Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Howrye

One to sip slowly for the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Had the Beavertown Heavy Water last night. Absolutely gorgeous, the cherry and salt really came through. Lasted me a good 2-2 1/2 hours so well worth the price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

n97 mini wrote: »
    I must try the WW beers again. The ones I've had so far haven't really impressed me.

Got the Amber Ale and the Perle porter this week. The Amber Ale wasn't really anything of note IMO but the Perle Porter is one of the nicest things to cross my lips in a long time, think I have found my new staple for the presses.

Delicious

Lady in the Off license also gave me a can of Beavertown Smog Rocket. Smells amazing, very odd smoky aftertaste but not worth the price of a can. Worth a taste but not a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

I'm drinking Murphys this week (first time home in 2 years).

Im absolutely appalled at the prices of beer in this country. Was in Tesco and saw bottles of Pilsner Urquell (my usual bottle of choice) and thought to myself..great ile get 4 of them like I usually would. I normally pay 78 cent a bottle and Tesco wanted to charge me 2.60 a bottle? Nearly died of laughter.

Same with all the Hefe-weizens here.. So bloody expensive here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Im absolutely appalled at the prices of beer in this country. Was in Tesco and saw bottles of Pilsner Urquell (my usual bottle of choice) and thought to myself..great ile get 4 of them like I usually would. I normally pay 78 cent a bottle and Tesco wanted to charge me 2.60 a bottle? Nearly died of laughter.

Tax and excise, more so than price gouging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Now available in Drinkstore! :)

plinytheelderbottle-copy.jpg

Get in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

BaZmO* wrote: »

Get in!!!

*Sceptical look towards calender*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Lidl and Aldi for you my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The date on this piece is not April 1st

Link
    'Divil' in the detail as beer application delayed

ATTEMPTS to set up a wholesale craft beer outlet in Killorglin have been left to chill for two months after a district court judge queried if it complied with planning.

David Eaton, Tullig, Killorglin, trading as 'Crafty Divils Brewing' had applied to Killorglin District Court for a certificate for a wholesale beer traders licence at a disused premises at Tullig. He said the beer is brewed in Ballyvourney and the premises would be used as a distribution centre.

Asked by Judge James O'Connor what type of beer would be onsite, Mr Eaton said he would be distributing pale ales.

"Pale ales? Give me an example for fellas who only drink black stuff," the judge queried. "It's a pale version of red ale - 'Mountain Man'," replied Mr Eaton to which Judge O'Connor said they were strange names. Asked about the change of use planning, solicitor Liam Ryan said he didn't believe it was an issue. Mr Eaton said that the application was merely a stop gap until fully up and running, adding that the business was at a critical juncture.

Judge O'Connor adjourned matters for two months: "Even if brewing water before there would be some chance but before the property was just lying there."

Kerryman

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a Mikkeller Koppi Coffee IPA last weekend, absolutely superb, got better and better the longer it was in the glass, really nice smokey, roasted coffee smell and quite a complex flavour to boot,well worth the €5. Had a Beavertown Smog Rocket last night, wasnt blown away, it was good but not great by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

noby wrote: »
    *Sceptical look towards calender*

but how many of us are checking drinkstore just to be sure?

And a bottle of Buck It last weekend, really enjoyed it, both of Black Donkeys early offerings have been excellent and quite different to the run of the mill pale ale, porter, amber we usually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Get in!!!

Funnily enough my GF is heading to San Fran for a few days and I hope to get her to pick me up some. Anyone know a good central place to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Get in!!!

That was an intense 5 second rollercoaster of emotion, between my eyes lighting up and realising the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

matrim wrote: »
    Funnily enough my GF is heading to San Fran for a few days and I hope to get her to pick me up some. Anyone know a good central place to get it?

There's a chain of grocery stores called Whole Foods that may have it. There is also a place called City Beer Store.
    It's worth contacting them to see when they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Ipso wrote: »
    There's a chain of grocery stores called Whole Foods that may have it. There is also a place called City Beer Store.
    It's worth contacting them to see when they have it.

I found it difficult to get in SFO last August. I did manage to get some in the Whole Foods on 4th street, its pretty central.
    The delivery of Pliny lands every Wednesday around 10 AM and was usually gone by the evening apparently (according to the guy in the shop). I think there was a 4 bottle limit per customer.
    The bottles were 1 day old, cant get much fresher than that! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Who needs Pliny? The Hudson Bar is the place for the most exclusive beer launch in Ireland today.

14279004051.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

irish_goat wrote: »
    Who needs Pliny? The Hudson Bar is the place for the most exclusive beer launch in Ireland today.

14279004051.jpg

....Shudders....

I think it was £4 or £5 for 10 stubbies when I was a teenager!

5.95 a pint?

hahahahahaha, fools and their money

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Assume once the 1st of April has passed the price will become more in line with what Lidl charge for these :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The comment section is good.

what time does B&C serve food until in the upstairs part?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

jsa112 wrote: »
    Had the james brown chocolate orange stout. Smelled really good(at the start, smells funky now), but its real flat, getting no chocolate or orange taste, strangely enough more of a licorice/jagermeister taste. Pretty sure this is going down the sink...And it will now be only the 3rd craft beer poured down the sink, in the esteemed company of Abstrakt 04 and a goose island sour. Truly dreadful

Dungarvan's rye ipa was bland and crap too, think I'm done with them

I think this says more about you then it does about the beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

slayerking wrote: »
    I found it difficult to get in SFO last August. I did manage to get some in the Whole Foods on 4th street, its pretty central.
    The delivery of Pliny lands every Wednesday around 10 AM and was usually gone by the evening apparently (according to the guy in the shop). I think there was a 4 bottle limit per customer.
    The bottles were 1 day old, cant get much fresher than that! :)

I work close to that one, it has a good selection of beer.

Having a Blacks Rocketship for the first time tonight, going down very nicely so far.

Got a Beoir #2 last night in the B&C, lovely beer.

Followed by a Hop Priority, which I didn't like. There's a weird taste in the finish, and the whole thing has a overarching Mango sweetness that I dislike.

I was a bit annoyed too, I was reading the "Spring Beer" menu and the lounge girl came over, I asked her for a Polar Vortex, which she told me there was none of.

But when I went to the bar later on the barman told me there was some, and that it had not been off all night, so I got one, but after the other two it was pretty tasteless.

Changed tack then and got a 7 Brothers Porter, which I was disappointed with, very lightly carbed.

finished off with a Leann Follain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That Founders Kentucky Bourbon Stout is ****ing delicious! White Hag Imperial also starting to appear in bottle format

RasTa wrote: »
    I see this has arrived. Tried it at the beer fest but was a bit too gone to remember much. Won't be buying at that price http://mchughs.ie/search?q=Founders+KBS

Did you get a free bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    That Founders Kentucky Bourbon Stout is ****ing delicious! White Hag Imperial also starting to appear in bottle format
    Did you get a free bottle?

LOL

It's €1 cheaper in Drinkstore.

I don't think it's bad value for what you're getting. It's considered a top 10 beer. Imagine what you'd have to pay to get a bottle of wine or whiskey that was considered to be in the top 10?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement