Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

What's the scene like in Athlone these days?

I rather randomly ended up out in Athlone last night (it's not a million miles away but I'd rarely go there other than shopping) and went to Maguires, Murphy's Law and The Malt House.

Maguires had Rebel Red, Porterhouse Chocolate Stout, Lagunatis IPA and Seirra Nevada Pale on draught. The fridges looked well stocked but upon inspection there was really only 3 or 4 styles on offer. A few IPA's, a Helles and a couple of Belgian dark beers. Lovely pub though and the lad behind the bar told me stock tends to go through cyles and they should have more variety soon.

Murphy's law, as far as I could see, hod nothing on draught but had bottles of Hooker, a few Kinnegar beers and a few Independant beers. Selection not huge but it was only €4.50 a bottle and their beer garden was really nice.

The Malt House had Bo Bristle IPA and Stout on tap as well as Rebel Red and Coal Face, which I'd not seen before. They had bottles of a few Kinnegar, Hooker, Reel Deal, Mountain Man and Black Donkey beers. Less keenly priced at about €5.50ish per bottle but the pints were only €4.50 and you can get a litre of craft draft for €7.50, which isn't bad going.

Didn't make it to the other pub listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

great stuff, thanks, I won't be heading down until June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Oh, almost forgot, Malt House had bottles of Sierra Nevara Pale and Torpedo for €5 each I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Beamish is superior! :D

Just bought 4 cans Beamish in Tesco - €6.50 ..........Will soon find out if its better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Joekers wrote: »
    Settled for two Founders Breakfast Stout instead of one KBS....not sure if I made the right decision

Dropped into Molloys Tallaght today (decent selection, btw) and they still had a fair few KBS on the shelf so picked up some more.

Also got some Kinnegar Cup and Saucer coffee stout, Lagunitas IPA and some Mikkeller Vanilla Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Loads of KBS in Blackrock Cellar today, they also have Celis White Belgian White Beer for €1.99 a bottle 5% and it's very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a game of thrones - valar morghulis from ommegang brewery. It's a dubbel and quite tasty. Started out with a bit of a sour cherry flavour but then moved on to sweeter plum and raisins. Not something to drink quickly but a nice sipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Have had several Adnams Ghost Ship today, few more of those and Adnams Explorer in the fridge, great that Aldi are selling them, not the easiest to find over here otherwise.

By the by, their brewery tour is good if you're ever in Suffolk, Southwold is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

matrim wrote: »
    Had a game of thrones - valar morghulis from ommegang brewery. It's a dubbel and quite tasty. Started out with a bit of a sour cherry flavour but then moved on to sweeter plum and raisins. Not something to drink quickly but a nice sipper

Where did you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Where did you get that?

My fiancée brought it back from San Fran a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know who might still have KBS and Hop Stoopid? Preferably in Dublin city center

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Damn straight! Dontchaknow! :D

Enjoy. It's a super place

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

What's the deal with dates on beer bottles? The reason I ask is I got a bottle of Widmer Brothers Hopside Down last night and the date was jan14 but the guy in the office assured me that's just the bottling date rather than a best before...it tasted like muck so I would have called it out of date

It must've been out of date cos hopside down is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anyone know who might still have KBS and Hop Stoopid? Preferably in Dublin city center

McHughs on the Kilbarrack road have both as of last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Redmonds in ranalagh have both aswell.

Had a growler of trouble brewings beoir number 2 last night and have to say thought it was gorgeous. 7.8% and I didn't notice it tasting that strong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Brown Paper Bag Project - Black Coffee IPA.

Not a good beer.

I find them hit and miss really, The Oxman is pretty nice, but most of the rest are the bad side of meh, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Grayditch wrote: »

Not a good beer.

Strange sounding beer anyway. What's coming through?

I've only had this and Vlad The Baker which is a straight-up disgusting beer. Yep, sink time for this one, I'm afraid.

RasTa wrote: »
    Strange sounding beer anyway. What's coming through?

I thought I was gonna get a black IPA with a hint of coffee, and actually has a nice hoppy aroma, but the balance of everything seems all off. Like a mediocre coffee porter with some IPA poured in on top of it and stirred with a rusty spoon.

Not a good beer.

You're right it's not a good beer, it's a great beer. Why would you buy a beer expecting one thing and the complain when the beer actually delivers on what it promises. It says more about you then it does about the Brewery.

I loved it. It's like a big hoppy espresso. I'd definately buy it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A few bottles of Ghost Ship and O'Sheas Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

enjoying a btl of Dungarvan's Seaweed Saison after a good day's brewing, my second time to have a saison and like the little bit of dryness and spice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had a bottle of Brewdog punk IPA with my lunch today at 5.6% it would be quite week to what i normaly drink so i took the risk on it.

But it went down really well with my burger and chicken wings and was extremely tasty and i would drink it again and won't to try a few other beers from the Brewdog family.

What do you normally drink that Punk is "quite weak" - what do you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

What do you normally drink that Punk is "quite weak" - what do you mean by that?

I would useably drink beers that at lest 7% + and so on. As i like a strong beer myself but each to there own

You're right it's not a good beer, it's a great beer. Why would you buy a beer expecting one thing and the complain when the beer actually delivers on what it promises. It says more about you then it does about the Brewery.

Haha. Dry your eyes. Whatever about me, and what I expected I tried to pass it off to my housemates and they all thought it was nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I loved it. It's like a big hoppy espresso. I'd definately buy it again.
    I really liked it too. I've really liked most of the stuff that BPBP have done.

I would useably drink beers that at lest 7% + and so on. As i like a strong beer myself but each to there own
    That's an interesting way to go about selecting beers. So you'd normally just dismiss beers that are less than 7%? If so, you're missing out on some amazing beers.

Flying Dog's Easy IPA. Really nice tasting session IPA, but the taste disappears really quickly.

Tesco's (Marstons) Revisionist Rye Pale Ale. Some nice flavours going on, but a bit sickly sweet by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

My first all grain brew. Centennial pale. Freaking delish

• Advertisement

Haha. Dry your eyes. Whatever about me, and what I expected I tried to pass it off to my housemates and they all thought it was nasty.

If I buy a beer and don't like it that's my fault, it doesn't make it a nasty beer. There's people on here who don't like sours, but they still went out and got Desperate Mile and came on here and slated it. If you like a beer then fair enough come on here and sing it's praises, but if you dislike a beer don't come on here calling it nasty. Who are you to call anyone's hard work and effort "Nasty". We all love craft beer and we all need to support it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement