Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen, the first rauchbier I've ever had. Holy crap, it smells like smoked bacon! Lovely malty beer with a nice, but not overpowering smokiness. I'm not sure I'd drink more than one or two at a time, but I'd definitely drink it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Decided to try a Hilden Twisted Hop tonight. Got 4 for 10 in Dunnes. It has "Premium Bitter Pale Ale" on the bottle but I'm a bit dissapointed with it. By no means a bad beer. It's actually quite nice but I was expecting more taste from it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Sierra Nevada Boomerang, absolutely hating it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Decided to try a Hilden Twisted Hop tonight. Got 4 for 10 in Dunnes. It has "Premium Bitter Pale Ale" on the bottle but I'm a bit dissapointed with it. By no means a bad beer. It's actually quite nice but I was expecting more taste from it I suppose.

It's fantastic on cask but I agree that the bottles are a bit lacking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Made a good dent on a bottle of sheep dip earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

O Haras whiskey barrel aged Leann Follain. 2nd bottle of it, a long time apart. This one is well past the best before date on the bottle but I completely disagree, better than the first from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

irish_goat wrote: »

I'd love to try it on cask. Its actually a very nice ale but the bottles are underwhelming. I have a bottle of Headless Dog Ale too that I might get to tonight.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

O Haras whiskey barrel aged Leann Follain. 2nd bottle of it, a long time apart. This one is well past the best before date on the bottle but I completely disagree, better than the first from memory.

The "best before" dates aren't too strict, really. They are obliged to put a date on the bottle, but imperial stouts last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

An File wrote: »
    The "best before" dates aren't too strict, really. They are obliged to put a date on the bottle, but imperial stouts last ages.

Yeah I figured that alright, just not every beer I've done the whole store for 12-24 months and see how it compares has worked in my favour so good to have this develop nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Zaph wrote: »
    Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen, the first rauchbier I've ever had. Holy crap, it smells like smoked bacon! Lovely malty beer with a nice, but not overpowering smokiness. I'm not sure I'd drink more than one or two at a time, but I'd definitely drink it again.
    I've never seem any but Schenkerla (of its various types) available outside of Bamberg itsself.

The Mrs came back with a Spezial Rauchbier last year and it was much milder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jumped on the bandwagon and got one of the 200 fathoms, in no real rush to drink it. The 10% Beoir discount helped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

irish_goat wrote: »

+1000 on that. Had a most pleasant Sunday evening a few years ago getting off a bus and finding it on cask in Brew Dock. Was simply divine. In bottle a few months later it was so underwhelming I had to assume the recipe had changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

McHughes are doing growlers now. I got a litre of Lagunitas for €10 including the bottle.

Also picked up Two Hundred Fathoms, just cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Avoid Black's of Kinsale Rocketship IPA....tastes like badly made kit&kilo that has only been in the bottle for 2 days, horrid harsh finish on it, I want my €4 back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Grayditch wrote: »
    McHughes are doing growlers now
    both of them?

both of them?

I only know the one in Artane is, anyway. 1 litre or 2 litre. They have Lagunitas IPA, Wicklow Wolf IPA, Trouble Brewing Imperial Red and... I can't think of the 4th.

Edit: Just saw the Facebook page there, Kilbarrack has the set up too.

I'm really excited to see the types of stuff they'll be able to get in keg-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Avoid Black's of Kinsale Rocketship IPA....tastes like badly made kit&kilo that has only been in the bottle for 2 days, horrid harsh finish on it, I want my €4 back!

Quite liked it myself. Nice fresh citrus kick and sweet and sour bite.

Saying 'avoid' is a bit harsh don't you think? It was just that you didn't like it.

Others might maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

lk67 wrote: »
    Quite liked it myself. Nice fresh citrus kick and sweet and sour bite.

Saying 'avoid' is a bit harsh don't you think? It was just that you didn't like it.

Others might maybe.

I liked it and only 3.55 in dunnes I think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought it was great too.

Two Hundred Fathoms. Fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Everyone has different tastes. But telling people to avoid it is a stupid thing to suggest. If you can't think of something nice don't say it at all. I loved RocketShip, it's a great beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Is that most, or just some, dunnes that it's in?

Must try and get a taste.

Having another one that divided opinion on this thread before - mountain man crazy horse.

I got it for less than a fiver, and it's a quality beer imo

Drank a Gold Winning Stout tonight :D

Followed by a Killaney Red from Brehon.

I've a rake of Brehon Blonde and Red Ales to get through - they aren't bad beers, just not my favourite style, will do for a Friday night I suppose.

G rock wrote: »
    Having another one that divided opinion on this thread before - mountain man crazy horse.

guy who brews it is a bit of a legend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

G rock wrote: »
    Is that most, or just some, dunnes that it's in?

Must try and get a taste.

Just noticed it in cornelscourt, great to see it and the eight degrees range in

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Everyone has different tastes. But telling people to avoid it is a stupid thing to suggest. If you can't think of something nice don't say it at all. I loved RocketShip, it's a great beer!

Jaysis, there'd be hardly any posts on Boards (or online in general) if everyone took that stance!

It's ok to say you don't like something but maybe telling them to avoid is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

c241a00a779f9b69aaa8f86c0eff6d71_320x320.jpg

Bit bland but very drinkable

Loving the new one from Sierra Nevada, Boomerang IPA.

Aus hops is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Good offers on in my local off licence so got a rake of Founders Pale Ale, Centennial, All Day, Fire Rock plus some Punk and Metalman cans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement