Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Can I ask without seeming like an utter idiot, what exactly is IPA? I see it around all over and I'm always afraid to commit to it because I never know what the hell it is :/

Taste wise think of a cracker with a bit of grapefruit marmalade! (Very broadly speaking.)

By the way there are no stupid questions but there can be stupid answers...maybe what I just said is one! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just picked up Amarillo S.M.A.S.H. on the walk home, hope it's nice

It was disappointing, a bit harsh, tasted like a poor ale in a run down UK pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Was over in Chester for the Easter and got a few different bits and bobs.
    Had By Udder Means by To Øl, a milk stout but not what I expected. Not as sweet as other milk stouts, quite biter in fact. It was ok.

Then had Mexi-Cocoa by Rebel brewing. It was to be a vanilla and chocolate stout. Smelled wonderful but the taste was off. May have poured too aggressively and gotten some sediment/yeast in it. It went down the sink :(

Had Titanic Plum Porter on tap, great stuff, not too perfume-y or sickly sweet at all. Wouldn't have to many though.

Brought back Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12 and 16 special reserves and Orach Slie. And got a present of Thornbridge/St Eriks Imperial Raspberry stout. Had it on draft before and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Plenty of choice in the Swagman pub in Sligo, I picked a Founders Breakfast stout.

Lovely.

Now I don't have a sophisticated palate, but this is a classy beer.

2.70 for a glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just picked up Amarillo S.M.A.S.H. on the walk home, hope it's nice

I'm literally the only person in here that likes it, haha. But I should mention that I usually get a few free now and then. Free things taste always nice to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Definitely picking me up 6 bottles of the Galway Hooker this weekend!

If I can find it on tap somewhere that would be even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Independent are doing tasting in McHughs tonight. They've a special IPA out which I've never tasted (7.2% abv). Need to get 3 nights of stock due to The Masters!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm literally the only person in here that likes it, haha. But I should mention that I usually get a few free now and then. Free things taste always nice to me.

Just wasn't for me, it did get better towards the end but I am not sure if that was the case or I just became more tolerable, everyone has different tastes though, certainly would not buy it again, but if it was free, well, that's a different kettle of ale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

flanzer wrote: »
    Independent are doing tasting in McHughs tonight. They've a special IPA out which I've never tasted (7.2% abv). Need to get 3 nights of stock due to The Masters!

you'll need a growler for that afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Definitely picking me up 6 bottles of the Galway Hooker this weekend!

If I can find it on tap somewhere that would be even better!

I see you're in Athlone. I'm pretty sure Sean's Bar has Hooker on tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Finally sat and passed my exam certification and after two months of self imposed exile get to celebrate and make a dent in some nice beers I've collected. :)

Growler is kinnegar cup and saucer stout.
    DSIxA7Fh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's a damn fine selection.

Milk for lining? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Some serious beers in that pic.

Halycon is one that is so under rated in my book. Pricey, but magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Finally sat and passed my exam certification and after two months of self imposed exile get to celebrate and make a dent in some nice beers I've collected. :)

DSIxA7Fh.jpg

Come on, go for something with flavour at least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Has anyone tried GBB new scotch ale yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My reward for selling a few home brews on Good Friday...

LUtR3tsh.jpg

Selling homebrew? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Selling homebrew? Really?

I was thinking the same thing! Surely that's against the law? And by 'law' I mean the law of morality.

Yeah, since I won the gold medal I've had a good few people asking me can they "buy" some stout - I've told them no, I'll just give them a bottle. When the new batch is ready of course.

In August we're doing a BBQ where we'll have one of our beers kegged (a special beer for the occasion), another one bottled and all of our other brews available for sampling.

The kegged one will be a pale ale along the lines of Metalman, nothing too in your face hoppy, and good for everyone, the bottled beer will be a IPA hopped with New Zealand hops hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ya get the Kinnegar cup and saucer stout at McHughs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I buy in bulk so usually have a lot of brews on the go.

At the moment there is a Blind Pig clone, Imperial stout, session Pale ale and a coffee stout with a Founders porter clone getting bottled this time next week.

Basically sell a few bottles to cover costs or other treats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I'm having a Little Creatures Pale Ale from O'Brien's to wash down a really good chili and brown rice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DSIxA7Fh.jpg

Borderline trolling that is. Parading that delectable selection of beers in front of us, particularly when there's two bottles of Two Hundred Fathoms in it.

Mods!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Rogue Dead Guy Ale. I got a DIPA buzz off it for some reason. Very tasty. Moving on to the auld Kinsale Black IPA now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Heroditas wrote: »
    Borderline trolling that is. Parading that delectable selection of beers in front of us, particularly when there's two bottles of Two Hundred Fathoms in it.

Mods!!!

You are going to HATE me after I post my collection tomorrow. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Tried a Dungarvan/Nogne Seaweed Saison last night. Not my favourite style of beer but very enjoyable none the less. Can'y say I noticed anything from the dilisk though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

dregin wrote:
    Ya get the Kinnegar cup and saucer stout at McHughs?

I did. the kilbarrick shop. Lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Four new ones to enjoy with the Masters.

First up Siren Undercurrent. Having really enjoyed their Soundwave, this is slightly disappointing. Very carbonated, and quite light in body. Strong fresh citrus on the nose but not really packing a whole lot of flavour on the palate. What can be detected is caramel and floral type notes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

RasTa wrote: »
    My reward for selling a few home brews on Good Friday...

LUtR3tsh.jpg

Any good?

Picked up one of these tonight (with some Lagunitas IPA and Seven Brothers Porter). Fairly eye-watering price. I'm crap at sitting on beers so I'll probably end up tasting it later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement