Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

De La Senne Taras Boulba, a beer from one of Brussels' new 'craft beer' breweries. Very nice and all very exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Some Wrasslers today, a beautiful drink. As for the Porterhouse Central barmen, god they are so slow and no passion at all compared to galway b staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Same as on tap plus some 8 degrees I think. It's the best bar for craft in Swords.
    Next would be the 44 across from the Cock Tavern. But The old boro would e the "best" in Swords for choice.

Bru Rascal's on tap here tonight, result!

Just in from the Fran wells ale fest. Didnt get to try much as we were late getting in. Blacks barrel aged black ipa was the highlight for me anyway. Hoping to see more from them in the future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Brown Paper Bag Project: Pleasant Porter.

Does what it says on the tin. Very pleasant indeed. Even at 6.6% abv, it's one I could drink all day. Not as flavoursome as Buried At Sea or Dark Arts, but very very enjoyable.

Also tonight, St Austell's BIG Job. It's one I've enjoyed before.

In hindsight, the IPA may have dulled my taste-buds to the porter! Any excuse to try the BPBP again. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Heroditas wrote: »
    Punk - it's really not that great, is it?
    I love hoppy beers but it's just too unbalanced.

Moved onto Independent Brewery pale ale. Far superior.

Punk is good enough but I prefer Dead Pony Club alot more these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I have a Pleasant Porter ready to be sampled tomorrow. They definitely make good beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Metalman Garnet on cask - a relatively low ABV red ale with a strangely minty aftertaste. Rather lacking in body. Unimpressed.

After a night on Rascal's (which is one of the best porters produced last year), I came home to a BAS in the press, nice

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jacques cider. Lovely stuff, but makes ye gassy; great revenge if your drinking buddy is a Guinness man!

• Advertisement

jaysis, plus a couple of the McGargles range....vomit.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Bear Republic Racer X DIPA, good but was expecting more. Nothing that sets it apart from any other, expected more especially as it cost 50% more than other large bottles.

Are the BPB project beers deer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

had the two hundred fathoms from galway bay last night. first few sips i thought it was sickly sweet like those strawberry yazoo milk drinks, then it opened up and was an attack on the palette, really hid the 10% well.

Haven't a feckin' clue!
    All I know is that 6 cans of Punk, 2 Independent Brewery ales, 1 Foam and Fury, 1 Full Sail, 2 Brown Paper bag, 1 Pondhopper, 1 Kinsale pale ale and 1 West Kerry Cul Dorcha came to €65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Had an 8 degrees Kindred Spirit whiskey barrel aged stout last night. Was hoping for something a little devils half acre like. Not a patch on it. Awful awful stuff. Like a crappy guiness with a splash of even crappier whiskey dumped in. Couldn't finish it. Down the sink half it went. Bleughh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't think it's all that bad, but it's a bit weak for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Around €3.30 a bottle in Egans off licence in portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

The kernel pale ale with simcoe, mosaic, cascade.

Bottled 13th jan.

And very nice it was too!

Have another with tomahawk, simcoe and centennial-will be interesting to see if I notice the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Was in limerick last night pop into the crafty fox and I think it will be the last time I go in there feck all selection bar man know little about the beers I was looking for and was trying to push me to buy tiger!
    Went up to doctor johns had the white gypsy wissberr and big jod the bigger and better brother of propper jod both where really good.
    Every beer I've had from white gypsy has been brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

finatron wrote: »
    Was in limerick last night pop into the crafty fox and I think it will be the last time I go in there feck all selection bar man know little about the beers I was looking for and was trying to push me to buy tiger!

I was there last week and half the taps were dry. The fridges were nearly empty too. I reckon they're going to abandon the craft beer scene, because they're just not getting the crowd they need in there.

An File wrote: »
    I was there last week and half the taps were dry. The fridges were nearly empty too. I reckon they're going to abandon the craft beer scene, because they're just not getting the crowd they need in there.

they made a balls of it really there is a market for a craft beer bar in limerick just use the Salt House in Galway as a model. Handy size bar and staff that know there beer no need for the over powering band/music people are there for the beer and conversation

finatron wrote: »
    they made a balls of it really there is a market for a craft beer bar in limerick just use the Salt House in Galway as a model. Handy size bar and staff that know there beer no need for the over powering band/music people are there for the beer and conversation

Totally right. The bar is twice the size it needs to be. That building has struggled under 3 or 4 different guises now too. It's just not right for live music. I know some people don't like the "hipster" atmosphere of the Blind Pig, but I think they're much closer to fitting the bill than the Fox. It would be nice to keep both!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Diebels Altbier, one I keep coming back to. A very pleasant German ale (!!!)

An File wrote: »
    Totally right. The bar is twice the size it needs to be. That building has struggled under 3 or 4 different guises now too. It's just not right for live music. I know some people don't like the "hipster" atmosphere of the Blind Pig, but I think they're much closer to fitting the bill than the Fox. It would be nice to keep both!

Some great beers to be had in the blind pig. It's not a bar that's gone out of its way to sell craft it's just keeping up with demand rebel red became very popular and it opened up the door for other beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Anyone tried Nogne Mandarina IPA?Sounds really iinteresting, and just up my street, is new in drinkstore, but tis a bit pricey. Trying to decide if I should treat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭squonk

Will have to try the Blind Pig so! I like that the Crafty Fox has gone the route of being an overt craft pub but, I was a Salt House regular in my time in Galway and had many great evenings in there talking beer and sampling it. The Sunday night sessions in there were like the icing on the cake, nice and relaxed and you could still chat awya if you wanted. The Crafty Fox has had half the taps empty every time I've been in there. The last time they only had Metalman and Sierra Nevada I think. I mean, fair enough, any place will run out of stock from time to time but it's starting to piss me off because they have some good beers on tap and it's a killer if you can't actually buy them! I wish they went the Salt House route of having guest beers to fill in some of the tap space. I've gotten used to the bands but I really would rather something less elaborate and more beer centric. Blind Pig is next on the list for me. I do wish that the Galway Bay folks would throw their hat in the ring down here in Limerick. The Dublin pubs I've been in fromt he group are pretty good, so they'd make a big splash I'd say here in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Just cracked open a bottle of independent brewing pale ale - it's bloody gorgeous.
    Best Irish pale ale by a country mile imo.

€3.60 for a 500mls bottle 6% abv
    Got it in drinkstore

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Independent-Pale-Ale-500ML-5930159200042/

http://independentbrewing.ie/beer/

http://independentbrewing.ie/stockists/

upforit101 wrote: »
    Just cracked open a bottle of independent brewing pale ale - it's bloody gorgeous.
    Best Irish pale ale by a country mile imo.

Isn't it a fantastic beer? Currently my new favourite Irish beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Heroditas wrote: »
    Isn't it a fantastic beer? Currently my new favourite Irish beer.

Agreed; It's really, really good.

I think this IPA is a game changer for Irish brewing.

20140218_204137_zpsxgwyyfll.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement