Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,781 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hopefully somewhere else takes on their supply and don't have annoyingly loud guitar players on every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I was in the drury restaurant last night and they had bottles of dogfish head, my Antonia. €9 a bottle but I had to try it. Was very good indeed. I Never thought I'd see dogfish in Ireland. The restaurant had a fantastic craft beer selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My Antonia is beautiful. Doesn't taste like it would be 7%. Lovely stuff.

It would be great if it appeared in the offies, I assumed there was never enough produced to export.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clingon Killer

this is the sort of underhand tactic often used by the big 2. If they cant stop you one way they will just beat you up with a cheque book. This should not be let pass without a ruckus being created as they and their diageo mate will just get nastier. A doorstepping of the managing director by a journalist would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It would be great if it appeared in the offies, I assumed there was never enough produced to export.

It's been available in Drinkstore for the last year or two.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's been available in Drinkstore for the last year or two.

Really, news to me anyway. Never came across it and it's not showing on their site. Unless I'm not looking properly.

Edit. Just rang them because I would have nipped over to buy some. They haven't had any in a few years.

Really, news to me anyway. Never came across it and it's not showing on their site. Unless I'm not looking properly.

Edit. Just rang them because I would have nipped over to buy some. They haven't had any in a few years.

Whoever you spoke to is telling lies. I looked back at previous orders and I bought some Christmas 2013 and I've definitely seen it available from them all last year. Either way, I suppose it doesn't help your case if they say they don't have any now. :(

My Antonia is always available on the shelves in Mace on South Circular Rd. beside James' St Hospital if you're ever there. Less than €4 a bottle, too. Fantastic selection and prices there.

Yeah whoever answered said no flat out. Well I'll be keeping an eye out for it from now on so thanks for the heads up guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sad day indeed.
    It just shows you how threatened the big boys have become though. I'd say they'd be extremely fearful of craft beer taking hold in Temple Bar and were willing to pay whatever it takes to stop it growing.

It's not the first time they've been offered a "deal" - in fact, the manager took great pride in telling me that they'd turned down a "three figure sum" from one of the big boys to remove the craft taps from the "main" bar three years ago.

This deal seemingly involves a LOT of free beer though, that they can then charge Temple Bar prices for.

Pity, and I'm glad I knew this morning, going to town later for a few, going to hit the B&C as I'm actually going to be in Temple Bar later in the evening, Farrington's would have been perfect.

I feel so let down, I've been recommending that pub to all and sundry for years now.

On a side note, anyone know of there's anything decent in The Front Lounge?

Shame about Farringtons. I occasionally work near there and it used to be really busy when they had all the Fransiscan Well and 8Degree taps, to the point where I couldn't get in for a sneaky one before work. It's been quite empty midweek as have a lot of places in Temple Bar lately.

It's not the first time they've been offered a "deal" - in fact, the manager took great pride in telling me that they'd turned down a "three figure sum" from one of the big boys to remove the craft taps from the "main" bar three years ago.

"three figures sum"?

€100-€999? That's not an awful lot!
    Are you sure that's what he said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I was just in there and I see beer mats over a lot of the taps. Maybe just gonna finish off the kegs they have I guess.

That's a shame but can't blame them I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

My way of looking at it is a business is free to do what they want. However they had an usp that they no longer have, so this could do them more damage than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Reel Deel Jack the lad IPA it's a nice IPA ,malty IPA not as hoppy a I hoped but not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Having my first can of Metalman (2.50 SuperValu) and to be honest I find it to be totally bland. I served it cold at first because that's what it said on the tin (geddit?) but I've been looking at it for 40 minutes now and it's still tasteless.
    Punk IPA next so that should get my taste buds working but if not I can guarantee my pleasure with a Kinsale Black IPA waiting in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Having my first can of Metalman (2.50 SuperValu) and to be honest I find it to be totally bland. I served it cold at first because that's what it said on the tin (geddit?) but I've been looking at it for 40 minutes now and it's still tasteless.
    Punk IPA next so that should get my taste buds working but if not I can guarantee my pleasure with a Kinsale Black IPA waiting in the wings.

Agree with the metalman, just couldn't be arsed for what it is - blahhhhh
    breaded off punk is alright but haven't had any in a couple of years. Last time Inhad a blacks IP a it was good..ll

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Trying a Bru Rí here. Very nice drop.

Newbie at all this so I like to try a few different ones every week. Selection seems to be massive nowadays. A million years away from the bland generic Carlsberg, Heineken, Tennents etc from my younger days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Powering through a litre of Blacks Model T, marvellous stout.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Drinking Beavertown Smog Rocket. Only ever had one smoked porter before (Brewdog/Victory U-Boat) and to me this is definitely smokier, like a nice peated whiskey. Not one for knocking back, more one to savour slowly, but definitely one I'll buy again. I really like the can as well, very different to the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My way of looking at it is a business is free to do what they want. However they had an usp that they no longer have, so this could do them more damage than good.

To be honest, others will continue to step in. The market is expanding.

I only ever went in for the beers and tolerated the diddly aye sh1te and tourists so will just avoid the place and temple bar now.

Am actually meeting a friend midweek who works near there and would have been going there. Black Sheep only an extra ten minutes walk so fcuk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

anncoates wrote: »
    To be honest, others will continue to step in. The market is expanding.

I only ever went in for the beers and tolerated the diddly aye sh1te and tourists so will just avoid the place and temple bar now.

Am actually meeting a friend midweek who works near there and it would have been going there. Black Sheep only an extra ten minutes walk so fcuk them.

It was a good spot for a quiet one early afternoon, but yeah just a short walk to the BS or BD

B&C is close enough too, and The Porterhouses, Sweetmans, Cassidy's, P-Mac's etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Farringtons was one of the few with the great beer selection and the football on. Ahhh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Highlights of that crazy Saturday night include

Founders Big Luscious
    Founders Bolt Cutter
    Beavertown Bloody Ell and Moose Fang
    Some Pinnaple IPA from a Swedish brewery I forget the name of
    Lagunitas Cappuccino stout

Beoir#2 is nice but wouldn't try again

Thought Blacks Hi-Vis was poor

Is the Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout available in bottles anywhere? Haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

+1 to the Bloody Ell and the Pineapple IPA. I think the brewery was called Zip's

I really liked the coconut pale ale from Hopfenreich Brewery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Had a Evil Twin Hipster Ale in Platform Pizza in Bray on the weekend. Very underwhelming. The hops were just bitter and it didn't stay long on the palate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement