Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

marco_polo wrote: »
    Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? Dying to try on draught or bottle for weeks now but haven't seen it anywhere I have frequented lately

McHughs in Artane/Kilbarrack have it.

I finally had to get meself a growler when I saw they had Black Bucket...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd be interested in trying Trouble's new Triple IPA. Hop Priority. 11.1%, I'm wary. That might be a hop too far for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Triple only refers to the ABV though, if it's a properly balanced beer the hops won't come across as any more aggressive than you'd find in a DIPA really - if anything it should have a stronger malt backbone, which should be balanced by more hops of course, but it shouldn't be a mouth-puckering biting a lemon type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

last night decided to try a few pils, including becks new 1873 pilsner which promised to be different and refreshing and exciting. To be honest, its nearly less hoppy than normal becks and is essentially just a slightly stronger (6%) german "pils" (which nowadays means nothing as most of them are watered down to be as bland as each other)
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32/164397/ review gets it right.

As a control, I tried an Augustiner and Rothaus Tannenzäpfele pils afterwards to see if I was going crazy.
    Rothaus pils has been mentioned here before. I just wonder if they are watering it down slightly. I had a few in Dublin, and again yesterday and its nowhere near as hoppy, smell or taste wise, as I remember first getting it a few years back. Essentially no real reason to drink it as its now neither a pils nor a lager.

Augustiner pils is though probably as near to a perfect pils that I could imagine. Its fruity and refreshingly bitter BUT down the scale from say the likes of Pilsner Urquell which to me is just too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a can of FourPure Session IPA last night from beer52.com.

IMG_1848-copy-200x300.jpg

Best beer I've had in a while, really hoppy and bitter but at 4.2% you could enjoy a few of them no problem.

• Advertisement

Triple only refers to the ABV though, if it's a properly balanced beer the hops won't come across as any more aggressive than you'd find in a DIPA really - if anything it should have a stronger malt backbone, which should be balanced by more hops of course, but it shouldn't be a mouth-puckering biting a lemon type of thing.

Yeah, but it's called Hop Priority.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had a can of FourPure Session IPA last night from beer52.com.

[ IMG]

Best beer I've had in a while, really hoppy and bitter but at 4.2% you could enjoy a few of them no problem.
    My local has been pushing that range big time for the last few months. Must check it out now that I've heard some positive feedback about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Speaking of triples, anyone tasted the Dogfish 120min IPA?

Any hops coming through in that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not as much as I was expecting. It's really hot and boozy, more than hoppy.

Picked up Sierra Nevada's Boomerang IPA for later. Haven't tried that one yet. Any use?

• Advertisement

It's no Torpedo, but I liked it.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Picked up Sierra Nevada's Boomerang IPA for later. Haven't tried that one yet. Any use?

I'm a fan. You wouldn't think it was stronger than 5%.

When will we get Ruthless Rye and Hophunter on these shores though...?

Had a Cotton Ball Indian Summer last night.

Flawless beer, I'd buy it regularly if was closer to 3 euro than it is a fiver.

When will we get Ruthless Rye
    2012 for that one.

Ruthless Rye pops up on draught and in bottles from time to time.

BeerNut wrote: »
    2012 for that one.

I'm sure I drank a 2014 recently.

Last year's Ruthless Rye wasn't as nice as the 2013 one. I usually grab a bottle every time I'm in the offie, I love it.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Ruthless Rye pops up on draught and in bottles from time to time.

2015 Ruthless Rye?

I'm aware plenty of off licenses are still trying to flog the 2014 version for the full price...

Had a Cotton Ball Indian Summer last night.

Flawless beer, I'd buy it regularly if was closer to 3 euro than it is a fiver.

Really? I tasted it, their pale and their lager and joked with the brewer that Indian Summer was like he'd just mixed the other two together.

He didn't deny it :pac:

2015 Ruthless Rye?

I'm aware plenty of off licenses are still trying to flog the 2014 version for the full price...

Not sure which year tbh. I'd assume the draught would always be fresh anyway.

Grand Cru are the importers if you wanted to ask about it. http://grandcrubeers.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Really? I tasted it, their pale and their lager and joked with the brewer that Indian Summer was like he'd just mixed the other two together.

He didn't deny it :pac:

I enjoyed the Indian Summer, thought it was the nicest of their 3 beers.

Had an 8 degrees Polar Vortex last night. Really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Grayditch wrote: »

Was't crazy about it myself, the hop after taste reminded me amlmost of iron drops you used to get as medicine when you were young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm a fan. You wouldn't think it was stronger than 5%.

Ruthless Rye is part of the 4 way IPA pack along with Torpedo, Golden IPA and Blindfold.

An employee posts on Beer Advocate, they had a couple interesting sounding lagers lined up but they couldn't get hop orders fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

marco_polo wrote: »
    Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? Dying to try on draught or bottle for weeks now but haven't seen it anywhere I have frequented lately

My local SuperValu and Centra (Galway) normally have it anyway. €3.75 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Picked myself up gasman and enigma along with a bottle of hoptimum in Molloy's in tallaght earlier. Sorted for the weekend. They really do get a good bit of stuff in Molloy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Finishing off a few Hoffbrau I got at Christmas.

If I get thirsty I have a box of its poorer cousin Finkbrau to see me through!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

stuchyg wrote: »
    Picked myself up gasman and enigma along with a bottle of hoptimum in Molloy's in tallaght earlier. Sorted for the weekend. They really do get a good bit of stuff in Molloy's.

Popped into to Mollys in Clondalkin earlier to see if they have anything new.

They have a fantastic range now. I picked up Harviestoun - The Ridge, Harviestoun - Broken Dial, Galway Hooker - 60 Knots IPA and Eight Degrees - Polar Vortex IPA. All beers I haven't tried before.

They had loads of other stuff. Noticed that they had some Ruthless Rye there too....for the person that was asking earlier.

Having the Kelly's Mountain Brew - Revolution Red Ale. It's really nice for what it is, an Irish Red Ale, but it ain't no "revolution" that's for sure! :)

BaZmO* wrote: »

They had loads of other stuff. Noticed that they had some Ruthless Rye there too....for the person that was asking earlier.

Yeah 2014 Ruthless,, sitting on a shelf there the last 12 months. See ya later.

Molloys in Clondalkin stepped there game up big time alright. Long may it last.

Next time you're there, pop down to the Carryout as well. That's where I buy most of my Irish beers because they're all 4 for 11 euro...

Bo Bristle IPA is my go to pale ale, I'm all over it at that price.

Arrived home to an empty fridge, and decided to pick up some craft beers in Dunnes. Is their selection always this woeful? It was all Carlsberg, Guinness, & Budweisers, all of which I think are emergency provisions, the sort of beer you keep under the bed in case of hurricanes and pandemics.

The craft beer section was about 10 varieties, mostly of O'Hara's and very popular craft beers that are now boring.

It was already minutes to closing. I made the best of it: bought a few bottles of Twisted Hop and Honey Dew & stomped off, having already been in foul humour.

Have Dunnes not embraced the growing Craft beer market, or was that just my local outlet?

• Advertisement

Can't depend on supermarkets dude.

Make a 70 quid bulk order from drinkstore every once in a while.

Keep a box of Aldi O'Shea's Pale (Better than 90% of the beers in the best Dunnes in Ireland) in the shed for emergencies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement