Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Why do off licenses not have ginger beers? Ive tried four and all out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

BrewDog Brixton Porter and Odell Cutthroat Porter

Both decent, especially the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

anncoates wrote: »
    BrewDog Brixton Porter and Odell Cutthroat Porter

Both decent, especially the latter.

Where did you get the Brixton?

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Where did you get the Brixton?

Molloys, Tallaght

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We delayed Valentine's celebrations for 24 hours and had a romantic day today. Steak dinner in a nice restaurant, etc, but I was driving. Waited until we got back to the house before I treated myself to (at long last!) White Gypsy Russian style Imperial Stout.

I used a small wine glass for serving it and made the bottle last nearly 5 hours. Gorgeous stuff. One more bottle kept in reserve for another special occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Deco99 wrote: »
    Why do off licenses not have ginger beers? Ive tried four and all out

Used to get Ginger Joes in Tesco, not sure if they still do it, is pretty nasty stuff in my opinion, same goes for Ginger Beard from Wychwood, tastes like someone mixed a glass of lager with a non-alcoholic ginger ale, but it is widely available in good off-licenses.

What you should look out for is Hollows Ginger beer, made in collaboration with Fentiman's ( who make a lovely N/A ginger beer), only place I have ever really seen it in Ireland is healthfood stores, not many of which sell beers, Quay co-op in Cork sell it. Thomas Read on Dame street had it last time I was there, otherwise I would suggest trying Redmond's of Ranelagh or any healthfood stores that you know have a few beers on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Wasn't a huge fan of white gypsy's imperial stout, gimme porterhouse's celebration stout instead. O'Brother's american pale ale is pretty crap, we all weren't happy with the metalman can pricing, but this is ridiculous(3 euros for a poor 5% 330ml)

Used to get Ginger Joes in Tesco, not sure if they still do it, is pretty nasty stuff in my opinion, same goes for Ginger Beard from Wychwood, tastes like someone mixed a glass of lager with a non-alcoholic ginger ale, but it is widely available in good off-licenses.

What you should look out for is Hollows Ginger beer, made in collaboration with Fentiman's ( who make a lovely N/A ginger beer), only place I have ever really seen it in Ireland is healthfood stores, not many of which sell beers, Quay co-op in Cork sell it. Thomas Read on Dame street had it last time I was there, otherwise I would suggest trying Redmond's of Ranelagh or any healthfood stores that you know have a few beers on offer.

Ive had the hollows and fentimans. That's why I want more but the offies are always out. Im thinkin it may be seasonal?

Deco99 wrote: »
    Ive had the hollows and fentimans. That's why I want more but the offies are always out. Im thinkin it may be seasonal?

Which offies did you procure Hollow's from? I have not lived in Dublin (sorry but based on % of Ireland that live there I am going to assume you live there too) since craft-beers started becoming popular but recall it being €6 or so for a bottle in that bar I mentioned, is equally gougey on price in healthfood store here (€4 or so....) I would like to know where I might pick some up. I doubt it is a seasonal thing, I would more imagine that it is a pricey beer with not a great number of buyers, thus they only order it in when they run out (and their supplier does the same so it ends up taking ages to get back in stock!).

jsa112 wrote: »
    we all weren't happy with the metalman can pricing, but this is ridiculous(3 euros for a poor 5% 330ml)

I know most of us in this (poorly-)run Macro-beer market are accustomed to cans being the *cheaper* option but that is not the case in reality. You would pay €3 for a 330ml bottle of craft beer right? Cans just keep the beer in better shape so you can enjoy a nicer beer and are less abrasive to our environment to produce than glass bottles (doubly so in Ireland where we do not re-use glass bottles). Cans are the new Black with micro-brews in the States and we are all the better for it as a species, let's hope it catches on more here.

Bonus: you can sit anywhere in a city with shades passing you by thinking you are drinking some obscure brand of soda-pop/ethnic-shop juice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"shades"?

Jesus.

Excuse my ignorance but what the feck does "shades" refer to? In this context I take it isn't Sunglasses. Please don't tell me it would be like ahem "squares"... If so double Jeyzus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Fuzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The OB.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Fuzz!

Ah ok, doesn't make it any better!

Which offies did you procure Hollow's from? I have not lived in Dublin (sorry but based on % of Ireland that live there I am going to assume you live there too) since craft-beers started becoming popular but recall it being €6 or so for a bottle in that bar I mentioned, is equally gougey on price in healthfood store here (€4 or so....) I would like to know where I might pick some up. I doubt it is a seasonal thing, I would more imagine that it is a pricey beer with not a great number of buyers, thus they only order it in when they run out (and their supplier does the same so it ends up taking ages to get back in stock!).

I hail from outside the pale, the hollows and Fentimans was €3.69 i think and it was a carry out i think, maybe a donovans, tbh i'm not sure even though its just up the road

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what the feck does "shades" refer to? In this context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Oh yes.... I can not wait to try this!
    Fourcorners ‏@fourcorners
    @winstonia82 are you headed to @AlltechBrews? You'll have to stop by the @BeavertownBeer stand. Bloody Ell on draught!

Didn't even know they were going, no mention on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

RasTa wrote: »
    Oh yes.... I can not wait to try this!

Didn't even know they were going, no mention on the site.

Say that's four corners stand. With Brewdog too.
    In other news a bottle of Jaipur X landed in the door today after narrowly missing it on my UK trip last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Anyone try the latest Guinness release? 'Guinness Hop House Lager'. Must pop in and give it a go.
    http://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/the-pubs-you-can-get-a-pint-of-guinness-new-hop-house-13-lager-30980139.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I know most of us in this (poorly-)run Macro-beer market are accustomed to cans being the *cheaper* option but that is not the case in reality. You would pay €3 for a 330ml bottle of craft beer right? Cans just keep the beer in better shape so you can enjoy a nicer beer and are less abrasive to our environment to produce than glass bottles (doubly so in Ireland where we do not re-use glass bottles). Cans are the new Black with micro-brews in the States and we are all the better for it as a species, let's hope it catches on more here.

Bonus: you can sit anywhere in a city with shades passing you by thinking you are drinking some obscure brand of soda-pop/ethnic-shop juice!

The problem with the pricing is that a can of punk ipa is 4 for a tenner. While metal man is nice, its not as nice as punk. Or founders centennial ipa which is also 4 for a tenner.

Im not one of these who supports Irish companies because they're Irish. If a better product is available at the same price I'll buy it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone try the latest Guinness release? 'Guinness Hop House Lager'.
    Not bad, actually. Kind of like an English blonde ale, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Jack Cody's Blackjack Drogheda Cream Stout. Fairly poor. I bought 2 but will keep the second one for some night I'm already fairly well on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

While metal man is nice, its not as nice as punk.

I'm no good at describing the hops and the malty backbone stuff!...but to my tastes buds, Metalman is different to Punk and I need both of them in my life/fridge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I like both Punk and Metalman.
    Metalman is slightly more subtle and balanced though while Punk has a bit more of a hoppy kick.
    Both have their time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

In the Blackbird enjoying a few pints of Vietnow. I have said it before and will say it again. My favourite IPA from an Irish brewery. Shame it isn't available in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

In the Blackbird enjoying a few pints of Vietnow. I have said it before and will say it again. My favourite IPA from an Irish brewery. Shame it isn't available in bottles.

The Lagunitas cappuccino stout... Holy ****.. What a drink. Simply beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

my turn to brag about my american holiday buys...new orleans haul:

ewfvyso.jpg

A friend brought this back from Budapest:

15952553264_d372c3065a_c.jpg

Not bad but not great, too sweet for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Lagunitas cappuccino stout... Holy ****.. What a drink. Simply beautiful.

It is very nice, but I haven't ssen that in a long time here in California.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement