Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The Lagunitas cappuccino stout... Holy ****.. What a drink. Simply beautiful.

Where is this available?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Currently supping a Carrig coalface black ipa to be followed by some beavertown holy cowbell india stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Tried my first of the recent(ish) Wicklow Wolf brews last night, had the IPA and was fairly impressed, never had an IPA so PINEY, which is fitting for Wicklow. Pretty damn smooth for the style as well and the freshness of the hops which they grow themselves really shines through, pity they are a bit on the expensive side but looking forward to trying the rest of their range regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

having a Black's rocket ship, meeh not really feeling it a bit watery and not much hops going on, maybe the 2nd will improve things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Tried my first of the recent(ish) Wicklow Wolf brews last night, had the IPA and was fairly impressed, never had an IPA so PINEY, which is fitting for Wicklow. Pretty damn smooth for the style as well and the freshness of the hops which they grow themselves really shines through, pity they are a bit on the expensive side but looking forward to trying the rest of their range regardless.
    The Brehon IPA is fairly piney too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Just had a Punk IPA. Used to love this beer, but now it seems kind of unbalanced. Initial hit of hops with nothing behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

slayerking wrote: »
    Where is this available?

In the Blackbird Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

having a Black's rocket ship, meeh not really feeling it a bit watery and not much hops going on, maybe the 2nd will improve things

Yeah, they will surely taste alright by the 4th or 5th one anyhow! Not very impressed with the other 2 Black's offerings myself, I have had them a few times as they are literally the only thing resembling a craft-beer in my nearest offie (in a bit of a rough patch..), the other 2 I wouldn't call them *bland* but nothing riveting no mad tastes and yeah tastes a bit watery alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah, they will surely taste alright by the 4th or 5th one anyhow! Not very impressed with the other 2 Black's offerings myself, I have had them a few times as they are literally the only thing resembling a craft-beer in my nearest offie (in a bit of a rough patch..), the other 2 I wouldn't call them *bland* but nothing riveting no mad tastes and yeah tastes a bit watery alright.

They've another three:
    Pale Ale
    Black IPA
    Session IPA

I think they're great on draught but the bottles are inconsistent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Smithwicks pale ale. It's Ok I suppose. Better than regular smithwicks .

Amber Ella now, and two Full Irish for after.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I discovered Lilac in Marino today (well, I got a parking space, I pass it frequently) and grabbed a few bottles I've not had or only seen on draught. Buried at Sea is going down nicely and there's some Kinnegar and Donegal Brewing stuff for next

is it an off licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Couple of Changs tonight ( 2 for 2.50 in Lidl) to wash down some Thai inspired food. Then onto a Siren and maybe finish the night off with a Pokertree Oatmeal. never had anything by Pokertree so hopefully it will be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beavertown Holy Cowbell it's an India Stout !
    It's malty and hoppy with hints of chocolate too.

I really liked it.

ciaran76 wrote: »

I really liked it.

I enjoyed this as well. It was a couple of weeks ago that I had it and there was something that resounded with India. I don't no, slight flavours of Chai coming through. Certainly malty for me. I also really liked it! Much more so than their Smog Rocket and I do enjoy really peaty whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Farmageddon IPA and Amarillo : IPA was really nice the Amarillo was very grassy I found.

Need to try it again as the other beer might have tainted my taste buds.

Full Irish is not as hoppy as Amber Ella, and I couldn't taste the FI after the bottle of AE, weird.

Now that I'm settled into the second bottle of FI it's pretty decent, as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Red Wolf wrote: »
    I enjoyed this as well. It was a couple of weeks ago that I had it and there was something that resounded with India. I don't no, slight flavours of Chai coming through. Certainly malty for me. I also really liked it! Much more so than their Smog Rocket and I do enjoy really peaty whiskeys.

I think the India reference is more to do with it being a cross between an IPA and a stout. I really really liked it.

Had a bottle of Stone Smoked Porter with Chocolate and Orange Peel tonight. Really disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a siren Liquid Mistress, Undercurrent and Soundwave tonight. Liquid Mistress was my favourite of the three, followed closly by soundwave, with undercurrent being nice but a step below the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another bottle of White Hag Samhain tonight, such a good beer.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think the India reference is more to do with it being a cross between an IPA and a stout. I really really liked it.

Had a bottle of Stone Smoked Porter with Chocolate and Orange Peel tonight. Really disappointing.

I agree that there is a very IPA nose off it but yet I still fell there is something else. Maybe subliminal message there but for me I'm getting something.

matrim wrote: »
    Had a siren Liquid Mistress, Undercurrent and Soundwave tonight. Liquid Mistress was my favourite of the three, followed closly by soundwave, with undercurrent being nice but a step below the others.

Just opened my last of the night which so happens to be mob first undercurrent.nInwouldnagreenthta while nice I'm also underwhelmed, maybe the fact that James Bluntbhappens to be on the TV spoutin your beautiful doesn't help. To be honest I think it has potential but at the minute for me it is a bit wet.

Another bottle of White Hag Samhain tonight, such a good beer.

+1

Had a couple of Aventinus tonight.....

Its up there.....

Off topic, but when your wife is up in bed and your down stairs and this song comes on. Do you want to go upstairs or open another of your favourite brews

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

matrim wrote: »

Big fan of the Siren beers here. Soundwave and Broken Dream are great. To be honest I put Broken Dream just below Founders Breakfast Stout, and I think that's only because I find it a bit sweeter on the finish.

But tonight, I've mostly been drinking Lagunitas.

I'll be honest, when I first tried them a few weeks ago I was a bit underwhelmed, but that was because from the hype and location I (in my ignorance) expected hop beasts.

Fabulous beers. Well balanced with a unique house style (as far as I'm concerned). Going to be part of my regular rotation from here on in.

On a seperate note, I have in my possession a bottle of Brooklyn Dark Ops. Can anyone who has read this far down the post give me an opinion on it. I should probably save it for a special occasion but...

I'm feeling very tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Black Ops, not Dark Ops.

That fecker's going back in storage, I don't deserve to drink it now either way.

Any opinions appreciated though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

ciaran76 wrote: »

I really liked it.

Dying to try this. Does anyone know if Beavertowns Blood Orange IPA is available over here yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement