Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

I was in Against the grain last night. They had one of the owners from Left Hand over, free beer! We did tasters of a polestar pilsener, two black jack porter and a barley wine. Some free bottles of milk stout after. Oh and they fed us!!! A great night!

More Left Hand brew will be available later this year. Cant wait to try the new IPA's introvert and extrovert. Chris from Lefthand was loving it, selling stout to the Irish.

This is shaping up to be a great year for beer in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Off topic, but when your wife is up in bed and your down stairs and this song comes on. Do you want to go upstairs or open another of your favourite brews

I'd say someone has a sore head this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Has anyone seen beoir #2 available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Has anyone seen beoir #2 available anywhere?

Think I read that it was at the Fran Well (or Bierhaus) cask festival last week. But haven't heard of it in Dublin yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Lagunitas IPA on draft in Cassidys on westmoreland street last night. Super beer, and that's after reading everyone here raving about it. Might drop down to drinkstore to pick up a couple more.

Followed by a Founders All Day IPA, 5AMSaint and a couple Barrelheads. Nice evening in town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Pretty sure I got the last bottle of Sumpin Sumpin in Blackrock cellar today should anyone not want to be dissapointed :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Picked these up.

Some 2014 Ruthless, love this beer.

Holy Cow Bell, after reviews here and a mate this afternoon.

Beavetown Heavy Water - Sour Cherry & Sea Salt Imperial Stout. Can't wait to drink this one later.

Little Sumpin, again, first time having this.

And something Irish of course, some Independent Stout, which I was recommended today too.

Left Hand Nitro Stout which I've let pass me by for so long.

10996548_10152708648028873_458148887073268011_n.jpg?oh=02b0862f8ce5c69ea5ff2f6a353b7407&oe=55839ED1&__gda__=1435132910_111f32319f8fad350c9ee5e00b6b961b

Pretty sure I got the last bottle of Sumpin Sumpin in Blackrock cellar today should anyone not want to be dissapointed :-)

Well I just drank my last bottle of it this morning and had planned to go back tomorrow to restock! God damn you!

Had the Lagunitas IPA in cassidy's earlier and my usual drop if Vietnow. In porterhouse temple enjoying the tsb on cask. I have spotted some little Sumpin in the fridge here but may go for the 8 degrees RIS.. It will give me the stamina I require for the walk to the voodoo lounge..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Had Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale for first time last night, great to try a beer that lives up to the hype :D
    Pretty hard to specify what I liked about it, very unique beer, grabs what it wants from a load of different styles then runs off down the street howling! Can't wait to try the rest of Lagunita's brews

Well the navigation system is down and ended up in black sheep. Either my taste buds are shot from the Vietnow and lagunitas ipa or full sail does not taste as hoppy as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

NuaghtyUpload.jpg?itok=amU2nZPi

Nothing to write home about on initial tasting. Might try it again though as I wasn't in the mood last night.

Will be trying this tonight:

Vital%20Spark%20upload.jpg?itok=yiPtDjD4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Brehon Brewhouse, Shanco Dubh Porter. 7.7%

My first beer from Brehon and I must say I'm very impressed.

it's their best, and the Blonde and Red are decent for the style, the IPA is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

it's their best, and the Blonde and Red are decent for the style, the IPA is pretty good.

Blonde and red don't really interest me but I'll give the ipa a go. Cheers.

Just finished the porter. Lovely aftertaste. Definitely will buy again. Meaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had the following beers last night:

Metalman Pale Ale (can)
    Beavertown Gamma Ray (can)
    Lagunitas IPA (bottle)
    Modus Hoperandi (can)

Somewhat controversially, I thought the Lagunitas wasn't as nice as the Gamma Ray or the Modus. Gamma Ray is right up there for me when it comes to American style IPAs.

Tonight, I've started with Blacks Rocketship. Typical inconsistency from them. This particular bottle is going down very well. Nice amount of carbonation and the right level of bitterness.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Had the following beers last night:

Metalman Pale Ale (can)
    Beavertown Gamma Ray (can)
    Lagunitas IPA (bottle)
    Modus Hoperandi (can)

Somewhat controversially, I thought the Lagunitas wasn't as nice as the Gamma Ray or the Modus. Gamma Ray is right up there for me when it comes to American style IPAs.

Tonight, I've started with Blacks Rocketship. Typical inconsistency from them. This particular bottle is going down very well. Nice amount of carbonation and the right level of bitterness.
    What's controversial about that? Modus Hoperandi & Beavertown Gamma Ray are nicer beers than the Lagunitas IPA.

The Lagunitas is a solid IPA but it's nothing spectacular imo. The other two are fantastic beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Lagunitas IPA and a White Hag Oatmeal Stout on draught earlier. First time trying the WH a Oatmeal - not to shabby.

back home having a couple of Lagunitas IPA's to be followed by the last two Sumpin's Incould get my hands on. Still lovin these, just delicious.

Meaty.
    Smoked Malt seemingly.

What the hell is in the Holy Cowbell beer? It's so complex; sweetness, pepper, sherbet, coffee, vanilla, hop bitterness, malt caramel, a bit of smokiness, vegetable leafiness

Take a sip of it, swallow and breathe out over your tongue and you get different flavours, it's almost like drinking whisky.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What's controversial about that? Modus Hoperandi & Beavertown Gamma Ray are nicer beers than the Lagunitas IPA.

The Lagunitas is a solid IPA but it's nothing spectacular imo. The other two are fantastic beers.

the Beavertown definitely over the Lagunitas IPA. I'd rather have a Hoptimum over the Modus Hoperandi though.

Blonde and red don't really interest me

oh yeah, me either - in fact, I actively hate "Irish Red" ales, stupid category.

• Advertisement

Wicklow Wolf - Kentucky Common. Quite nice, although it reminds me a lot of Kvass with its strong malt forward profile, but there's a slight sourness that stops it from being too sickly sweet. Second beer from these guys and I've liked both so far, especially the Amber.

Christ, I need to stop getting and keeping bad impressions from the first beer I drink from a brewery, then ignoring them.

Had that with Wicklow Wolf, the Brown Ale is abysmal (on tap in The Harbour Bar, Bray), and so I ignored their other beers until I saw the Amber in another pub in Bray 2 weeks ago.

Really good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Blacks Model-T Stout, absolutely beautiful. Blown away by it.
    Their best work yet and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Yeah I am terrible for shunning breweries after having a bad beer too, for instance I have been stubborn as all hell to try anything of O'Hara's even though people rave about Leann Folláin after having an abysmal Curim and their horrid DIPA that tastes like it is laced with sweeteners and flavouring instead of actually hopping the stuff (like Molson seem to do with Blue Moon varieties).

Try the Wicklow Wolf IPA, is delicious and a refreshing take on the style in that it is not just lashing a bucket of sharp citrus at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Couple of mates of mine would be very much of the opinion that the Lagunitas is the best of the bunch.
    I found the Lagunitas leaves quite a sour aftertaste. Not to my taste at all.

I'm still drinking that Cowbell, it's getting better as it's warming up too.

Everyone should buy a can or bottle of this, it's an amazing beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Each to their own, but modus hoperandi is by far the best ipa out of those, couldn't separate lagunitas from gamma ray from what I remember. No idea bout a sour aftertaste for lagunitas.

Having an 8 degrees gasman, not bad, but whatever rye ipa they did before was nicer.

The Evil a Twin Falco/Hopflood 4 for €10 deal in O'Briens is great value. Been having a few of each over the last while. Two fantastic beers.

The Hipster Ale is also part of the deal, but it's sh1t.

Seemingly off licences are finding it hard to get rid of Hipster, and it's because of the name, people just won't buy it.

• Advertisement

The Evil a Twin Falco/Hopflood 4 for €10 deal in O'Briens is great value. Been having a few of each over the last while. Two fantastic beers.

The Hipster Ale is also part of the deal, but it's sh1t.

Agreed, Hipster Ale (name aside) is pure muck. Haven't had the HopFlood but do enjoy the Twin Falco.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement