Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah, had a bottle or two of it a while back, thought the same, surprisingly decent.

Hmmm I must try it again I had it when it first came out and was quite disappointed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it's not some amazing beer, so don't have it built up in your head.

It's more like "Oh. This is not terrible, I'd get it again".

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I've been trying a few Russian imperial stouts recently. Two that stand out for me are good oul White Gypsy (when you cab find the bloody stuff) and the expensive but delicious Nogne. Anyone have any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

This was a lovely ale, one of the best I've had, not as spicy or nutmeggy as other winter ales but a really smooth yet tasty drink.

ShepherdNeameChritmasAle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dintbo wrote: »
    I've been trying a few Russian imperial stouts recently. Two that stand out for me are good oul White Gypsy (when you cab find the bloody stuff) and the expensive but delicious Nogne. Anyone have any other recommendations?

8° one if still knocking around is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Buxton Brewery's Tsar is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Porterhouse celebration stout worth getting. Weird beard have a coffee imperial stout that's really good, albeit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Cheers folks. Expensive doesn't bother me too much as long as it's worth it! Not that I'm loaded or anything but I don't drink large volumes of beer any more, so it's quality over quantity for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Brehon Brewhouse Shanco Dubh Porter at 7.7% is complex and tasty with some lovely roast coffee, vanilla and chocolate tones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Not sure if these all count:

These would be the ones I enjoy and can be
    easily got in off licences around Dublin anyway.

Eight Degrees Russian Imperial Stout
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Founders Imperial Stout
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout
    Sierra Nevada Narwhal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Two from Alesmith, the IPA last night and sipping on the X Pale Ale now. Two pretty solid Pale Ales, although I think the X just edges it, if my wallet permitted I think I could drink that one all night, even better if it was a summer's night as it's super refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a delightful Wild Raven Black IPA in Bierhaus Galway last night, lovely drop, very similar to the Kinsale BIPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Brewdog all day long and a alt Amber. Not bad but not stunning like their core range.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had a Porterhouse Plain and now drinking Left Hand Nitro for the first time. I didn't pour it as hard as it needed to be, so not much of a head, but tbh that's not what would put me off buying it again. It's just a bit too sweet for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Lagunitas IPA. Thank you very much J D Witherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Zaph wrote: »
    Had a Porterhouse Plain and now drinking Left Hand Nitro for the first time. I didn't pour it as hard as it needed to be, so not much of a head, but tbh that's not what would put me off buying it again. It's just a bit too sweet for my liking.

It is a milk stout after all.

--

In Madrid for work. I went to a bar earlier and had a La Trappe, a Pilsner Urquell and two La Cibeles Imperial IPAs for well less than a tenner. Dat value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

slayerking wrote: »
    Lagunitas IPA. Thank you very much J D Witherspoons.

How much do they charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Ipso wrote: »
    How much do they charge?

E2.45 the day I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Zaph wrote: »

I didn't pour one hard before and I didn't enjoy it. You got to pour it hard, the nitro not only gives it a head it also wakes up the flavours! Left Hand Nitro is one of my favourites, as is Porterhouse Plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Myself and a couple of friends headed to London yesterday for the day. First flight over, last flight back and nearly fitted in all the breweries on our list.

Brew by Numbers
    11/05 Session IPA Citra - incredibly fresh and juicy. Great start to the day
    01/11 Saison Quince
    03/03 Porter
    07/04 Witber - Orange and Lemon

Kernel Brewery
    London Sour Cherry - loved this
    Pale Ale Mosaic - great to taste hoppy beers so fresh

Anspach & Hobday
    The Oatmeal Stout
    The Porter

The Bottle Shop
    Pirate Bomb (Batch 2) by Prairie Artisan Ales - stunning. My beer of the day
    Zodiak by Omnipollo

Partizan Brewery
    Pace ABC

We where then meant to be going to Fourpure but they had closed but a very lovely couple had just bought a 24 pack and very generously donated some to us to try.

All in all, a fantastic day and well worth trying. All breweries all within easy walking distance of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It is a milk stout after all.

I realise that, but I don't recall ever drinking a milk stout before that I found so sweet.
    Son0vagun wrote: »
    I didn't pour one hard before and I didn't enjoy it. You got to pour it hard, the nitro not only gives it a head it also wakes up the flavours! Left Hand Nitro is one of my favourites, as is Porterhouse Plain.

That's interesting, I might give it another go so and pour it properly next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

symbolic wrote: »
    E2.45 the day I was there

That's bloody good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ive finally given up looking at it and opened my last bottle of 200 fathoms. Haven't had any since the start of March, all I can say is WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

top first time drunken beers of 2014 for me:

HaanBryggeriet Norwegian Wood
    Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar
    Cantillon Vigneronne
    Fantome
    3F Intense Red
    3F Doesjel 2006
    Bruery Tart of Darkness
    Galway Bay 200 Fathoms
    Revelation Cat Absinthe IPA
    Panil Barriquee
    Dieu Du Ciel Peche Mortel
    Trouble Brewing Vietnow
    L'Orso Verde Barricades Riserva
    Black Barrels Vedova Nera
    Brown Paper Bag Project Howrye
    Birrificio Montegioco Draco
    LoverBeer Beerbrugna
    Black Barrels Kriek Dei Puffi
    Omnipollo Stolen Fruit
    Alpha State Larsen's Ruin Ardbeg Barrel
    Crooked Stave Surette
    Crooked Stave Vieille
    Jackie-Os Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition
    Siren Americano
    Siren / Mikkeller / Hill Farmstead Limoncello (Lemon Cello) IPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just back from Barca and discovered the best craft place I've ever being to. 30 taps not too much local just La Pirata who do a lovely IPA and IIPA, also had Naparbier but didn't try any as were quads and barleywines. There was also about 6 different Beavertown taps and one Kernel with loads of good stuff from Belgium however the highlight was a Quebec brewery I've never heard of called Dieu du Ciel! who's stouts they were using. The food as well, wagyu burgers!

Already planning my next trip back....

http://biercab.com/

bier_cab_zoomin_4.jpg

RasTa wrote: »
    Just back from Barca and discovered the best craft place I've ever being to. 30 taps not too much local just La Pirata who do a lovely IPA and IIPA, also had Naparbier but didn't try any as were quads and barleywines. There was also about 6 different Beavertown taps and one Kernel with loads of good stuff from Belgium however the highlight was a Quebec brewery I've never heard of called Dieu du Ciel! who's stouts they were using. The food as well, wagyu burgers!

Already planning my next trip back....

http://biercab.com/

bier_cab_zoomin_4.jpg
    They make amazing beers, especially their stouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

BaZmO* wrote: »
    They make amazing beers, especially their stouts.

Yup they had both of their stouts(imperial and 6.5%) and they were the same price!

Finally getting around to having my bottle of White Hag's Christmas Ale. What a weird one. It's a strange one. The best way to describe it is as a funky cola. I'm not even sure whether I like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Was yours really flat?

• Advertisement

It poured a bit flat but there's a decent amount of fizz when you drink it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement