Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Really enjoyed Soundwave myself, right up my street. Draught slightly nicer than the bottle.

Enjoyed the BBN traditional porter too, though I think the Bo Bristle milk chocolate stout I had in The Headline is the best dark beer I've had so far today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grabbed a Brewdog Hardcore IPA there. Can see why they sell it in 2/3rd pints in their bars, its not easy to tell that its 9.2% by any means.

Also a White Hag "Wit" beer, which really isn't to my tastes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The porter is €4.75 a bottle in Martins, 330ml. Feck that......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kinnegar Rustbucket tonight. €3.70 for a 50cl bottle. ;) Nice treat.

Might have an 8 Degrees imperial stout later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Stone Coffee Milk Stout. Brewed with roasted coffee beans, and boy can you taste them! I think the abv is too low to carry the overbearing taste and bitterness of the coffee beans. Meh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Drinking an Odells Trellis Garden Ale, think I paid 20 quid for it or thereabouts, worth every penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Growler of White Hag White IPA from Carry Out in Clongriffin.

Stone - Sublimely Self Righteous. Best Black IPA I've had. Excellent beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

L1011 wrote: »

Also a White Hag "Wit" beer, which really isn't to my tastes at all.

Same. Didn't rate it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Stone - Sublimely Self Righteous. Best Black IPA I've had. Excellent beer.

Even better than the Kinsale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or Black Bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Yes but that's some compliment to kinsale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I've had a bottle of Fullers vintage ale (2008) sitting on a shelf in its box for the past ages. Decided to crack it open last night.
    Didn't really know what to expect but it was lovely. Full of flavour - fruit cake, sherry and a little bit of licorice. A nice sipper.
    Wonder what another few years would do, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Bruer 330ml cans,New Zealand's cheapest 4%. No taste at all, avoid at all costs, which isn't dear at 14euro for 20 cans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Tried Heineken's 'craft' offering last night- Cute Hoor. Surprisingly it was harmless enough. It's described as an ale but to me it looked and tasted like a lager with a few hops added. However the lager drinkers I tried it with thought it tasted too much like an ale.
    I had three pints of it which is more than I can manage with Smithwicks Pale so it must have something going for it. Had to go for a few Independents after though to fulfill my quota of proper beer.
    I guess it might appeal to some lager drinkers who want to wean themselves onto ale.

where did you obtain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Killanny Red from Brehon - I liked it nice malty and nice hint of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Founders Dark Penance last night, delightful drop, strong too at 8.7% which you can taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tried Heineken's 'craft' offering last night- Cute Hoor. Surprisingly it was harmless enough. It's described as an ale but to me it looked and tasted like a lager with a few hops added. However the lager drinkers I tried it with thought it tasted too much like an ale.
    I had three pints of it which is more than I can manage with Smithwicks Pale so it must have something going for it. Had to go for a few Independents after though to fulfill my quota of proper beer.
    I guess it might appeal to some lager drinkers who want to wean themselves onto ale.

Is that the same one that was badged as rising road in a few places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Killanny Red from Brehon - I liked it nice malty and nice hint of hope.
    I drank one last night to follow White Hag White IPA and a Amber Ella, probably a mistake, I found it overwhelmingly boring.

Easily. On second thoughts though, it's probably on a par with Dark Penance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,416 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

matrim wrote: »
    Is that the same one that was badged as rising road in a few places?

Yep same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,416 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

my friend wrote: »
    where did you obtain it?

Neactains Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Or Black Bucket?

Haven't got the chance to try that yet, do they have it in Abbot's?
    Yes but that's some compliment to kinsale

I just think it's a great beer! If I see it on draught I usually get it with no second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I drank one last night to follow White Hag White IPA and a Amber Ella, probably a mistake, I found it overwhelmingly boring.

I had it as my first beer before hopping up to hopped beers .
    Would say it had no taste after those you had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Haven't got the chance to try that yet, do they have it in Abbot's?

Nope.
    Was in The Bierhaus - will probably return at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Down in Wetherspoons in Blackrock for a cheap Saturday drink. A pint of ghost ship to start. They have a much better selection of bottles since I was last here see pint bottles or O'Hara's stout and some bottles of rogue ales too. They also have put some bottles of lagunitas ipa in the fridge... Best not leave them there..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Down in Wetherspoons in Blackrock for a cheap Saturday drink. A pint of ghost ship to start. They have a much better selection of bottles since I was last here see pint bottles or O'Hara's stout and some bottles of rogue ales too. They also have put some bottles of lagunitas ipa in the fridge... Best not leave them there..

They also have pint bottles of mcgraths and brus dubh. I had to pay 5.95 earlier for a Pepsi for herself and a bottle of lagunitas and a bottle of Rogue amber. Outrageous... And they didn't even give me the authentic Irish pub experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Funnily enough, last night I had a few Brehon reds as well as Poker Tree's Red Earl. Red Earl was okay but the Brehon, I have to say that it's actually quite enjoyable; not too sweet or overly powerful and it's fairly silky for what you'd expect to be a fairly malt led beer. That said, having it behind those other two beers and it's no wonder you felt it boring; safe may be a better phrase to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Had a bottle of white hag last night. Looked and tasted like a basic home brew IPA, looked like there was even a little bit of trub at the bottom of the bottle.

Think I'll avoid all new Irish craft beers until I hear people saying great things about them. So many bland and boring beers.

Few can of Modus hoperandi for later and a bottle of decadent, Adore modus! I think decadent finishes way too sweet, it kills the hops. Wont be buying anymore of it at that price tag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Had a bottle of white hag last night. Looked and tasted like a basic home brew IPA, looked like there was even a little bit of trub at the bottom of the bottle.

Think I'll avoid all new Irish craft beers until I hear people saying great things about them. So many bland and boring beers.

Few can of Modus hoperandi for later and a bottle of decadent, Adore modus! I think decadent finishes way too sweet, it kills the hops. Wont be buying anymore of it at that price tag!

It's superb on draught.

In terms of sediment in the bottom of the bottle, it's because it is bottle conditioned. Nothing to be afraid of, it's just a bit of yeast - leave it behind!

I love their beers but I'll admit that some of the bottles I have been a tad under carbed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement