Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah it was boring and a bit bland but not awful. I was more disappointed than anything else as it promised so much but failed to deliver.

Yeah, the blurb on the back of the bottle... great things were expected, but not delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

DarrenG wrote: »
    Had a Firestone Walker Double Jack last night which was amazing. Today I'm following up with an Opal. Gorgeous saison. Firestone Walker don't do much wrong.

Where'd you get this? Trade with some yank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Having some of drink stores short dated left hand milk stout. What's the story with drink this after its best before as it's a cracking beer and cheap at 2.50 a bottle.
    Exp is the middle of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

PropJoe10 wrote:
    You'll find that a lot of red ales taste fairly similar. Had a nice Sierra Nevada red ale a while back that was a bit different from the norm, but I find a lot of red ale's to be fairly generic.

But the Blackstairs is a red IPA, or at least that's what they call it. If it was meant to be a standard red ale, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Having some of drink stores short dated left hand milk stout. What's the story with drink this after its best before as it's a cracking beer and cheap at 2.50 a bottle.
    Exp is the middle of January.

Drink it and nothing will happen except immense enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

speaking of best before dates, I found a bottle of Porterhouse Celebration Stout from 2012 that I had forgotten about, the best before is August 2013. Dya reckon it will still be good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BMJD wrote: »
    speaking of best before dates, I found a bottle of Porterhouse Celebration Stout from 2012 that I had forgotten about, the best before is August 2013. Dya reckon it will still be good?

Of course. It will probably have improved a bit with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Draught Wicklow Wolf Amber Ale. Tis very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Keeping a large bottle of Ska Decadent IPA for NYE, never had this before, is it good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

drumswan wrote: »
    Of course. It will probably have improved a bit with age.

It may well still taste grand but surely no beer is going to get better after its bbf date?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

marco_polo wrote: »
    It may well still taste grand but surely no beer is going to get better after its bbf date?

Stouts tend to age well. Many foods just get BBE stamps to satisfy EU regulations, even though they last much longer than the "recommended" dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My Bourbon county was 13 months out of date. It all depends on the alcohol % and storage conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

An File wrote: »
    Stouts tend to age well. Many foods just get BBE stamps to satisfy EU regulations, even though they last much longer than the "recommended" dates.

Learn something new every day, thats handy to know about stouts.

Back on topic tried a few of Kinnegars range for the first time last night (hard to get around to everyone on the ever expanding Irish craft brewers list), thought the Rustbucket was a lovely balanced beer, definately putting it on my goto beer list, didn't like the Devils backbone quite as much although still a decent effort.

Limeburner was not very memorable possibly a little bland although it had a nice citrius flavour, would make a refreshing summer drink and I would say is a decent gateway beer for a lager drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Keeping a large bottle of Ska Decadent IPA for NYE, never had this before, is it good?

I had it this evening. I liked it, not the best double IPA I've ever had but enjoyable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Back on topic tried a few of Kinnegars range for the first time last night (hard to get around to everyone on the ever expanding Irish craft brewers list), thought the Rustbucket was a lovely balanced beer, definately putting it on my goto beer list, didn't like the Devils backbone quite as much although still a decent effort.

Limeburner was not very memorable possibly a little bland although it had a nice citrius flavour, would make a refreshing summer drink and I would say is a decent gateway beer for a lager drinker.

Their Black Bucket is a world class bipa

Their Black Bucket is a world class bipa

Cheers didn't have that or scraggy bay in the local offie so will definately check that out, love vic secret and Blacks BIPA so Black Bucket sounds like its my sort of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Thats a good description for it alright. Drank it sitting outside Alfie Byrnes on Earlsfort Terrace in the sun and it was v nice. At a price of €6.20, not so much....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Founders Porter, for the first time in ages. "Dark, rich & sexy", indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

just a couple of Knockmealdowns from my 8 Degrees stash, along with some Blue Cheese.

mmm hmmm.

Porter & Blue Cheese is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Renewing my love for Hofbrau tonight. Work tomorrow is curtailing it somewhat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Was in the porterhouse tonight. Wrasslers and Celebration Stout on draught are amazing.

How I enjoy being in Spain.

Went to a pub on Christmas day. All Trappist beers - €3; cans of Carling - €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

I got my hands on Goose Island The Muddy and it was fabulous. It's an imperial stout and it is smooth has great body. If you ever come across don't hesitate.

Went out for a beer in Valladolid. Bavaria and La Trappe on tap. There was only one choice.

€3 too, with two tapas and some crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

L6UNKGp.jpg

This is the menu at Brewdog Helsinki. Macro beer prices are on average pretty similar in Helsinki vs Dublin.
    Please tell me more about how microbreweries in Ireland practice price gouging selling 5.50€ pints or whatever.
    I drank a bunch of those beers and enjoyed them. Just like I would pay more for quality wine than a table wine in a grocery store. Or for a pot still whiskey instead of tesco value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Do they not have a higher rate of tax in Finland, that coupled with the fact that Brewdog being Scottish and therefore the beers would have to be imported.

I think most of the complaining about Irish Craft beer being expensive is because most of it is brewed here.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do they not have a higher rate of tax in Finland, that coupled with the fact that Brewdog being Scottish and therefore the beers would have to be imported.

I think most of the complaining about Irish Craft beer being expensive is because most of it is brewed here.
    On the right hand side of the menu you have Finnish beers

I think the taxation is similar, perhaps a bit higher in Finland. But as far as I remember micros have tax deductions, difficult to compare, or at least I don't have that info. That's why I mentioned that the macros are on average similarly priced in Helsinki vs Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

snowblind wrote: »
    On the right hand side of the menu you have Finnish beers

I think the taxation is similar, perhaps a bit higher in Finland. But as far as I remember micros have tax deductions, difficult to compare, or at least I don't have that info. That's why I mentioned that the macros are on average similarly priced in Helsinki vs Dublin.

You'd be hard pressed to find Eirdinger for €7.5 in a normal Dublin pub

matrim wrote: »
    You'd be hard pressed to find Eirdinger for €7.5 in a normal Dublin pub
    Yes, but I was drinking macro lager elsewhere for 4-5€/pint.
    Craft beer pubs are more expensive than cheaper locals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

heading down to Harry Byrne's tonight, in Clontarf. Hopefully some good IPAs there, but they have 3 re-badged beers being sold as house beers.

Galway Hooker Stout, Bo Bristle Amber and Kinnegar Limeburner (AFAIR), and have been steadily growing their bottled range in recent times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement