Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Got two bottles of Sheep Stealer for later, was tempted by a 750ml Schneider Weisse Tap X Meine Porter but wasnt feeling the €10.99 tonight, anyone had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got two bottles of Sheep Stealer for later, was tempted by a 750ml Schneider Weisse Tap X Meine Porter but wasnt feeling the €10.99 tonight, anyone had it?

It's nice enough but not worth the money imo.
    The Tap X red wine barrel aged one is fantastic, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Every time I go into my local pub i ask for a sheep stealer and they never have any.turns out they had it before Xmas and they just didn't update their menu

Currently sipping a dungarvan mine head.its pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

just didn't update their menu

I HATE this, especially in places where they got in a few craft bottles once upon a time to look cool, then just never replaced them, or replaced them with Smithwick's Blonde or Paulaner.

But even apart from that extreme, it's just incredibly lazy and stupid to have stuff on a menu that isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Of all places, Eddie Rockets is stocking something approaching craft beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

never had it as thats actually more or less what they charge in the shops in Germany for it too.

For a couple of euro more you can have a full crate of Schneider (or other weissbier/ helles) - so unfortunately I never got round to giving it a lash.

The brewers have the justification that a nice wine can cost €6 or €10 or more per bottle, so they can charge the same for their better brews.
    God bless them for trying, but at that price you'd need to know its the best thing in the world, by a fair bit, before parting with the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

never had it as thats actually more or less what they charge in the shops in Germany for it too.

For a couple of euro more you can have a full crate of Schneider (or other weissbier/ helles) - so unfortunately I never got round to giving it a lash.

The brewers have the justification that a nice wine can cost €6 or €10 or more per bottle, so they can charge the same for their better brews.
    God bless them for trying, but at that price you'd need to know its the best thing in the world, by a fair bit, before parting with the cash.

Ya that was my thinking too, the Sheep Stealer went down a treat though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It's only 11 quid, touch of an exaggeration there maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Of all places, Eddie Rockets is stocking something approaching craft beers.

Kona big wave is very good, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeyrooo

But even apart from that extreme, it's just incredibly lazy and stupid to have stuff on a menu that isn't available.

Can be pretty expensive to update menus all the time..esp if the place is trying new beers out all the time.

• Advertisement

mickeyrooo wrote: »
    Can be pretty expensive to update menus all the time..esp if the place is trying new beers out all the time.

the easy answer here is to just not bother with laminated menus then, really, they are poxy to read anyway, and unless you are Spoons and know the menu won't be changing then what's the point?

Chalkboard it, that way it can be someone's job each morning.

the easy answer here is to just not bother with laminated menus then, really, they are poxy to read anyway, and unless you are Spoons and know the menu won't be changing then what's the point?

I run a pub in Croatia. If you sell a beer/anything that's not on the menu you can get a fine!! Lovely country to do business in!!

Well, I've never been to Croatia, so I wasn't talking about there.

places like The Norseman, GBB, Mulligans etc do alright with chalkboards.

Well, I've never been to Croatia, so I wasn't talking about there.

places like The Norseman, GBB, Mulligans etc do alright with chalkboards.

I know you weren't talking about Croatia but a stupid rule like that could hinder the growth of the industry (microbrewery) here. Ireland, as bad as it can be, is actually pretty good when it comes to encouraging business. Didn't realise how good until I came here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mickeyrooo wrote: »
    I know you weren't talking about Croatia but a stupid rule like that could hinder the growth of the industry (microbrewery) here. Ireland, as bad as it can be, is actually pretty good when it comes to encouraging business. Didn't realise how good until I came here.

Ah now, everybody knows that Ireland has the most restrictive regulations, highest taxes and highest prices regarding everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

drumswan wrote: »
    It's only 11 quid, touch of an exaggeration there maybe
    my normal tipple is 50 to 70c a bottle. I've a few crates of belgian beers for double or tripple the price, but for 1500% more than my regular tipple - it would want to be guaranteed damn good.

Ah now, everybody knows that Ireland has the most restrictive regulations, highest taxes and highest prices regarding everything!

Maybe I've been away to longðŸ˜႒

Had a bottle of St. Mels pale ale. Its not the best especially considering I had it alongside dungarvens Mine Head, both of which boast of their cascade dry hopping

Anybody have any thoughts on the Blackstairs pale ale. At 4.50 a bottle I couldn't really justify it

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Beavertown Gamma ray American pale ale, been indulging the last few weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

In Against the Grain yesterday, Pint of 8° North Amber Ella followed by a Kinnagar Scraggy Bay. Really liked the amber ella glad I tried it over going for a Full Sail but the Kinnagar was just ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

To Øl First Frontier IPA and an Of Foam and Fury last night. Two very tasty ales!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Anybody have any thoughts on the Blackstairs pale ale.

It's a lovely beer, just needs to be re-branded because it's nowhere near an IPA.

4.50 in an off license, was it?

Frigg that, but if you see it for around the 3 quid mark pick one up.

It's a lovely beer, just needs to be re-branded because it's nowhere near an IPA.

4.50 in an off license, was it?

Frigg that, but if you see it for around the 3 quid mark pick one up.

yeah my local offie. They had the ipa at 4.50 and I think it was a stout at €4 .they'd want to be pretty spectacular for me to pay that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Places even manage to fuck up updating chalk boards as well. Porterhouse Cork had a chalk board menu up for ages that was totally out of date. The reason they won't update it: some lad spent ages doing it before and it would be a shame to erase it :rolleyes:

They did eventually update it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

0Ya0P1Dl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up a couple each of the 3 new Lagunitas beers in Drinkstore tonight on the way home. They way saying that the first batch is nearly gone, more than likely be gone before the weekend is gone.

Had the Pale Ale and thought it was really nice, having the IPA now and it seems to be lacking in the hop department. Strange that both of them are the same abv too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Point Classic Amber - Stevens Point Brewery
    It's very malty hint of sweetness too. I get a metal taste too.Middle of the road beer.

Kentucky bourbon barrel ale. I like it but I've had nicer ones of this style

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Stoya Superior Lager :D mmmmm! ;)

I am after dry hopping a brew from last week and it tastes better than the stoya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Bazmo were there best before/bottled on dates on the bottles ? Couldn't see any when I was looking at them.

Having a black's rocketship, not great, pity as the aroma was rather nice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement