Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Devil's Half Acre is going down much easier than I'd expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Having a 200 Fathoms at the moment. I was expecting something mind blowing from all the hype, but it's pretty good nonetheless. I prefer the Jameson Stout thb.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I always felt the 1st devils half acre would go down really easy, then the 2nd one would be a real sipper. Really miss that beer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I forgot how solid a beer Jaipur is. If I lived in the UK and could get it at a decent price, I think it'd be one I'd pick up a couple of every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Grayditch wrote: »
    I forgot how solid a beer Jaipur is. If I lived in the UK and could get it at a decent price, I think it'd be one I'd pick up a couple of every time.

Yeah so much cheaper over there. Usually about £2.50 in the likes of Waitrose although I've seen it cheaper than that on occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Having a Rising Sons Rye IPA in the brewpub here. Not sure if someone else mentioned that Heineken own the place but it sure looks like it. Biggest range of Heineken brand taps I've ever seen in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

irish_goat wrote: »
    Having a Rising Sons Rye IPA in the brewpub here. Not sure if someone else mentioned that Heineken own the place but it sure looks like it. Biggest range of Heineken brand taps I've ever seen in a pub.

I don't think Heineken own it. I think it's owned by the Mccabe family, who own half the pubs in the city at this stage.

I've always found their stuff more miss than hit. The Rye IPA is nice enough, but nowhere near the level of the 8 degrees Rye ales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Drinking something called Brigid Fire from The Celt Experience brewery in Wales.

It says Smoked Rye IPA on the bottle and I was looking forward to drinking it.

It has neither Smoked nor Rye flavours, so all that is left is a piney bitterness, which isn't bad, it's just very disappointing.

Having harviestoun ola dubh, a stout aged in highland park barrels. This is surprisingly good. Actually think I prefer this over Siren's barrel aged stout and 200 fathoms

jsa112 wrote: »
    Having harviestoun ola dubh, a stout aged in highland park barrels. This is surprisingly good. Actually think I prefer this over Siren's barrel aged stout and 200 fathoms

For me, Ola Dubh is the benchmark barrel aged stout.

Which one have you got, there are a few versions.

• Advertisement

I got the special 12 reserve, which one did you get ? AFAIK this is the only one around dublin ? I remember drinking harviestoun when I first got into beer, so was surprised how good this beer was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Kinsale's Model T - lovely sipping stout, very nice

8 Degrees Polar Vortex - another super one from these guys, can't do anything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Kinnegar White Rabbit. A small bit of spicy, citrusy hops and wheat but lacking in some depth and body. Still a decent drinkable beer

jsa112 wrote: »
    I got the special 12 reserve, which one did you get ? AFAIK this is the only one around dublin ? I remember drinking harviestoun when I first got into beer, so was surprised how good this beer was

I've not had one in a good couple of years tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Kinsale's Model T - lovely sipping stout, very nice

8 Degrees Polar Vortex - another super one from these guys, can't do anything wrong

besides giving us value for money with their minuscule 330cl bottles. Jut give us 500cl god damn it........ :D

Polar vortex is a stunningly hoppy ale though. I had it on draft a few weeks ago while i was working down in Cork.

Anyway, back on thread, here's what ive got from Molloys in Tallaght tonight :D

2015%2B-%2B1

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hobson's Old Henry. Nice malty ale, nothing spectacular but something you'd happily drink for the evening while watching tv.

Haven't come across that Ola Dubh before but I must keep an eye out for it. Not a big scotch fan, but I will make an exception for Highland Park. Their 18 year old is exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Had a few drinks after finishing off some work in The Three Tun.. the place was packed at 4pm today. Great crowd in. People are getting used to the ordering system too..

I had a Lagunitas IPA, a Bengali Tiger, Shipyard IPA and to finish a Rogue Mocha Porter. With change out of a tenner... Then a swift visit to the Blackrock cellar for a few cans of Centennial.

Had a few drinks after finishing off some work in The Three Tun.. the place was packed at 4pm today. Great crowd in. People are getting used to the ordering system too..

I had a Lagunitas IPA, a Bengali Tiger, Shipyard IPA and to finish a Rogue Mocha Porter. With change out of a tenner... Then a swift visit to the Blackrock cellar for a few cans of Centennial.

That the wetherspoons rght?

They do craft beer???

Im in total shock, ive only been to wetherspoons in the uk, and i always found them beyond bad. Funny to see how they're differing over here.

That the wetherspoons rght?

They do craft beer???

Im in total shock, ive only been to wetherspoons in the uk, and i always found them beyond bad. Funny to see how they're differing over here.

They have a great variety, they have the 4 staple 8 degree beers (howling gale, sunburnt red etc) 3 different Rogue beers, the three six point brewery beers, Goose Island IPA, Mcgraths number 4, Brú dubh (I think) some O'Haras. Lgunitas IPA, Brooklyn Lager and a few more I cannot think of.

They have a great variety, they have the 4 staple 8 degree beers (howling gale, sunburnt red etc) 3 different Rogue beers, the three six point brewery beers, Goose Island IPA, Mcgraths number 4, Brú dubh (I think) some O'Haras. Lgunitas IPA, Brooklyn Lager and a few more I cannot think of.

Any drafts?

My local in Tallaght (Molloys) has plenty of bottled ipa's, but none on draft, yet......... :cool:

• Advertisement

Any drafts?

My local in Tallaght (Molloys) has plenty of bottled ipa's, but none on draft, yet......... :cool:

They have a large tap selection but mostly regular beers. They also have a fair few decent beers on cask but alas no Ghost Ship this visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

had some Lagunitas last night. The Pale Ale is much nicer than their IPA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think so too. Enjoy it while you can as I understand it's being dropped from the range coming to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I actually haven't even tried the Pale Ale. Better grab one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just back from the Johnstown inn. A litre of draught sierra Nevada for 8.50. Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just back from the Johnstown inn. A litre of draught sierra Nevada for 8.50. Thank you very much

I love that place. Great beer and great food.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I love that place. Great beer and great food.

Agreed. Chicken wings and chips fried in I'd hazard a guess at goose fat. Delish. They also have founders centennial in tap but that was out tofat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Not alot going on with Boomerang IPA, maybe having a Little Sumpin before wasn't a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

stuchyg wrote: »

Yet a 5% 500ml bottle of Irish craft beer is €7.95, crazy.

• Advertisement

Yet a 5% 500ml bottle of Irish craft beer is €7.95, crazy.

Depends where you go i suppose. That's prob Dublin prices. Rust bucket is 5.95 in the johnstown

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement