Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Having a bottle of White Hag IPA, it's nice but the yeast is giving it a bit of a homebrew taste. Should have left the dregs in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I tried the White Hag IPA in bottle for the first time over the weekend and I thought it had a vegetable-like taste off it, like it was dry hopped for too long. But, I also left the dregs get into the glass as I had been storing it on its side and didn't know it was bottle conditioned until I was about to open it.

It was definitely different tasting to when I had it on draft, so I guess I'll have to give the bottle another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

White Hag stuff on draught has been really impressive but the bottled stuff has been virtually flat and a bit disappointing as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Right now, Balvenie 12 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tried an absolute ton of new beers (i.e, ones I've never had, not necessarily "new") over the last few days.

Five Lamps porter and amber. The porter was very nice but the amber was great. Lovely beer.

The bionda and the ambra from Birra Amacord. Both lovely beers, the bionda in particular very flavoursome for its ABV.

Brooklyn Blast! Ale. Lovely. I'd liken it to a weighty-er Howling Gale (at 8.4%, I think weighty is a reasonable description!).

These were all got for a euro a bottle in the local off licence, all past their date. May have had something to do with me enjoying them, feeling smug.

Bradley's have been doing a deal on cans of Founder's stuff for a good while, 4 for a tenner, so I said fucck it, I better get some. So far I've tasted the All Day IPA. Absolutely sublime. Have the Centennial IPA in the fridge ready to go, if it's anything as good as this, I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Azza89 wrote: »
    Anyone see any Porterhouse Devils Half Acre anywhere recently ?

A long shot I know.

I got a bottle of this in Valladolid, Spain on Christmas day, funnily enough. They also had Wrasslers on draught.

Good luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Tried an absolute ton of new beers (i.e, ones I've never had, not necessarily "new") over the last few days.

Five Lamps porter and amber. The porter was very nice but the amber was great. Lovely beer.

The bionda and the ambra from Birra Amacord. Both lovely beers, the bionda in particular very flavoursome for its ABV.

Brooklyn Blast! Ale. Lovely. I'd liken it to a weighty-er Howling Gale (at 8.4%, I think weighty is a reasonable description!).

These were all got for a euro a bottle in the local off licence, all past their date. May have had something to do with me enjoying them, feeling smug.

Bradley's have been doing a deal on cans of Founder's stuff for a good while, 4 for a tenner, so I said fucck it, I better get some. So far I've tasted the All Day IPA. Absolutely sublime. Have the Centennial IPA in the fridge ready to go, if it's anything as good as this, I'm looking forward to it.

Centennial is better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

It's impossible to "better" the greatest beer in the world, but Centennial is a damn good IPA at a ridiculously good price.

Cans >>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I dunno, sipping away at it atm, and while it is a great beer, I think I'm not so much of a fan of the big, sweet IPAs. I prefer them tart and lighter bodied. For insanely heavy beers, I prefer Belgian styles.

That's not to say I won't be buying this again.........

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Had my first draught pint of White Hag that I was actually disappoited in. Didn't like the Christmas Ale, tasted an awful lot like a spiced version of their Oktoberfest ale. Also, I've tried their stuff from the bottle and have been really disappointed with it. Where I'd normally love it on draught it's been rough from bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Three London beers this week.
    2 from Head in Hat brewery which seemed interesting. There was a gin botanical infused summer ale and a 1914 recipe IPA.
    Both were really bland, uninteresting and difficult to tell apart. I won't be going there again.

Thankfully, I also picked up a can of Beavertown's India Stout.
    Like everything else I've had from them, it was just so well made. Such a great brewery. If they were cheaper, I be buying them regularly.
    (the other two were almost the same price despite being rubbish)

Anyone else try the Head in Hat stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Anyone seen any Siren beer on draught or in bottles yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I wish! Siren are probably my favourite of the neighbours breweries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Should be starting to appear on tap in the Galway Bay pubs soon.

Wish they'd hurry up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Sipping on some vermouth from my €2.20 bottle. Definitely a lesser vermouth, even amongst the own-brand varieties. I must seek out some more expensive varieties.

A number of old-man places which are inexplicably popular (this in itself being the self-perpetuating reason) sell a wonderful creation called the yayo, a sublime combination of vermouth rosso, gin and soda water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Thankfully, I also picked up a can of Beavertown's India Stout.
    Like everything else I've had from them, it was just so well made

Had their 8 Ball Rye IPA a few weeks ago and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

drumswan wrote: »

Picked up 4 of them tonight the breakfast stout, the ipa, the red ipa and the oatmeal pale also picked up 2 New anchors which I hadn't seen before the wheat beer and the lager the weekend cannot come quick enough ðŸ˜႒

Picked them up in the mace beside st james hospital btw

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Metalman pale ale cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

KevIRL wrote: »
    Metalman pale ale cans.

Best before July 22nd ;)

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Liquid Mistress on at The Black Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Finally, the offerings from newer british breweries have been piss poor but getting better, Redmonds are great for that stuff now.

Now we still have piss poor offerings of certain types of European beers compared to the States. Fantome, Cantillon beyond the basic offering, BFM, Duchesse de Bourgogne etc etc. Not really ready to jump into the importing business myself....

Theres been some great stuff coming out of the UK the last two years IMO

Siren Soundwave on at Against the Grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Siren bottles should be available in off-licences now. I picked up some from Coolers in Swords just now.

Got the Siren bottles in Drinkstore, will head down for a pint in ATG after work too nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I had Sierra Nevada's Hoppy Lager, it was my first beer of the IPL style.
    I really enjoyed it, I found it more malty than their other beers, it seemed to have a dry finish at first but after warming a bit you could get more of a taste of citrusy hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,416 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Tried Heineken's 'craft' offering last night- Cute Hoor. Surprisingly it was harmless enough. It's described as an ale but to me it looked and tasted like a lager with a few hops added. However the lager drinkers I tried it with thought it tasted too much like an ale.
    I had three pints of it which is more than I can manage with Smithwicks Pale so it must have something going for it. Had to go for a few Independents after though to fulfill my quota of proper beer.
    I guess it might appeal to some lager drinkers who want to wean themselves onto ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Tried Heineken's 'craft' offering last night- Cute Hoor. Surprisingly it was harmless enough. It's described as an ale but to me it looked and tasted like a lager with a few hops added. However the lager drinkers I tried it with thought it tasted too much like an ale.
    I had three pints of it which is more than I can manage with Smithwicks Pale so it must have something going for it. Had to go for a few Independents after though to fulfill my quota of proper beer.
    I guess it might appeal to some lager drinkers who want to wean themselves onto ale.
    strangely, Kölsch (beer style from Cologne) is technically an ale, but drinking it you'd swear it was a lager from colour and taste.

So it can be done, making an ale which is like a lager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Had a Siren IPA in ATG this afternoon, decent enough and €4.50 for a 330ml. Not sure I'd buy from the off license.

However Brew by Numbers porter is a standout beer. Worth every penny, hides the 7.1% well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement