Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭toffeeshel

laros wrote: »

Yep. That's what I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I heard that cock and bull story was bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Had an Amber Ella for first time tonight (I know, I know, I am seasons behind on my seasonals...), good thing I was drinking simple Perlenbachers after as my taste buds were DESTROYED!! Lovely beer, though maybe just a bit *too* much flavour, felt like my mouth got in a scrap with a whole crew of rowdy IPAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Sipping on a The Celt Experience 614 Années Chocolate Rye Porter. It's very much in the Clotworthy Dobbin ruby porter territory - quite transparent and with a thin head. It's very enjoyable, with a nice chocolatey sweetness behind some cascade hops. I'm not sure what, if anything, the rye brings to it but I'm happy with my choice. I was going to say that it's very sessionable but upon looking at the label it's 8.5% ABV! Cripes, it went down very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Beoir #2 is very nice. Sweet and juicy.
    Following it with a trouble brewing gate crasher.
    I think I drank these in the wrong order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Trying a Nøgne Ø Porter. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

So, not sure if this is suitable for this thread, but do all lagers taste bland? Will admit, I've never had a craft lager, as lager isn't really my thing. But I've tried practically every macro brewed lager you can buy in most bars, and none of them do it for me. Some are really bad, tasting practically like water, other have a bit of a bitter taste, but not much else. They just don't seem to have even a fraction of the taste of stouts or ales, even the macro-brewed ones. Would it be worth my while trying some craft lager? Or is lager just always going to be bland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I've been trying darker lagers recently; Doppelbocks, Vienna, Dunkelweissens.
    Keep an eye out, they are not bland at all.
    Pilsners can also be quite nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Would it be worth my while trying some craft lager? Or is lager just always going to be bland?
    Two favourites of mine (both macrobrewed rather than "craft") would be Pilsner Urquell and Fischer Helles. They're opposite poles on the flavourwheel so if you don't like 'em, perhaps pale lager isn't for you. But, as Ipso says, there's a raft of great amber-to-dark lagers around, like Brooklyn Lager, Paulaner Salvator and BrewDog Zeitgest, for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    BrewDog Zeitgest

Hasn't been made in a while I don't think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    Hasn't been made in a while I don't think.
    I'm never sure. Perhaps I'm just seeing old bottles about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Beavertown, smog rocket smoked porter, lovely stuff. Been drinking their gama ray apa these past few weeks so was eager to try out their other brews.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Or is lager just always going to be bland?

try some German Helles for a change, problem is you won't find them in most bar's, so need to sample in a offie.

Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lager is really good, as is the Augustiner stuff.
    Closer to home, not a lager but 8 degree's Pilsner can be picked up for about 2euro's in most offies now.

If you want to try something a bit different could try bottle of Duvel, really nice strong belgian pale ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Had a bottle of Trouble Brewing last night. Quite nice. 1.99 (500ml) in the offy so a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

which beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Trying the Guinness West Indies Porter for the first time tonight. Its actually v nice. Got a couple of Brooklyn Brown Ale as well. Looking forward to trying that in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anchor Saison (Baldy Conscience loves them) Spring ale : Its a strange beer its tastes like a Belgian beer then follows up with plenty of lemongrass and the aftermouth feeling is of having sucking on some clove sweets.
    I don't love it and I don't hate it but its interesting.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Störtebeker Schwarzbier. I've had better schwarzbiers, but seeing as they're not too commonly available if I spot one I'll give it a go. Decent enough without being an essential buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Nothing new, in the local off licence, that caught my attention tonight.

Went for Founders All Day, Lagunitas IPA (still haven't had any of the rest of the range, must try and fix that this weekend),
    then onto a new label Jackhammer and then a Founders Breakfast stout.

The amount of choice in the local off licence is amazing, but its shocking how I have become - meh need something new.

• Advertisement

Stone Brewing - Master of Disguise. It's an Imperial Golden Stout. Interesting to say the least.

Cotton Ball Kerry Lane Pale Ale - it's grand as Pale Ales go, Hooker, Metalman, it's as good as any of them really.

Not going to get anyone excited, but it does a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Old Curmudgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cotton Ball Kerry Lane Pale Ale - it's grand as Pale Ales go, Hooker, Metalman, it's as good as any of them really.

Not going to get anyone excited, but it does a job.

Had my first pint of this on Tuesday- it might not be the most complex beer, but it has a serious "more-ish" quality to it. Very seasonable

Pity I had to dash for a train

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Euphoria from Ska; Not bad, has the wintery/scotch ale feel to it. Certainly not a patch on Modus.

Black Betty BIPA from Beavertown; Disappointed with this. Unbalanced, abv too noticeable at the expense of any of the "black" flavours coming through. Kinsale's is far superior for example.

Gamma Ray also from Beavertown; A very nice, solid and drinkable APA. Reliable.

I'm seeing on Twitter that craft is gone from Farrington's. Seemingly Heineken offered a substantial sum.

This is a sad day for Craft Beer in Dublin.

I loved that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I'm seeing on Twitter that craft is gone from Farrington's. Seemingly Heineken offered a substantial sum.

I loved that place.

Sad day indeed, that's temple bar a totally no go area for me now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ah FFS, that's disappointing news. Farringtons had a great selection and I loved the way they used to have the "guest brewery" occasionally

Sad day indeed.
    It just shows you how threatened the big boys have become though. I'd say they'd be extremely fearful of craft beer taking hold in Temple Bar and were willing to pay whatever it takes to stop it growing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I loved that place.

All the craft taps are gone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement