Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Got to try a taste of Black imperial stout from Mikkeller, could really get the 17.5% alcohol kick off it. And they were selling it in pints!

Jaysis! That's just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

1511113_10152547723682343_8897458747982596796_n.jpg?oh=9f1e2b939a9b65b7743393d45f183b51&oe=5555739F&__gda__=1432156180_2c0704177a3d60d02f545696ed87d294

Well it's 500ml but still, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Finally got my hands on a bottle of The Full Irish.

Going to buying more of this..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I bought some lesser-known vermouths at an ecological market this afternoon - Zecchini and Zarro, both from the Madrid region.

The tried the Zarro reserva and found it totally different to Zecchini so I'm looking forward to some easy sipping and comparison over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

White Gypsy -APA
    White Gypsy - German Doppelbock.mfirst time, not last.
    Backwoods Bastard to finish. Jeysus, I love this beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a pint of Heathen the GBB black Berliner Weisse last night, very sour, very much an acquired taste, got better as it warmed up but not something id have more than one of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A can of Bengali Tiger left over from last weeks visit to Wetherspoons...

can you take the cans away?

loyatemu wrote: »
    can you take the cans away?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Sampled a few Irish beers of various different styles recently which I hadn't had before..

Metalman - can's of PA
    9White Deer - Stag Ban
    N17 - Rye Ale
    Munster - Fir Bolg

All very nice with Metalman and N17 probably slightly ahead of the other two (IMHO), but expect to sample more of all them again. Really good quality beers and would be happy to serve any of them to visitors from foreign shores which isn't always the case with some of the newer Irish beers.

Would have sampled Cotton Ball - Indian Summer, but offie was charging €4.10...so left that and will seek it out cheaper elsewhere.

Also...had a couple of bottles of Anchor Beer - Saison 7.2% and seriously drinkable...€3.20 for 355ml bottle..will be buying more of this also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Advertisement

Ha, I was just watching that. I think it's great, very clever. If you can't beat them, take the p1ss out of them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

1511113_10152547723682343_8897458747982596796_n.jpg?oh=9f1e2b939a9b65b7743393d45f183b51&oe=5555739F&__gda__=1432156180_2c0704177a3d60d02f545696ed87d294

Well it's 500ml but still, madness.
    500ml, cheapest beer for 8€? in czech republic, where beer is piss cheap?

But damn, 5.40 or something is just way too much for a pint of Full Sail ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

snowblind wrote: »
    500ml, cheapest beer for 8€? in czech republic, where beer is piss cheap?

But damn, 5.40 or something is just way too much for a pint of Full Sail ;)

Polish zloty I think...

symbolic wrote: »
    Polish zloty I think...

Yep. Otherwise the Mikeller would be €38!

1 Zloty is worth €0.25 or thereabouts, which actually makes the beers on offer very reasonable. But hey, it's Poland, the barman would probably build you a house for a couple of extra Zlotys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ha, I was just watching that. I think it's great, very clever. If you can't beat them, take the p1ss out of them! :)

Yeah I thought they did a good job. I liked the extras such as the food board reading liver mousse, fried Brussels sprouts and steak tartar.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yep. Otherwise the Mikeller would be €38!

1 Zloty is worth €0.25 or thereabouts, which actually makes the beers on offer very reasonable. But hey, it's Poland, the barman would probably build you a house for a couple of extra Zlotys!

Very reasonable at that conversion rate alright! Nice.

I guess snowblind was right, "5.40 or something is just way too much for a pint of Full Sail"

Those are my kind of prices.

(But, yeah, the Czech Republic doesn't use the Euro either.)

Hah, of course, Monday brain....

Wouldn't surprise me if Black was 38€ a pint in some country. Wouldn't even mind, didn't like that beer at all

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah I thought they did a good job. I liked the extras such as the food board reading liver mousse, fried Brussels sprouts and steak tartar.

I don't know about you, but I've got a hankering for a nice glass of Pumpkin Peach Ale!

symbolic wrote: »
    I guess snowblind was right, "5.40 or something is just way too much for a pint of Full Sail"
    Well that kinda thing will never stop, even if it's actually a very cheap pint of craft beer compared to other countries in Europe with similar cost of living, in which 500ml of one usually costs ~7€. But hey, let's not get that in the way of neverending and constructive (sarcasm) complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Had a bottle of brú dubh last night and Brehon Brewhouse IPA

Very smoky taste of the brú I didn't like it and the Brehon pale ale tasted like an ashtray.i dunno where they're going making it so smokey

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Brehon IPA is made with smoked rye, but they don't put it on the label for fear of scaring people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Ah that makes sense.maybe they should put it on the bottles it's hella smokey

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grabbed a Youngs Double Chocolate in O'Briens because I was looking to see if they had GBB's Milk Chocolate Stout. Not liking it at all.

Also got the White Hag IPA, which in contrast to their wheat, I like.

snowblind wrote: »
    Well that kinda thing will never stop, even if it's actually a very cheap pint of craft beer compared to other countries in Europe with similar cost of living, in which 500ml of one usually costs ~7€. But hey, let's not get that in the way of neverending and constructive (sarcasm) complaining!

Was only joking, sorry man! I agree the comparisons between countries are not worth much without more facts. Although I suppose a lot of people would be just comparing price pints within the Irish market.

Anywho, I like the look of that Polish bar, must look it up if I'm over that way again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Black's Of Kinsale Rocket Ship is a bit like Sabotage by Trouble Brewing. I presume they use the same hops. It's crisper and thinner tasting, but still nice.

Ska's Decadent was nice enough. Not as great as I was hoping. Leaves your tongue seriously hop-burned if you drink the whole bottle yourself.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ska's Decadent was nice enough. Not as great as I was hoping. Leaves your tongue seriously hop-burned if you drink the whole bottle yourself.
    Huh! "if" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, some weirdos share beers.

Get your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Had to test is myself. All of it. It's safe for others, but yeah they can get their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Yes.

Had lunch and a pint in TTT on Saturday. Asked if I could buy a can to take away with me. Server apologised and said they're not an off licence, I'd have to drink it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement