Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had a Evil Twin Hipster Ale in Platform Pizza in Bray on the weekend. Very underwhelming. The hops were just bitter and it didn't stay long on the palate.

It's a terrible beer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had two pints of Franny Well Chieftain IPA on my way to the match yesterday.
    Hops, hops, and eh ... not much else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Tired two Nogne beers I hadn't come across before, Tiger Tripel and Summer Sommer. Both very tasty if a little sweet for me. The Summer Sommer is a collaboration with a New Zealand brewery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Going to head along to this in LMG on the 16th

Anyone else going?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Heroditas wrote: »
    I had two pints of Franny Well Chieftain IPA on my way to the match yesterday.
    Hops, hops, and eh ... not much else really.

Yeah, they have it on tap in Fibbers and serve it in the nice glasses, but it's definitely missing something. Or a few things. It's not bad, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Tried Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi and have to say I was a bit disappointed, went down easy and tasty enough but a tad bland. In my opinion anything with 'Hop' in the title should be tangier and/or more bitter than this was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tried Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi and have to say I was a bit disappointed, went down easy and tasty enough but a tad bland. In my opinion anything with 'Hop' in the title should be tangier and/or more bitter than this was.

Get yourself to your doctor straight away and tell him that your tastebuds have stopped working!

Maybe I got a dud so! Guess I have to try this one again now...

OKay, maybe bland is being far too harsh about it, but was not bursting with flavour like I expected. Maybe my expectations were set too high.

Got a very, very bitter Big Job tonight. Haven't had it in about a year, but it wasn't a smooth and tasty as I remember. I might have gotten a bad bottle.

Washed the taste away with a nice Simcoe from 8Degrees.

• Advertisement

Modus Hoperandi has loads of lovely full flavours going on for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Lads looking for an off license in town that has some decent cans. I know Drinkstore has some good ones, but too far out.
    Any more central places with the likes of Metalman, Sierra nevada, Founders?

Lads looking for an off license in town that has some decent cans. I know Drinkstore has some good ones, but too far out.
    Any more central places with the likes of Metalman, Sierra nevada, Founders?

Baggot st wines, there's an offo at whelans too afaik

Baggot st wines, there's an offo at whelans too afaik
    Cheers, any Northside ones?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A few of the Spars around the city centre are stocked by Four Corners so have Metalman and BrewDog. The one where the Luas crosses Capel Street is a good bet on the northside. On the southside, try Parliament Street or the bottom of George's Street.

Did someone say Supervalu have cans of Metalman?
    Just need a few for the train

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭toffeeshel

Cheers, any Northside ones?

Try WJ Kavanaghs on Dorset St

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Galway bay are launching another batch of two hundred fathoms in the brew dock tomorrow at 7

matrim wrote: »
    Galway bay are launching another batch of two hundred fathoms in the brew dock tomorrow at 7

With teeling whiskey, can't wait to grab a few bottles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'll be in!

• Advertisement

I see FranWell are doing Chieftain in Jameson's casks. Might be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Are there any Helles fans in here ? Took my buddy almost 6 years to get me off Heineken and now I am a total Bavarian beer snob over him . Some tasty favs , Hacker Phscor, Augesteiner Helles , Hofbrau, Tegnersie,

All available from web-bier.de , they can UPS to your door cheaper , way cheaper than the off licenses are selling it . Box arrives shipping all in for around 55 euros for 24 bottle crate, same thing in offy would set you back over 90 euro.

dbit wrote: »
    Are there any Helles fans in here ? Took my buddy almost 6 years to get me off Heineken and now I am a total Bavarian beer snob over him . Some tasty favs , Hacker Phscor, Augesteiner Helles , Hofbrau, Tegnersie,

All available from web-bier.de , they can UPS to your door cheaper , way cheaper than the off licenses are selling it . Box arrives shipping all in for around 55 euros for 24 bottle crate, same thing in offy would set you back over 90 euro.

Not bad, I wouldn't mind getting in some ale from the US. Pity shipping would cost so much

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Not bad, I wouldn't mind getting in some ale from the US. Pity shipping would cost so much

Also, be aware that there is extra duty added to products purchased outside the EU. I learned this to my cost recently when I ordered CDs from Amazon's US site and the An Post delivery man hit me with a bill for the extra duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

All available from web-bier.de , they can UPS to your door cheaper , way cheaper than the off licenses are selling it .
    Just opened an account & put in my first order :D

Thanks for sharing ;)

What is the average time frame for delivery in your experience?

Also, be aware that there is extra duty added to products purchased outside the EU. I learned this to my cost recently when I ordered CDs from Amazon's US site and the An Post delivery man hit me with a bill for the extra duty.

In the case of WEb-bier it doesn't come into play something to do with the total value of beer minus the shipping , just slides you in under the requirement for duty, Plus Europe is supposed to be a single state for that no ? As in we cannot avail of duty Free in EU airports for EU destinations ?

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing ;)

The local offy's i mentioned this too in an effort to lower prices flipped his lid as he has to pay duties and lost it when i showed him the site !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In the case of WEb-bier it doesn't come into play something to do with the total value of beer minus the shipping , just slides you in under the requirement for duty, Plus Europe is supposed to be a single state for that no ? As in we cannot avail of duty Free in EU airports for EU destinations ?
    Nope: Irish VAT and duty is due on the beer. Exemptions only apply to goods which you transport yourself. It's up to the company to sort things out with Irish Revenue. If they don't, and the package is stopped, the buyer gets stuck with the bill.

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing ;)

2-3 days, and strangely the beer arrives cold lolz.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope: Irish VAT and duty is due on the beer. Exemptions only apply to goods which you transport yourself. It's up to the company to sort things out with Irish Revenue. If they don't, and the package is stopped, the buyer gets stuck with the bill.

Never been billed thus far . just tell them Bertie sent you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement