Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Son0vagun wrote: »
    If I buy a beer and don't like it that's my fault, it doesn't make it a nasty beer. There's people on here who don't like sours, but they still went out and got Desperate Mile and came on here and slated it. If you like a beer then fair enough come on here and sing it's praises, but if you dislike a beer don't come on here calling it nasty. Who are you to call anyone's hard work and effort "Nasty". We all love craft beer and we all need to support it.

Ah now, when did giving your opinion become a crime? He bought it and consumed it, he has every right to give his opinion on it.

The thread isn't called "let's all say nice things .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If I buy a beer and don't like it that's my fault, it doesn't make it a nasty beer. There's people on here who don't like sours, but they still went out and got Desperate Mile and came on here and slated it. If you like a beer then fair enough come on here and sing it's praises, but if you dislike a beer don't come on here calling it nasty. Who are you to call anyone's hard work and effort "Nasty". We all love craft beer and we all need to support it.

Just because it's "craft" doesn't mean it's good. In this particular case I really liked the beer in question, but it doesn't need to be praised just for the sake of it being a craft beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's just an opinion, not the oracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

But a lot of the 'opinions' given here read as if they are fact when they are down to personal taste. I wouldn't trust anyone palate but my own.

A beer isn't necessarily bad because someone doesn't like it. It might be...but that's not too often really.

lk67 wrote: »
    But a lot of the 'opinions' given here read as if they are fact when they are down to personal taste. I wouldn't trust anyone palate but my own.

A beer isn't necessarily bad because someone doesn't like it. It might be...but that's not too often really.

That works both ways though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Sipping on a KBS.

My only regret is that it will soon be finished.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've enjoyed a hell of a lot of great drinks since I started reading this forum, mostly because of recommendations in this thread and the one before it. Stuff I would have never heard of, or stuff I tried a second time after being less than impressed after a first taste. Advice on this stuff is usually good fun as well, whether we all end up agreeing or not.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That works both ways though.

True, but I think some of the negative reviews can be a little OTT on occasion.

Not to mention unhelpful to anyone thinking of trying a particular beer, especially newbies who might actually listen to small gods. :)

lk67 wrote: »
    True, but I think some of the negative reviews can be a little OTT on occasion.

Not to mention unhelpful to anyone thinking of trying a particular beer, especially newbies who might actually listen to small gods. :)

Yeah but they can be helpful too. ;)
    If five people say a beer is terrible it'll make you think twice before buying it. That said, I've bought plenty of beers in the face of bad reviews. At the end of the day it should always come down to personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Right. I think me buying and trying as many new beers as I can, especially from Irish brewers does a lot more good for craft beer than a fairly rare, half-harsh review on Boards on one beer does it any danger.

Last one of the evening was Naparbier's "Aker IPA". I'd seen the Naperbier stuff and liked the graphic artwork on the labels, but put them off for a while, and this is really nice. Very grapefruity, it's 6.7%. but pretty light and sweet. I hadn't realised it was a Spanish brewery, so that was a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Saying something is "straight up disgusting" "nasty" and tasted like it was "Stirred with a rusty spoon" does nobody any good. If you don't like something then fair enough but why feel the need to openly slate it.

ok you've made your point, now let's get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Had two pints of O Brother's The Chancer last night. Lovely stuff, a nice hoppy hit and then a really nice mellow finish. A nice session IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Ipso wrote: »
    Someone a while back mentioned they got an onion taste from it, what did you think?
    That was me, it was a bottle I got in Louisiana. (Relatively) fresh stuff. The one I had in Dublin had a slightly different flavour profile and the onion-y flavours were much more subdued. I doubt I'd even had noticed them if I wasn't already thinking about them to be honest!

I think I'm overly sensitive to the Summit hops onion tendencies, just like some people are sensitive to Citra hops cat pee tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Some beers I had during the weekend.

Siren / Evil Twin - Even More Jesus VIII - favourite beer right now. Strong, thick, deep and complex. Liquorice taste is not overwhelming but lends nice bitterness to the taste. Have stockpiled a few of these because at some point these will be gone I reckon

Trouble Brewing - Hop Priority (in Alfie Byrne's on Friday) - I don't really care about triple IPAs. I like my hoppy beers with a dry finish rather than a sweet one. A glass of this one was surprisingly nice though, resinous and the sweetness didn't overwhelm. Well done TB!

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout - Delicious.

Shepherds Neame IPA - was trying to find something that wasn't an off flavour, couldn't. Gross. Down the drain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

http://publin.ie/2015/new-pub-opening-on-abbey-street-in-may/
    New pub opening on Abbey street in May

Next month there will be a new watering hole on the Northside of the city with the opening on May 3rd of ‘The Jolly Monk’.

There’s not too many details at the moment, but the description they currently have on their facebook page is

“Opening Sunday May 3rd serving Irish craft beers and tasty pub grub with live acts on the night, it’s a great way to spend the bank holiday!”

It will be located at 52 Middle Abbey street on the site of the former ‘Bar 52/Club 52′, part of the Abbey hotel. It’s about half way in between The Academy and The Gin Palace.

We’ll have more details soon and, as always, we’re looking forward to trying it out.

You can keep in touch with ‘The Jolly Monk’ via their facebook and twitter.

"The Jolly Monk" - hmm, sounds gimmicky, a bit like The Cock & Bull.

Reserving judgement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Well if that ain't a statement of intent, nothing is! :D

Although that said, the B&C used to do a similar promotion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Although that said, the B&C used to do a similar promotion too.

Book at table upstarts for 5 or more on a frioday evening. They might have been finger food too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It was Sol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It was Sol!

Look who took the soup :D:P

It'd be nice to see a few good trappist beers, with a name like that.

Speaking of which, I had a St.Bernardus Triple on tap the other night, it was beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Anyone know what's happening with the players lounge in Fairview?
    I noticed it was mentioned in the Dublin city thread but people on this thread seem to have their 'finger on the pulse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

BeerNut wrote: »

Can you get straws to go with the bucket? Assuming I'd want to share a bucket of lager with anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

snowblind wrote: »
    That was me, it was a bottle I got in Louisiana. (Relatively) fresh stuff. The one I had in Dublin had a slightly different flavour profile and the onion-y flavours were much more subdued. I doubt I'd even had noticed them if I wasn't already thinking about them to be honest!

I think I'm overly sensitive to the Summit hops onion tendencies, just like some people are sensitive to Citra hops cat pee tendencies.

Funny enough, I was in the porterhouse on Saturday, and they had Lagunitas IPA on draft. The OH ordered one and the first thing she said when she tasted it was 'onion'. I couldn't detect it at all, it just tasted delish to me.

Less than stellar review incoming, if you wanna look away.

Hop City's Hopbot IPA. It's decent, I guess. Citra,Centennial hops listed on the back, I recognise, but not the Mosaic or Summit. Seems to be missing some more malt and it has a little lager taste in the aftertaste. It's not bad, but I dunno if I'd get it again.

Grayditch wrote: »

Hop City's Hopbot IPA. It's decent, I guess. Citra,Centennial hops listed on the back, I recognise, but not the Mosaic or Summit. Seems to be missing some more malt and it has a little lager taste in the aftertaste. It's not bad, but I dunno if I'd get it again.

Why thank you sir/madam for your informative review of said beer. We shall take it on board when next we decide to purchase a malt/hop beverage and get back to you at our earliest convenience.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Grayditch wrote: »

Did you get that here in ireland? I had it on tap in Toronto. I didn't have too much variety when I was there but enjoyed that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Anyone know what's happening with the players lounge in Fairview?
    I noticed it was mentioned in the Dublin city thread but people on this thread seem to have their 'finger on the pulse'.

Someone has bought it?
    Brave man:eek:

• Advertisement

G rock wrote: »
    Did you get that here in ireland? I had it on tap in Toronto. I didn't have too much variety when I was there but enjoyed that one

Yeah. McHughes have it. They've a other one from Hop City, too, but I can't remember which one.

Went for a another Naparbier after being real impressed with the Aker IPA. Got the ZZ Amber. Not bad at all, but probably wouldn't grab it again. I picked up two more Akers though, I'd recommend that to fans of fruity IPAs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement