Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jsa112 wrote: »
    Bazmo were there best before/bottled on dates on the bottles ? Couldn't see any when I was looking at them.

Having a black's rocketship, not great, pity as the aroma was rather nice

Having the Little Sumpin' and it's really nice. Print on the neck says "29122015 2"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In the fridge for tonight:

Siren Liquid Mistress Red IPA

Weird Beard Decadence Stout

To Øl Black Malts & Body Salts Black Coffee IPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

RasTa wrote: »
    0Ya0P1Dl.jpg

Wow, where'd you get those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

0Ya0P1Dl.jpg

Rice Vinegar IPA is a hipster step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

anncoates wrote: »
    In the fridge for tonight:

Siren Liquid Mistress Red IPA

Weird Beard Decadence Stout

To Øl Black Malts & Body Salts Black Coffee IPA

Sounds unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

drumswan wrote: »
    Wow, where'd you get those?

Friend was back from New Zealand and left some treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Picked up some Lagunitas in Fresh in Smithfield square. They're cheaper than Drinkstore and also have a 6 for 5 mix and match deal on all craft beer, which is pretty good.

slayerking wrote: »
    Picked up some Lagunitas in Fresh in Smithfield square. They're cheaper than Drinkstore and also have a 6 for 5 mix and match deal on all craft beer, which is pretty good.

How much cheaper?

How much cheaper?

€2.95 for the pale ale and IPA (vs €3.00 in drinkstore)
    €3.25 for a little sumpin (vs €3.40 in Drinkstore)

Best saving is when you get the 6 for 5.

€2.95 for the pale ale and IPA (vs €3.00 in drinkstore)

pfft! You can get cans of Metalmen for much cheaper than that.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    pfft! You can get cans of Metalmen for much cheaper than that.

They're actually €2.95 in fresh and stacked next to SNPA, all day, punk etc. Rough deal.

Kinsale Stout on cask in Mulligan's. So impressed, best stout I've had in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 for €10 in Hollands of Bray (alongside their Metalman).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Kinsale Stout on cask in Mulligan's. So impressed, best stout I've had in a while.

Kinsale (Blacks) stout? Haven't heard of that before, Is it just out?

I've enjoyed everything I've had from them so far. Looking forward to trying that

Founders Big Lushious.

Nope, not liking this one at all. Don't like the sickly sweet berry finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Having a Buxton Rednik Stout, nice so far, quite smoky and nice hint of coffee too. To be followed by a Dogtoberfest Marzen, which i love.

matrim wrote: »
    Kinsale (Blacks) stout? Haven't heard of that before, Is it just out?

I've enjoyed everything I've had from them so far. Looking forward to trying that

I think its just out. I never heard of it myself. Went in to Mulligan's to try the Metalman Smoked Porter and the bar man gave me a taster. Wow! Big sweet chocolate, coffee, mocha flavours. Was sold immediately. So impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I think its just out. I never heard of it myself. Went in to Mulligan's to try the Metalman Smoked Porter and the bar man gave me a taster. Wow! Big sweet chocolate, coffee, mocha flavours. Was sold immediately. So impressed.

Can't wait to try this!

Those bottles of Beoir's beer of the year did not last long :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Had me some new ones today and yesterday. Picked up the Lagunitas range from drinkstore. Loved the pale ale, definitely up there for my favourite PA. The IPA I thought was grand, that's it. Wouldn't buy it again probably, it's not bad, but not good, just grand. Lil Sumpin is amazing. I think the best of the DIPA's I've had so far and I think I've had most of em at this stage, great great beer.

Also, Metalman Heat Sink on cask in Mulligans, chili porter, I'm a fan. Would prefer more chili but it's a very nice porter all the same. Metalman do amazing 'experimental/rotational/pilot series brews' or whatever they're called. Always impressed. Hopefully they'll start running some of them out on a semi-regular basis now that they have the canning thing up and running.

Having an O'Hara's Barrel Aged barley wine now. Great idea to have the Kolsch style swing top thing considering it's a 750ml bottle. More people should do that. It's a very very nice barley wine. I like barely wine. Barely wine. Can really get the whiskey barrel flavouring coming through. Reminds me just a little of Porterhouse's Devil's Half Acre.

And have a James Brown Brews (new Irish brewery) Chocolate Orange Stout in the fridge. I'm not a stout fan. The only one I've had that I thought was amazing was Goose Island Bourbon County, and I thought O Hara's Leann Foileann barrel aged was decent (apparently I'm a fan of barrel ageing), but usually stouts don't go down well with me. But the orange flavouring sounds interesting, maybe it'll do the trick.
    Anyone any recommendations for stouts for someone that really doesn't like most stouts?
    Also someone asked me today what the difference between porters and stouts were... I couldn't really say. I know I tend to like porters but not stouts, but, what's the differentiation? How would it be described taste and style wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

strobe wrote: »

Also someone asked me today what the difference between porters and stouts were... I couldn't really say. I know I tend to like porters but not stouts, but, what's the differentiation? How would it be described taste and style wise?

Oh oh!
    You've maybe kicked a hornet's nest, there!
    If people try to answer that question, it might require its own thread.

• Advertisement

Well if you prefer Porters over Stouts surely you could answer the question yourself?

Nah not really. I find it hard to verbalise these kinds of thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Guinness Dublin Porter doesn't have to be left to "settle" like their more traditional stout. That's one difference.

An File wrote: »
    Guinness Dublin Porter doesn't have to be left to "settle" like their more traditional stout. That's one difference.

That's nothing to do with the style though, it's to do with the nitro gas. There are red ales that need to be settled due to being served through nitro, doesn't make them a stout.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's nothing to do with the style though, it's to do with the nitro gas. There are red ales that need to be settled due to being served through nitro, doesn't make them a stout.

So what would you say is the difference. How would you describe it?

There is none

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Anyone any recommendations for stouts for someone that really doesn't like most stouts?

I believe stout to be a 'stronger' porter, its full title is stout porter but its been shortened to just stout. Porter should have less body and flavour than stout...

But this isn't always the case, especially these day. I've had stouts that could be classed as porters by the style police and vice versa.

My best advice ìs try everything and keep notes of the ones YOU like. Everyone has different palates, tastes and opinions.

Having said that I would suggest you try:

Porterhouse Wrasslers Stout
    Lefthand Milk Stout
    Baltika Porter (Not strictly a stout or porter,as I was educated on by TBN!)
    O'Shea's Stout
    Fullers London Porter
    Galway Bay Buried at Sea

If nothing else it will give you an idea of how confusing and complex beer styles can be!

But as I say, just keep trying different beers In general and dark ones if that's an area you'd like to explore.

Oh, and don't take it too seriously! :)

So what would you say is the difference. How would you describe it?
    There is none

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Drank a Wicklow Wolf Amber in The Martello in Bray last night, lovely beer, and much better that the previous two I tried.

Then headed into The Porterhouse where I was drinking O Brother's The Chancer - it's a great beer too.

Porterhouse Dublin Pale Ale is horrible, and their Hophead isn't much better imo.

• Advertisement

Drank a Wicklow Wolf Amber in The Martello in Bray last night, lovely beer, and much better that the previous two I tried.

Then headed into The Porterhouse where I was drinking O Brother's The Chancer - it's a great beer too.

Porterhouse Dublin Pale Ale is horrible, and their Hophead isn't much better imo.

Not much better last night, or just in general?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement