Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Just finished a Kinnegar Limeburner Pale Ale. Looks and tastes like a bland boring lager. Completely forgettable unfortunately. Are some "craft" brewers hopping on the bandwagon and producing ordinary beers and sticking a "craft" label and price on them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Kinnegar definitely know what they're doing: Rustbucket and Black Bucket are testament to that. But Limeburner and Scraggy Bay have never done much for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd imagine the likes of Limeburner are produced to keep happy the people that "like" this new fangled craft beer thing but actually don't. Or being less cynical, it's made as an entry level inoffensive ale that's not a million miles away from a lager.

Quite clever if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Limeburner is the Golden Ale, or Blonde Ale or whatever the label is for those bland, tasteless lager-drinker targetting beers are, isn't it?

They certainly have a place as a gateway to craft beers, but that's about all they are.

get out of my head Baz ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Had a bottle of white hag last night. Looked and tasted like a basic home brew IPA, looked like there was even a little bit of trub at the bottom of the bottle.

Think I'll avoid all new Irish craft beers until I hear people saying great things about them. So many bland and boring beers.

Few can of Modus hoperandi for later and a bottle of decadent, Adore modus! I think decadent finishes way too sweet, it kills the hops. Wont be buying anymore of it at that price tag!

There's an issue with their quality control I'm guessing. The first batch in bottles was unreal, the next batch was meh. They stole the show at the rds with their offerings, so it's not a case of them not being able to brew...

Just opened a 2014 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.

Lovely caramel and bitter toffee backbone, rounded off with a nice bit of sharpness.

A sipper at 9.6% for sure, should be an enjoyable hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd imagine the likes of Limeburner are produced to keep happy the people that "like" this new fangled craft beer thing but actually don't. Or being less cynical, it's made as an entry level inoffensive ale that's not a million miles away from a lager.

Quite clever if that is the case.

Clever, I'm not so sure. I'm now less inclined to try any other offerings from Kinnegar as a result of Limeburner. I suppose if it tempts a few people in the right direction it's probably a good thing but I see no real differences between this and a mass produced lager and paying +€3.50 leaves an even sourer taste in the mouth.

veetwin wrote: »
    I'm now less inclined to try any other offerings from Kinnegar as a result of Limeburner.

I was the same for months, but I strongly urge you to re-think that, they have some pretty good beers, not least Rustbucket, Blackbucket and Yannaroddy Porter.

get out of my head Baz ffs

Im not happy about being here either. It's a dark dark loveless place.......nice bar though.

• Advertisement

Clever, I'm not so sure. I'm now less inclined to try any other offerings from Kinnegar as a result of Limeburner.
    I'd never write off a brewery because of one bad (or in this case boring) beer. You can't get it right all the time.

I suppose if it tempts a few people in the right direction it's probably a good thing but I see no real differences between this and a mass produced lager and paying +€3.50 leaves an even sourer taste in the mouth.
    I suppose the target market does though, and if they like Limeburner they are more likely to step up to the more "weirder" beers.

I'd never write off a brewery because of one bad (or in this case boring) beer. You can't get it right all the time.

they got it right with Limeburner, a boring Golden Ale, it's the very epitome of the style.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Had a bottle of white hag last night. Looked and tasted like a basic home brew IPA, looked like there was even a little bit of trub at the bottom of the bottle.

Think I'll avoid all new Irish craft beers until I hear people saying great things about them. So many bland and boring beers.

Few can of Modus hoperandi for later and a bottle of decadent, Adore modus! I think decadent finishes way too sweet, it kills the hops. Wont be buying anymore of it at that price tag!

Big fan of Modus too and thought exactly the same as you regards Decadence.

Having a Devil's Half Acre. Really is a quality beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

12th Abbey IPA : nothing amazing but not boring either. Reminds me of O'Haras IPA but not as hoppy.

AleSmith Anvil ESB. I've had ESBs before and I've felt a bit meh after them. This one is a different story. It's like the baby brother of Old Numbskull. At only 5.5% I drink it all night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Haven't been drinking beer since I polished off the drink store stash I got pre xmas.

On readings from here picked up a left hand milk stout along with a founders breakfast stout, founders all day IPA and a Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal stout.

Tastes have moved from loving stouts and porters to a more red ale longing in the last few months but have had a longing the last few days.

The milk stout I hadn't had before. Nice on the nose and lovely burnt and coffee notes, as I came to the end of it though it became very sweet. Possibly was a little warmer by the end than ideal.

On the All Day IPA currently. Quite nice example, very drinkable and could definitely be something that would suit a longer session if a little less carbonated.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

VW 1 wrote: »
    Haven't been drinking beer since I polished off the drink store stash I got pre xmas.

On readings from here picked up a left hand milk stout along with a founders breakfast stout, founders all day IPA and a Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal stout.

Tastes have moved from loving stouts and porters to a more red ale longing in the last few months but have had a longing the last few days.

The milk stout I hadn't had before. Nice on the nose and lovely burnt and coffee notes, as I came to the end of it though it became very sweet. Possibly was a little warmer by the end than ideal.

On the All Day IPA currently. Quite nice example, very drinkable and could definitely be something that would suit a longer session if a little less carbonated.

That's true to style for milk stouts though, they're sweet in general. They have lactose in them which is an unfermentable sugar.

If you like coffee you're in for a treat with the Founders Breakfast Stout and the Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Turpentine wrote: »
    That's true to style for milk stouts though, they're sweet in general. They have lactose in them which is an unfermentable sugar.

If you like coffee you're in for a treat with the Founders Breakfast Stout and the Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal.

I've had a milk stout before from bottle but the name escapes me. Wasn't quite as sweet!

Just through the Founders one and it was really enjoyable.

Heady aromas and long lasting flavour, beautiful notes of coffee and caramel throughout without ever becoming overpowering.

Looking forward to the Dungarvans now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Just opened a Siren Broken Dream Breakfast Stout its lovely stuff sorta like a more full bodied Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SavageD

Just finished a Founders - Backwoods Bastard. Really taste the bourbon, new favourite for me. Also had a Whitewater Hopplehamer, not bad.

• Advertisement

A crying restless baby turned my hour-long sip of SN Bigfoot into a 4 hour job, so now I'm cracking a homebrew IPA - 7 hop additions during the boil and dry hopped too, was bottled 2 weeks before Xmas. It's quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Tried a bottle of Blacks Rocketship IPA during the week and I was disappointed by it. Seemed to be lacking the punchy hop flavor you would expect from an IPA and was a bit heavy on the caramel malt.

On the other side of Cork, I had a bottle of Cotton Ball's Indian Summer last night. A hybrid ale that would go down wonderfully on a summers day. Nice citrusy hop flavor and a decent level of bitterness, but finishes crisp and clean like a lager. Pity it is so expensive at almost €4 for a 500ml bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First time in a GBB pub (rarely drink in Dublin, so working my way down the taps. Shouldn't have avoided Of Foam And Fury on price grounds for so long!

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

I had this years ago and didn't really like it. I think it was more to do with the fact that I just wasn't able to appreciate high abv beers at the time.
    Having it second time around and I'm not impressed at all. I just doesn't have all the qualities I'd associate with a good imperial stout. It's not awful, but it's not great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

I had this years ago and didn't really like it. I think it was more to do with the fact that I just wasn't able to appreciate high abv beers at the time.
    Having it second time around and I'm not impressed at all. I just doesn't have all the qualities I'd associate with a good imperial stout. It's not awful, but it's not great either.

Really?! Takes all sorts I guess.

Rounding off the weekend with a Siren Liquid Mistress, lovely stuff

drumswan wrote: »
    Really?! Takes all sorts I guess.

Rounding off the weekend with a Siren Liquid Mistress, lovely stuff

Maybe I jumped the gun, it got better as it warmed, it's a nice beer but there are sooo many other beers of the same style that are so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I guess things have moved on since 1994. She's a classic though and one I go back to now and again

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had Founders Breakfast Stout for the first, and last time this evening. I know it's very highly rated and a big favourite of a lot of people, but there was just too much coffee in it for my taste. I found it overwhelmed everything, I couldn't even get a hint of chocolate from it. Admittedly I don't drink coffee, although I do like coffee flavoured cakes, chocolate, etc., so maybe coffee drinkers have a different experience to mine when drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Tried Falco again without the over-anticipation which led to disappointment the first time.

Now I think it's a really great beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tried a bottle of Blacks Rocketship IPA during the week and I was disappointed by it. Seemed to be lacking the punchy hop flavor you would expect from an IPA and was a bit heavy on the caramel malt.

Interesting. I had in recently on draught and thought it was great. However, I really think they have some serious consistency issues with their bottling.
    Their first few batches weren't great, then they improved but I thought their batches of pale ale around Christmas were a bit ropey again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement