Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

In general, been a while since I actually drank it, previous I wasn't a fan because hoppy beers weren't my thing, but last night I gave it a bash with my new tastebuds, and found I don't like it now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In general, been a while since I actually drank it, previous I wasn't a fan because hoppy beers weren't my thing, but last night I gave it a bash with my new tastebuds, and found I don't like it now either.
    Ah I think it's great. I've always liked it though. That said, I wouldn't drink too many in a session as it'd strip the life out of your tastebuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I like Hophead too. Again, I wouldn't drink a load of them on a night out.
    Tonight, a Ska Brewing Decadent Imperial IPA.
    Very nice, very nice indeed.
    Think Of Foam and Fury but stronger and more evenly balanced at a whopping 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I love hopehead. Dublin pale ale is very weak though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Heroditas wrote: »
    Tonight, a Ska Brewing Decadent Imperial IPA.
    Very nice, very nice indeed.
    Think Of Foam and Fury but stronger and more evenly balanced at a whopping 10%

I saw this in O'Brien's Wines for something around the €12 mark. Reckon it's worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

RasTa wrote: »
    There is none
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    This

Ah right. So it's just a placebo effect probably? I hear stout and because I've had a few I don't like I'm already leaning to the negative side of things maybe? Or is it possible when people are brewing them they have 'stout' or 'porter' in mnd for how they are gonna name it and then lean a certain way?

I genuinely try to go in open minded to things when trying something. Even though I haven't in general liked stouts, every time I'm get one I'm going in thinking 'this might be great' (like with every beer I get). I don't particularly like a lot of porters (or things named 'porter') either, but just end up being more impressed by the porters in general. As I said I've only really loved two 'stouts'. I've liked a lot more 'porters'. And think I've tried about the same amount of each. Just coincidence/luck of the draw so, I suppose?

Had the orange chocolate stout tonight, was grand, wouldn't get it again. Had to work very hard to pick out any orange in there, subliminal almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Trying the Wicklow Wolf Black Perle porter, Blacks Rocketship IPA and Brooklyn Chocolate Stout tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

slayerking wrote: »
    I think its just out. I never heard of it myself. Went in to Mulligan's to try the Metalman Smoked Porter and the bar man gave me a taster. Wow! Big sweet chocolate, coffee, mocha flavours. Was sold immediately. So impressed.

Good stuff alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a Beoir Corcha Dhuibhne in Bierhaus Galway with a Banh-Mi sandwich, lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

lk67 wrote: »
    Seeing as your that side of town I presume you'll wander to Brouwerij 't IJ afterwards?!

Due to construction works we’re not able to give any tours in our brewery at least until April 2015. Our apologies for the inconvenience, our pub will be open all winter.

Will pay a visit anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Due to construction works we’re not able to give any tours in our brewery at least until April 2015. Our apologies for the inconvenience, our pub will be open all winter.

Will pay a visit anyway

It's well worth it IMO.

Amsterdam's such a great city for great beer. There's a few more must-go places there too. I'd love to be heading there again. Enjoy!

lk67 wrote: »
    It's well worth it IMO.

Amsterdam's such a great city for great beer. There's a few more must-go places there too. I'd love to be heading there again. Enjoy!

Just looking up places now, downloaded a beer map, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭Heroditas

An File wrote: »
    I saw this in O'Brien's Wines for something around the €12 mark. Reckon it's worth it?

Get two bottles of Of Foam and Fury instead!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have one of those set aside in the sitting room. Meant to have it on Friday. :pac:

Anyway! Finally collected the last of my Christmas stock. The full collection this year:

Whiskey: Jameson Caskmates

Ales: (Galway Bay) Of Foam And Fury; (8 Degrees) Simcoe, Full Irish and Double Irish; (Kinnegar) Black Bucket; (Porter House) Devil's Half Acre; Samichlaus Classic; (O'Hara's) barrel aged barley wine.

Stouts and porters: 2x White Gypsy Imperial Russian Stout; 2x O'Hara's barrel aged Leann Folláin, 1x Leann Folláin; 1x Franciscan Well Jameson barrel aged stout; 1x Sierra Nevada Narwhal; 1x Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout; 1x 8 Degrees Russian Imperial Stout; 1x Brown Paper Bag Project Pleasant Porter; 1x Founders Breakfast Stout; 1x Goose Island Bourbon County; 1x Nøgne Ø imperial stout; 1x Kinnegar Yannarodddy porter; 1x Dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout; 1x Coisbo Astoria Black; 1x Harviestoun Ola Dubh (12 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Where did you get those An File ? Been thinking about getting Harviestoun Ola Dubh, so do share your opinion when you drink it

jsa112 wrote: »
    Where did you get those An File ? Been thinking about getting Harviestoun Ola Dubh, so do share your opinion when you drink it

I bought one from blackrock cellar March last year, cracked it open on a Thursday afternoon during Cheltenham after my banker came in, was delicious :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Founders - Curmudgeon. Lovely as always.

Beavertown - Holy Cowbell. Real nice. Toasted malts and very piney in nose and flavour. Will be going back for more.

jsa112 wrote: »
    Where did you get those An File
    Jameson Caskmates; (8 Degrees) Simcoe, Full Irish and Double Irish; (Porter House) Devil's Half Acre; Samichlaus Classic; (O'Hara's) barrel aged barley wine, 2x O'Hara's barrel aged Leann Folláin, 1x Franciscan Well Jameson barrel aged stout; 1x Sierra Nevada Narwhal; 1x 8 Degrees Russian Imperial Stout; 1x Goose Island Bourbon County

I got the above over the space of a few months from Drinkstore.ie
    Everything else was O'Brien's Wine, Fine Wines, Desmond's Next Door or Tesco. :)

Fine Wines tend to be reliable enough for the 12 year barrel Ola Dubh. I've had it 2 or 3 times before over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Good shout! The money is way better spent on OFAF. The 100ibu's is lost in Decadent, itfinishes way too sweet. Can only get a bare hint of cascade hops from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

And if you must get Decadent, I'm pretty sure I saw it in the Hole in the Wall (also in D7) off-licence at €9; bit cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter, for something that is supposed to be very hop forward I found it very light/thin. There seemed to be a nice beer trying to get out.
    There is a chain of US stores called Trader Joes ( owned by either Aldi or Lidl), they have their own range of beer and at around $7 a six pack they are great value.
    I tried their Doppelbock and Dunkelweizen recently, I was very impressed (especially with the Dunkelweizen).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Omer blond : a traditional Belgian beer first time having it and after a hard days work it tasted very good.
    At 8% I'll only have 2 !

I see Guinness have brought out a double hopped lager +_+

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Double buzzword beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

O'shea's pale ale. Obviously not new, been around for a couple years.

Back down to €1.89 tho and for the price it's brilliant. Obviously not dry hopped or any of that malarkey for the price but as a straight forward pale ale it's great. Nice simple balance of malt and hops, very satisfying and refreshing.

Can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Got my hands on some St Bernardus Abt 12, roll on the rugby and a nice beer on Saturday evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Got myself a growler each of Sheep Stealer and Trouble Brewing Dash Away Cherry Chocolate Stout sitting in the fridge since the weekend.

Anyone try the Dash Away ?

Local offie also has got Moa Beer in from New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Dash Away is a lovely stout, the cherry is really noticeable on the nose, but the flavours are all bitter dark chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think that will be my beer for the game on Saturday so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement