Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ken wouldn't let me leave without buying it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A present from Alltech

cae85555d82b3ce5c1069d766c639cb0.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I've got a few KBS, 200 Fathoms and a White Hag Chocolate Milk Stout to keep me company tomorrow.
    Be gran .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Hoping the local off licence hasn't been cleared out as yet. Going to pick up a good few Brooklyn Brown Ales and couple of random stouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

St Bernardus Abt or Founders Porter what are peoples views on them ?.

As i am going to order 6 bottles off one of them and cant make up my mind witch one to buy :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

"St Bernardus Abt or Founders Porter what are peoples views on them ?."

Don't like stout, so thats an easy one for me, but I think St Bernardus Abt is a stunning beer. ..Can usually pick up for about €4 and for 10% abv and such a highly rated beer, that's not bad value.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

St Bernardus Abt or Founders Porter what are peoples views on them ?

Both are really good, so it depends on which style you prefer. Founders Porter is possibly the best 'regular' stout/porter I've tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Have a kbs chilling for tonight, really looking forward to it. Off to Edinburgh in the morning too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Founders Porter is nectar from the gods

Founders Porter anything is nectar from the gods

Really struggle to find a bad beer made by them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    Really struggle to find a bad beer made by them

Big Lushious ain't great, but yeah, almost everything else I've tried by them has been superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Last night I had Sierra Nevada's Nooner Pilsner and Oskar Blues Pinner Session IPA. Nooner was very nice and Pinner was good, maybe a bit thin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Imbibed a few Founders Centennial IPA & having my first taste of Teeling's single malt whiskey.

I do not have the vocabulary, at this moment in time to adequately review it, all I can say is...sublime :D

Teeling_singlemalt_bs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

St Bernardus Abt or Founders Porter what are peoples views on them ?.

As i am going to order 6 bottles off one of them and cant make up my mind witch one to buy :confused:

Founders porter- it's exceptionally good & usually you can pick it up on specials as well

(I made a clone & just tapped a keg of if a few minutes ago. Yum)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Have a kbs chilling for tonight, really looking forward to it. Off to Edinburgh in the morning too!

Make sure to seek out Holyrood 9a. Unbelievable selection at pretty good prices. The potting shed at the back of Edinburgh college is also great, lovely tapas style food too

A Head in a Hat Brewery - Tommy Fighting Fit IPA

Brewed from a recipe from 1914. Unfortunately it also tastes like it was brewed back then too! Absolutely no carbonation either and just tastes like cardboard. Terrible beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Got some nice stuff in Drinkstore earlier including, but not limited to:
    Founders KBS
    8 Degrees Enigma
    Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

The Hop Stoopid ended up smashy smashy on the kitchen floor as soon as I got home. :(

Very impressed with Enigma. Can these guys do no wrong recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Having a couple of bottles of Kirkstall Dissolution Extra IPA right now. Quite tasty. Citrusy, piney. Bitter finish.

Normally €5.30 a bottle. Drinkstore have it for €2.60 and McHughs have it for 4 for €11. Winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

anybody know how old the hop stoopid is ?

Founders KBS was very good, I know the cost turned off some people, but definitely worth trying. White Hags imperial stout was also very good

jsa112 wrote: »
    anybody know how old the hop stoopid is ?

Founders KBS was very good, I know the cost turned off some people, but definitely worth trying. White Hags imperial stout was also very good

I mentioned the date earlier in this thread, can't remember what it was though. Either way, I wasn't a huge fan of it.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Big Lushious ain't great, but yeah, almost everything else I've tried by them has been superb.

That is also superb. Although just sampled and shared a 1/4 pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Had the Rascals Ginger Porter there (bottle) and have to say I was disappointed with it, especially for the price.

That is also superb. Although just sampled and shared a 1/4 pint

Maybe it's alright as a tiny sampler but anything more than that is just sickly sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That Founders Kentucky Bourbon Stout is ****ing delicious! White Hag Imperial also starting to appear in bottle format

Love everything ive tried of theirs so far. Makes me wish id bought a Samhain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Gbb's sour is weird.i can imagine myself drinkin it on a nice warm summers day instead of a cider

200 fathoms at the mo.i savour the taste..so yum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Only new one tonight Mahon Falls from Dungarvan. Decent effort with a nice peppery rye kick off of it, but I don't think its as interesting as Kinnegars best with the same grain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mahon Falls has been around for a few years now. I'd agree that it's not as accomplished as Rustbucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My stock for today is 'Little Sumpin' a can of 'Torpedo' (16oz which looks strange for a craft beer) and a 'Nitro Milk Stout' from Left Hand. I haven't tried any of those before. I've a pile of my current fav 'Black Bucket' for dessert.

Has anyone tried 'Mine Is Bigger Than Yours'? Was going to get one until I saw the €10.49 price tag. It doesn't even say on the label what style of beer it is. I will Google it but I find this thread more reliable the rest of d'internet put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Its a barleywine with beetroot added to it. It is expensive, but really good, although I do love barleywines.

If you like that style, then definitely pick it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Haven't had time over the last 2 weeks to document what I had so here is a summary :

80/- by Caledonian Brewing Company : Baldy Conscience can back me on this it was a strange beer and very sweet.

Pacer by Summer Wine Brewery : Nice IPA

Maelstrom by Summer Wine Brewery : Hoppy and sweet.

AKER IPA by Naparbier : Tropical fruits and hoppy almost a very good beer.

Soundwave IPA by Siren Craft Brew : Very nice and I got a smell of basil from it but it could have been my cooking!

American Dream by Mikkeller : A hoppy lager ! Not bad but not great.

16/03 Red Ale Mosaic & Chinook by Brew By Numbers : lovely colour but I didnt really like the beer I thought it was a bit light on flavour.

Liquid Mistress by Siren Craft Brew : Light enough but tasty and had a strong caramel taste I thought.

Aotearoa Hoppy Pils by Naparbier : Think I had this too cold as I couldn't taste much but as it warmed up it had more kick to it. Still a below average beer.

Waterloo Tripel 7 Blond by Brasserie du Bocq : An above average Belgian beer which I goto if nothing special is there when in Belgium.

La Ramée Blonde by Brasserie du Bocq : This is my 1st beer in the local I drink when in Belgium. Love the spices you get in this beer.

Enigma by Eight Degrees Brewing : These guys keep knocking out great beers.

Mr. Huff Pale Ale by Hop City Brewing Co : Pretty poor IPA.

Gasman by Eight Degrees Brewing : Loved it.

Alice Porter by BrewDog : Very sweet porter with the Brewdog hop kick.One bottle was enough.

Bloody 'Ell by Beavertown : Loved this IPA. Hint of orange and another great can design. Wish it wasnt so expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement