Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

What's the scene like in Athlone these days?

Worth asking yourman who runs the Simon Says blog, he's one of them folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Black Rock Stout now. Seems to have gotten a million times better from what I remember it to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

20150417_191931.jpg

Enjoying the best beer selection in Derry...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

irish_goat wrote: »
    Enjoying the best beer selection in Derry...

Could they be done under the Trades Descriptions Act? At the very least any pub that can't spell lager should be avoided.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They have Cheiftain IPA on tap to be fair. And also Yardsmans Pale Ale, but it has line cleaner in it still. I was told that's the very "hoppy bitter" taste though. Not sure why they aren't on the menu either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Zaph wrote: »
    At the very least any pub that can't spell lager should be avoided.

Ah but that's how Nordies pronounce it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Tonight's Selection

20150417_175828_zpsx9t62nh4.jpg
    20150417_175845_zpszeulzonf.jpg
    20150412_013100_zpsdcesjaiy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The more I drink Chieftain, the less I like it.

I just at had a Kinnegar Black Bucket black rye IPA. Doesexactly what it says and does it well. Very nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A bottle of Buck It from BlackDonkey and a bottle of Yannaroddy from Kinnegar. Both wonderful. Have some delicious hopped mead to see the night out..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

IMG_0264_zpssph0novv.jpg

Decided to try Murphys , and glad I did ,as it tastes better than cans of Guinness draught in my opinion

• Advertisement

Partial to a can of Murphys myself. Lovely on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A bottle of Buck It from BlackDonkey and a bottle of Yannaroddy from Kinnegar. Both wonderful. Have some delicious hopped mead to see the night out..

A delightful drop it must be said.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kinnegar Rustbucket tonight. Gorgeous.

That picture of Hopplehammer has me jealous though!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Finishing my first hop stoopid as I type! Beautiful stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

dintbo wrote: »
    Finishing my first hop stoopid as I type! Beautiful stuff :)

Someone a while back mentioned they got an onion taste from it, what did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Decided to try Murphys , and glad I did ,as it tastes better than cans of Guinness draught in my opinion
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Partial to a can of Murphys myself. Lovely on draught.

Beamish is superior! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Ipso wrote: »
    Someone a while back mentioned they got an onion taste from it, what did you think?

I've tried it 2 or 3 times and never got an onion taste, its an excellent beer like most of the Lagunitas range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Settled for two Founders Breakfast Stout instead of one KBS....not sure if I made the right decision

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Ipso wrote: »

Can't say I noticed any onion taste from it either! It was an evening of DIPAs for me. Of Foam and Fury, Two Captains and Hop Stoopid. I gotta say the Hop Stoopid was my favourite, and I am a big fan of the other two. After those I was only fit for bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Went to WJK for a small "tap takeover" by Anarchy Brew Co, from up near Newcastle, England.

They had three beers on tap, and a fourth one in bottles.

Three on tap were Citra Star, a "hopped blonde", Anti-Venon, an American PA and Sublime Chaos, a Breakfast Stout.

The Citra Star was by far the best for me, a 4.1% quaffer - they've a lot of flavour going on in this one, and I'd happily drink a few of these. It reminds me of Holy Cow Bell!

The Anti-Venon is a nice American Pale - there's a bit more body to it, it's 6%, and the hops are more fruity than bitter.

The Sublime Chaos breakfast stout is pretty good too, but it was a thursday night so I only had a small sample as it's 7%.

The bottle was a Smoked Saison, and for once a non-Schlenkerla smoked beer delivers on it's promise. I really enjoyed this, even though it's a saison, probably because the smoke at least partially masks the saison-ness.

The brewers were there too, and they suggested a mixing of the Breakfast Stout with the Smoked Saison, so a few of us tried it - it was pretty good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mikkeller Vanilla Sky nice IPA with and orange smell and tasted a tiny bit of orange and tropical fruits. Slight hop bitterness and a hint of vanilla. Vanilla is very light and not too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I tried Hop Stoopid last week and thought it was very good. Nice and hoppy but not ridiculously so.
    Also, a nice smooth malty, almost caramel, aftertaste.
    Worth trying? Yes.
    Would I drink again? Not sure. Bit pricey

Actually found Hop Stoopid for €7.99 in the Mace on South Circular Road, which is my favourite off licence. Tastes even better at a euro less, but still pricey, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The bottle was a Smoked Saison, and for once a non-Schlenkerla smoked beer delivers on it's promise. I really enjoyed this, even though it's a saison, probably because the smoke at least partially masks the saison-ness.

Had a bottle of this last night, absolutely loved it. I'm a huge Schlenkerla fan, so this got my interest when I saw it. The spicy saison-ness mixes so well with the smoky bacon, which is pretty subdued. I was wishing the bottle was a little bigger by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I must be the only person that was disappointed with Hop Stoopid. I thought it was nice but not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

What's the deal with dates on beer bottles? The reason I ask is I got a bottle of Widmer Brothers Hopside Down last night and the date was jan14 but the guy in the office assured me that's just the bottling date rather than a best before...it tasted like muck so I would have called it out of date

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I must be the only person that was disappointed with Hop Stoopid. I thought it was nice but not great.
    Same here.
    What's the deal with dates on beer bottles? The reason I ask is I got a bottle of Widmer Brothers Hopside Down last night and the date was jan14 but the guy in the office assured me that's just the bottling date rather than a best before
    Lots of American beers have a bottling date rather than a best before. The law in Europe says that all bottled beer must have a date of minimum duration (ie best before) but lots of Irish importers couldn't be bothered with that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Picked up a bottle of Munchausen sour altbier and a bottle of Dunarvan's seaweed saison.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Having a Founders Imperial Stout this morning.

Thick and black, quite nice, easy to drink but heavy. No real head when poured,

Did not realise it was 10.5% until I looked at the bottle more closely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have a bottle of Young's double chocolate stout to drink tonight mother called me yesterday and told me she 'found' a bottle of it in the fridge witch i have not seen before today :confused:.

Have had it before its not a bad stout.

Going to have a look in world wide wines again this week and see what i can pick up to drink for the week any ideas for a nice 7% + bottle ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement