Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

jsa112 wrote: »
    Its a barleywine with beetroot added to it. It is expensive, but really good, although I do love barleywines.

If you like that style, then definitely pick it up

Cheers. I haven't had a barley wine since the 80's and can't remember what it was like. I'm not a fan of beetroot so I'll probably give it a miss at that price unless I find another curious beerhead to share with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheers. I haven't had a barley wine since the 80's and can't remember what it was like. I'm not a fan of beetroot so I'll probably give it a miss at that price unless I find another curious beerhead to share with.

If you're not sure if you like Barley Wines get yourself a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, it's half the price of the one you mentioned and it's a fantastic example of a Barley Wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If you're not sure if you like Barley Wines get yourself a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, it's half the price of the one you mentioned and it's a fantastic example of a Barley Wine.

Yup, tis a nice beer. Never been to McHugh's but if they have it, this is a great price for it: http://www.mchughs.ie/sierra-nevada-bigfoot-ale-355ml-1-1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Founders porter- it's exceptionally good & usually you can pick it up on specials as well

(I made a clone & just tapped a keg of if a few minutes ago. Yum)

Recipe?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Had a bottle of Smoked Saison (5%) from Anarchy Brewing last night.
    Was worried the smoke might be a bit strong, but it was subtle enough for my palate. Very nice beer.
    paid €4 for 330ml bottle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Had Founders Raspberry & Chocolate Stout, "Luscious", last night followed by a Buried at Sea bought from Supervalu last week.

The former was FAR too sweet. The raspberry completely took over and it tasted like a chocolate liqueur more than anything else. A big disappointment.
    The latter was gone off. Badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

quote="BaZmO*;94938742"]A Head in a Hat Brewery - Tommy Fighting Fit IPA

Brewed from a recipe from 1914. Unfortunately it also tastes like it was brewed back then too! Absolutely no carbonation either and just tastes like cardboard. Terrible beer.[/quote]

Bloody awful, alright.
    Their pale ale with gin botanicals is almost exactly the same.

The Siren Bones of a Sailor Part III is balls amazing. Porter /stout sherry raspberry cacao vanilla.

I really, really, really liked this beer. Complex, rich and a little sour. Fantastic

Galway Bay's Deperate Mile. A real citrus bitter off the end of pretty light hops. I've never tasted a sour before, but this is very nice, I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Didn't have time to make the off license yesterday but thankfully enough homebrew still at hand.

I am having a few bottles of the Amarillo SMaSH I made a few weeks ago. Very enjoyable. Amarillo is a lovely hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

For the special Jesus day that's in it I wanted some special beer to match so I bought 2 bottles of Of foam and fury for tonight.

Also bought 2 bottles Coisbo number 4 Russian imperial stout for Sunday.
    Never had it but it came recommended so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Bloody awful, alright.
    Their pale ale with gin botanicals is almost exactly the same.

:( I have one in the fridge that I'm dreading opening! :)

I should've read the reviews before I bought them. Oh well, ya live and learn. I'll try the Gin one some day I'm feeling lucky.

On the plus side, I've just taken a KBS out of the fridge for later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

Just tipping away at a few of these..

001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

satguy wrote: »
    Just tipping away at a few of these..

Nice, you have great taste in motherboards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Nice, you have great taste in motherboards!

Had to take a second look there lol.

I remember the days when gigabit hardware was scraping the bottom of the barrel. How times have changed! Beer! Second bottle of Buried At Sea was road worthy. Praise the lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Sierra Nevada Boomerang IPA. Quite nice and has grassy hop notes with a hint of pine and citrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Also bought 2 bottles Coisbo number 4 Russian imperial stout for Sunday.
    Anybody know if/when they are releasing the sherry barrel aged version ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've a few of this years homebrew to get going on - a Hoppy IPA and a Stout, so I'll be having some of those tonight.

Mrs is on the Lefevre Cidre, which is a nice proper appley french cider.

It's a mid tower PC Case, but yes there is Gigabyte Motherboard also, just not in shot..

And I am still just tipping away at a few cold ones...

Beer.jpg

In the world of PC tech stuff and also in the world of cold beers, you need a back-up..

If the cold ones run out (24 pack) I do have a back-up ...

Wine.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Mahon Falls has been around for a few years now. I'd agree that it's not as accomplished as Rustbucket.

Oops didn't realise that just appeared in my local offie a few weeks ago so I assumed it was hot off the press :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had my first taste of Wicklow Wolf's Black Perle Porter. Very, very nice. :) Might follow it up with some White Gypsy later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

White Deer Stag Bán got a honey taste initially followed by some spice. It's a bit malty and has a mild hop kick .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

marco_polo wrote: »
    Oops didn't realise that just appeared in my local offie a few weeks ago so I assumed it was hot off the press :)

you aren't wrong, it's a seasonal and only appears in the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

tried Wicklow Wolf's Saison. I'm not pushed on it

So yeah, KBS. Boozy, roasty, complex goodness. :)

Amazing beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

tried Wicklow Wolf's Saison. I'm not pushed on it

I've had a fee of their beers and besides the Porter which I thought was lovely I wasn't very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not as crazy about the Left Hand Milk Stout as I thought I'd be. It tastes sourer than other ones I've tried.
    Maybe I got an 'off' bottle?

So I decided to crack open the bottle of Carlow Brewing O'Hara's Barrel Aged Series Barleywine that I got at Christmas.

Boozy ribena. Not great. :(

• Advertisement

A really Good Friday...

2beer.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement