christmas! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No messing about tonight, it's Christmas!

9DRQEDJl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up a bottle of Lublin to Dublin. I'm actually quite surprised, it's really really nice.

Apologies if been posted before but the Trouble range from earlier this year, Lazy Sunday Saison ect are only €2 a bottle on drinkstore atm, best before the end of year but good value for Xmas drinks.

Feck it, no Whistleblower :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Heroditas wrote:
    Feck it, no Whistleblower 

Picked up a case on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Picked up a case on Friday

It was you :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement