Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aus hops is it?

'parently so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Polar vortex tonight and got the missus a knockmealdown. 8 degrees really can do no wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Grayditch wrote: »
    I only know the one in Artane is, anyway. 1 litre or 2 litre. They have Lagunitas IPA, Wicklow Wolf IPA, Trouble Brewing Imperial Red and... I can't think of the 4th.

Edit: Just saw the Facebook page there, Kilbarrack has the set up too.

I'm really excited to see the types of stuff they'll be able to get in keg-wise.
    If you are from the area, CarryOut in Clongriffin has the system too, and I'm reliably informed that Martin's in Fairview are considering it.

The choice is fairly decent usually in both the CarryOuts I am near (Tyrrellstown is about as far from me as Clongriffin, but my brother lives a 2 minute walk from the Clongriffin one).

My growler currently has unknown O Brother beer in it - I really shouldn't be allowed get Growler fills when I'd half cut.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Growlers are really excellent, if anybody is on the fence about them, they shouldn't be. Although, cost wise, it doesn't seem to be worth using them in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It was an interesting processes watching the filling of the growler. Although, I didn't really take in everything yer man was explaining, cleaning the lines and carbonating the bottle (?). I guess you'd wanna drink the litre in one day, 2 at the most, once it's opened, right?

• Advertisement

My understanding is that if the pegasus system is used that it will stay fresh for quite a while as long as you don't open it. Once you open it, you want to drink it that night, it's just going to go flat and the seal wont be as strong(oxidation occurs). That's why I only got a 1litre.

A 2ltr could be great for a party. I was gonna give up beer for April but this might make it very difficult :)

The guy in McHughes said they had a keg of something by Blacks of Kinsale to go on next and are in talks to do their own brand IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Everyone has different tastes. But telling people to avoid it is a stupid thing to suggest. If you can't think of something nice don't say it at all. I loved RocketShip, it's a great beer!

Well I have had terrible inconsistencies with Black's stuff in the past, like their brews/hate the same brew depending on batch and I have heard others on here say the same so may give it another try some day. But seriously, it wasn't a taste thing, I had others taste it and they agreed it tasted green/skunked, pretty sure most on here would have said the same about it if they had tasted the same bottle, QC is kind of important, no?

I don't see what the issue is myself. There are a lot of irish breweries releasing very low quality beer at an expensive cost. I've had infected Irish beers that shouldn't have gotten released too. I don't expect perfect beers all the time, but when new breweries are releasing infected sub-par beer more often than not, they should be called to task.

And ofc correspondingly, good breweries should be praised, like GBB 200 Fathoms which was amazing, White Hag, Bo Bristle, Trouble brewing

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Well I have had terrible inconsistencies with Black's stuff in the past, like their brews/hate the same brew depending on batch and I have heard others on here say the same so may give it another try some day. But seriously, it wasn't a taste thing, I had others taste it and they agreed it tasted green/skunked, pretty sure most on here would have said the same about it if they had tasted the same bottle, QC is kind of important, no?

Strange. I've never had a bad beer from them.

Beers can taste different depending on what you eat beforehand or drink. It can also depend on your mood and where you are drinking and who's with you influencing your thoughts.

To tell everyone to avoid a beer because you got what you perceived to be a bad bottle is unfair. That has nothing to do with quality control, as it's only one persons perception of what the quality should be.

• Advertisement

jsa112 wrote: »
    I don't see what the issue is myself. There are a lot of irish breweries releasing very low quality beer at an expensive cost. I've had infected Irish beers that shouldn't have gotten released too. I don't expect perfect beers all the time, but when new breweries are releasing infected sub-par beer more often than not, they should be called to task.

And ofc correspondingly, good breweries should be praised, like GBB 200 Fathoms which was amazing, White Hag, Bo Bristle, Trouble brewing

If you were a brewer and you made a 'bad-batch', would you a) chalk it up as a learning experience and flush the sh*te, improve your technique and try to avoid the mistakes again or b) bottle it and pretend nothing happened, potentially damaging your reputation and making some poor fools silly enough to buy your beer resent you?

I have had many great experiences with Irish micros and some bad but generally the bad ones have been a 'not-my-thing' or 'poor-form' not a pour it down the sink affair.

lk67 wrote: »
    Strange. I've never had a bad beer from them.

Beers can taste different depending on what you eat beforehand or drink. It can also depend on your mood and where you are drinking and who's with you influencing your thoughts.

To tell everyone to avoid a beer because you got what you perceived to be a bad bottle is unfair. That has nothing to do with quality control, as it's only one persons perception of what the quality should be.

Well, I didn't drink it while eating and had a palate-cleansing pilsner beforehand, was in a good mood and was in good company.

I bought it from a small enough shop, can't be moving that many of them, I will tell the owner who knows his beer to try one and see what he says maybe.

If you were a brewer and you made a 'bad-batch', would you a) chalk it up as a learning experience and flush the sh*te, improve your technique and try to avoid the mistakes again or b) bottle it and pretend nothing happened, potentially damaging your reputation and making some poor fools silly enough to buy your beer resent you?
    I think you have to flush it and chalk it up as a learning experience for your long term reputation. Although i'm not naive, I imagine plenty of stuff gets released when brewers are not happy with it. Unfortunately poor beer can be sold here without most people slating it. Black's rocketship was terrible when I tried it, others like it, so there's the conundrum.

I've tried so many beers, and there is a long list of irish breweries that I will never try again(after giving them multiple attempts). There are some opinions I value on this board, and if they were say not to try another beer, I'd trust them. My long-term hope would be that the brewery would try improve their attempts at brewing beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

This evening I had an Oude Geuze (Vieille) by Brouwerij Oud Beersel. After drinking so many IPA's, stouts, etc over the years, it's really nice to be trying something new to me in the beer world. I'm really starting to love my sours.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Growlers are really excellent, if anybody is on the fence about them, they shouldn't be. Although, cost wise, it doesn't seem to be worth using them in pubs.

Strongly considering investing in one. Where is the best place to buy around the City Center?

Just finished a bottle of Trouble Brewing Deception Golden Ale. Pretty unexceptional. No real taste at all. Have a bottle of Trouble Brewing Sabotage IPA next so fingers crossed it will be a different story.

There are no places in the city centre afaik, baggot street probably the closest. Trouble brewing aren't great unless they are producing their seasonal/special beers. Still think of their cherry chocolate stout.

Basically, if you're close enough to a pegasus growler place, get it

I think you have to flush it and chalk it up as a learning experience for your long term reputation. Although i'm not naive, I imagine plenty of stuff gets released when brewers are not happy with it. Unfortunately poor beer can be sold here without most people slating it. Black's rocketship was terrible when I tried it, others like it, so there's the conundrum.

I've tried so many beers, and there is a long list of irish breweries that I will never try again(after giving them multiple attempts). There are some opinions I value on this board, and if they were say not to try another beer, I'd trust them. My long-term hope would be that the brewery would try improve their attempts at brewing beer

Well thanks for making me think I might not be crazy saying it is an "avoid" brew, might just be a gold vs blue dress situation really, same thing goes for tastebuds, I don't have the genes to taste all the flavours of cucumber and think they are delicious, while most that can taste all the flavours think they are disgusting. I +1 that we have some decent brewers in Ireland going now, Trouble & 8° being my go-to mostly, had Galway Bay's Full Sail for the first time tonight and was very impressed, nice and punchy taste to it, not too over the top in any of the hop domains, a difficult thing to balance really. They have come a loooong way since Oslo first opened, their beer was a bit mad back then, one week great, next week weird! So glad that can get their stuff locally now.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

There are no places in the city centre afaik

The Galway Bay pubs and JW Sweetmans do growlers. Sweetmans cost around €12 a fill for their own beers. The growlers are of a more tradional shape tho and cant be used in the pegasus type of fill systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

And LMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Had three bottles from 8 degrees last night. All lovely.

Full Irish
    Gas man
    Polar vortex

Have to say I love the 8 degrees.

Have a bottle of Hoptimum in the fridge for tonight. Seriously good stuff. Well worth its €5 price tag.

I might get a bottle of Of Foam And Fury to compare it with if I get a chance to hit the offi later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jaysis, there'd be hardly any posts on Boards (or online in general) if everyone took that stance!

It's ok to say you don't like something but maybe telling them to avoid is a step too far.

It's perfectly ok to say you don't like something, but encouraging people to avoid something is stupid. Nobody sets out to make bad beer. Most set out to make "safe" beer. And some set out to make "interesting" beer. It is these beers that tend to divide people's opinions. Fair enough if you don't like it, but telling people that it's terrible or to avoid it, could protently stop someone who'd love it from tasting it.

This is why I'm sticking by Farmageddon Amarillo, hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had a bottle of Rocket Ship last night and while it didn't set my pants on fire, there was nothing at all wrong with it.

I have really enjoyed it on cask and keg, in the past.

I drink bottles of KPA and BIPA on a fairly regular basis and have never observed consistency issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

EN route to the rds. Looking forward to trying Buck It from black donkey brewery. Many heading in today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

EN route to the rds. Looking forward to trying Buck It from black donkey brewery. Many heading in today?

I'll be in around 5, don't drink the place dry

I'll be in around 5, don't drink the place dry

I think I was the first in the door! Kinnegar rust bucket first up. First time having it. Wonderful drink. Shouldn't we be in Longford?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I think I was the first in the door! Kinnegar rust bucket first up. First time having it. Wonderful drink. Shouldn't we be in Longford?!

We are working until 5, the beer will make up for it

Buck It from Black Donkey Brewing. Very nice. Great malt backbone to it with a nice bitter finish but not too bitter...

Having a glass of the Festival Special IPA from Independent.. Wonderful drink with a great hoppy hit from the Citra and Cascade

Coffee rocket from white hag. Perfect for breakfast!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Coisbo Astoria Black
    Brooklyn Blast!
    Delirium Tremens

Has anyone tried any of the above beers ?. As O briens have 6 for the price of 5 on each and was thinking of ordering 2 of each but won't to see has anyone drank any of these ?.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement