Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

anncoates wrote: »
    Any good?

Picked up one of these tonight (with some Lagunitas IPA and Seven Brothers Porter). Fairly eye-watering price. I'm crap at sitting on beers so I'll probably end up tasting it later.

I thought KBS was lovely myself but didn't think it lived up to the hype I'd read about it, but them again, very little every does live up to hype.

I think I've had better whiskey aged stouts and better coffee stouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

RasTa wrote: »
    My reward for selling a few home brews on Good Friday...

LUtR3tsh.jpg

Nice Green Egg! We purchased one today and it's coming next week. Also drinking a KBS tonight. Saw it in the off licence. Based on how good the Breakfast stout is, I decided to pick it up. Really really like it. Haven't had anything like it before. Love the hints it has from the bourbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Had my own beer bargain of the year last night - I don't think the barmaid realised what she was serving in one particular Cork pub so I was being served pints of Blacks Hi Viz DIPA for €4.90.

I ended up paying for it this morning nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Picked up a few bottles of Affligem Blonde this week.

Its not a bad beer just different to what i would normally drink smells bad when in the bottle but after one or two sips i get a very fruity but nice taste coming from it.

Would drink it again it again as its quite a nice beer for €2.39 a bottle in Super Valve.

I am in Dublin now in the next week all going to plan so going to pick up a few good bottles of beer in Redmonds.

Just wish the Off Lieances down in waterford stock beers over 5.5% !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Just wish the Off Lieances down in waterford stock beers over 5.5% !!!!

I would have thought Worldwide Wines would have a good selection...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

lk67 wrote: »
    I would have thought Worldwide Wines would have a good selection...

Very rarely out in Ardken as its fair bit from me but will have a look now tomorrow.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

anncoates wrote: »
    Any good?

Picked up one of these tonight (with some Lagunitas IPA and Seven Brothers Porter). Fairly eye-watering price. I'm crap at sitting on beers so I'll probably end up tasting it later.

I thought it was the best beer I've ever tasted. I would rate it higher than Bourbon County. I'll keep the other one for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

260x510_p1414518636455_the_white_hag_samhain_oktoberfest_brew.jpg

Had one of these last night and it was delicious. More like a dark Belgian ale than the Oktoberfest lager I was expecting.

Anyone know if this is just a seasonal brew or if it's all year round? (can't remember when/where I got it and have had it for ages)

Also had one of these:

gentlelady_01.jpg?w=630

Surprisingly spicy, like an autumn ale. Has a lot of hops about it for a Belgian triple but not in any sour way. Would definitely go again but at 9.2% it's not something I'll be having much of.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

If you liked that, try westmalle triple, or triple karmeliet, they are around good offy's, and way better versions

• Advertisement

jsa112 wrote: »
    If you liked that, try westmalle triple, or triple karmeliet, they are around good offy's, and way better versions

Am a big fan of both (and Belgian triples in general). The Naparbier triple tastes nothing like them, more like a strong autumn ale. Weird but good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just had a Mcgargles Neds IPA. I wasn't expecting much as it looks all marketing but have to say, easy to drink, nice but not overpowering flavour.
    Other than 6.5%, it's the perfect for a session beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just had a Mcgargles Neds IPA. I wasn't expecting much as it looks all marketing but have to say, easy to drink, nice but not overpowering flavour.
    Other than 6.5%, it's the perfect for a session beer.

Stupid question but on draught or from a bottle?
    I find their stuff far superior on draught

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Heroditas wrote: »
    Stupid question but on draught or from a bottle?
    I find their stuff far superior on draught

Bottle, it's their only stuff I can recall having as I was probably a bit judgy with the promo packs I seen awhile ago in my local offie.

I liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Finished last night off with a Modus Hoperandi, which was as good as ever. Love this out of the can.

Collaborative brew Coffee IPA. Very different beer, extremely strong coffee flavours without being overpowering. Not overly sweet but a lovely malty crispness to the whole thing. Something I'd definitely try again.

Finally got around to a Founders Backwoods Bastard. Fantastic beer, lovely rich bourbon notes. One of the best beers I've tasted so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Went to a BYO Indian last night.

Had a bottle of Hurricane, Amber Ella and Full Irish with me.

They mixed the Hurricane with half the Full Irish :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Went to a BYO Indian last night.

Had a bottle of Hurricane, Amber Ella and Full Irish with me.

They mixed the Hurricane with half the Full Irish :eek:
    christ, that's bad although not as bad as this:

was in the B&C on Thursday, bought a bottle of the Dungarvan & Nøgne ø Saison. Everything was going well and I was about half way through it and left the last drop in the bottle so I didn't get the sediment into the glass. Lounge staff member comes over, shakes the bottle; "there's some left in that!", pours into my glass before I could say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

christ, that's bad although not as bad as this:

was in the B&C on Thursday, bought a bottle of the Dungarvan & Nøgne ø Saison. Everything was going well and I was about half way through it and left the last drop in the bottle so I didn't get the sediment into the glass. Lounge staff member comes over, shakes the bottle; "there's some left in that!", pours into my glass before I could say anything.

It's only a bit of yeast, it's not going to do you any harm. I always just do the german thing and twirl it around in the bottle and lob it in.

Can change the flavour though

it definitely changed it, it actually made it unappealing and i just went up and got another drink.

• Advertisement

Did you complain? If not, why not?

I had an "incident" there not long ago, I arrived in for some food and a couple of drinks, was looking at the "Spring beers" menu (or whatever it's called), when over arrived the lounge staff - I asked her for a Polar Vortex, which she told me they had none of, so I got a Beoir #2, then a Hop Priority - both pretty hoppy imperials or doubles.

I headed up to the bar then and saw the barman pulling a PV, and said to him that it had been off earlier, he said that wasn't the case. I ordered one from him, but it may as well have been Bud after the other two.

That's sloppy lounging imo.

I didn't unfortunately. I'm a typical Irishman when it comes to complaining, I don't and tend to just take it on the chin :).

I need to try Polar Vertex, bet it's all gone now from everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I was expecting to be disappointed by Mikkeller, just because of how hyped it is, but holy shhit, believe the hype.

It's small, and the place was jammed when I was there, outside and all, but it's a really nice atmosphere. There's not a lot to distract you from the beer, besides maybe all the good-looking people, i.e it's a no-bull**** kind of place., and the beer really is excellent. 200ml and 400ml glasses are the normal serving sizes for the draught stuff, I didn't even bother looking at the bottles because they had 20 taps.

Started with a Vesterbro Wit, and it was delicious. Not what I was expecting though, not as pale as a typical witbier, and tasted more like a hoppy pale ale. Still great though.

They had a few different single hop IPAs on the go, and they seemed to be selling fast-new ones kept appearing on the board evey once in a while. I went for the Topaz, cos I'd never heard of it before. Again, class. Really rich, strong flavoured beer, the topaz hops being more on the piney end of the scale than the citrus end, but not too much so.

I then had a Beavertown Smog Rocket, a smoked porter. Didn't really get much off that smokey taste you get with something like Schlenkerla tbh, but it doesn't really matter, because it was another fantastic beer. Full-bodied with lots and lots of malty flavours going on, it tasted like something way stronger than 5.4%.

Followed this up with Mikkeller's own Beer Geek Brunch Weasel. Oh my god. This is an imperial stout. Sticky, chocolatey, not too far from something like blue Chimay, this was amazing. A perfect beer, up there with the best beers I've ever tasted.

Had no idea what to end with after that, so I had a taste of a De Dolle Oerbier. They had them from 2010, 2012, and current, and the barman said it tends to sweeten a bit with age, so I went with the 2012 one, just for the balance. It was gorgeous. Spicy, slightly sour at times, all round fantastic drinking.

So yeah, the Mikkeller bar is really well worth a visit if you enjoy your beer, it's not all hot air (I found the opposite to be true). Bring plenty kroner though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I bought the brunch weasel before, not realising it was $12 a bottle. I found it a bit rich for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a Jack Cody Puck Pilsner last night. Thought the head tasted of soap and it was generally undrinkable.

It seems to review very well though - dodgy bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

L1011 wrote: »
    Had a Jack Cody Puck Pilsner last night. Thought the head tasted of soap and it was generally undrinkable.

It seems to review very well though - dodgy bottle?
    I had it also last night and though it was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Had a black Betty which was amazing followed by a Little sumpin sumpin. Black was terrific but probably overpowered the lss. Found the lss had a strange taste of sage or something that I didn't like. It was right after the bb which was like a taste bomb going off. Not a big fan of lagaunitas so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wasn't blown away by 8 Degrees Enigma. Good beer no doubt, though. Maybe I'll try it again another time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Indian Export Porter from Farmageddon. Pretty much exactly what I'd hoped for from Guinness West Indies Porter. Nothing too complicated, just straight up porter. Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BPBP Big Red, love this beer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement