Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Last night I had an Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - smoked doppelbock. Absolutely magnificent beer. It's like an antidote to the hoppy IPAs. Must see if I can buy a case. Anyone know if it keeps relatively well? Couldn't drink it too often.

Followed up with a Farmageddon Smash Amarillo. Really didn't like it. Not sure if indeed it's supposed to taste like that, but found it very unpleasant. First time trying a Farmageddon beer, so hopefully I just chose poorly, and they're not all similarly as unpalatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mountain Man's Sneaky Owl.

All the caramel which I'm into. A nicely crisp dark ale. I like it a lot, another good one from him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Had 5 Lamps Phoenix Dark Ale and Metalman's Heat Sink Porter in the bull and castle.

The former was a little too alcoholic for what I wanted at the time, so won't make judgement... Might be exactly what I want next time. Just felt it was all stinging like a bee and no floating like a butterfly.

The latter was glorious. Somewhere between Laphroaig and Connemara on the smokie scale, nicely mellowed out with the cayan pepper. My best experience with a metalman brew to date. Massively looking forward to our next encounter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Last night I had an Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche - smoked doppelbock. Absolutely magnificent beer. It's like an antidote to the hoppy IPAs. Must see if I can buy a case. Anyone know if it keeps relatively well? Couldn't drink it too often.

As the flavors are malt driven, I think it keeps pretty well alright.
    You can buy 10 and 20 bottle cases directly from Schlenkerla and it works out as pretty good value. Been threatening to get the Marzen now for ages myself, every now and again I get a craving for it so it would be handy to have a little emergency stash.

Finished last night with a Beavertown Holy Cowbell - India Stout.

Absolutely loved it. The balanced between the hops and the roasted flavours is impressive. Really bold beer, done well. I'd love to try this on tap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's just as good imo.

I don't suppose anywhere in Dublin would have any of that on tap now? I'm tempted to get another can tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It was on in Alfie Byrnes a while ago, probably not anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Grayditch wrote: »
    I don't suppose anywhere in Dublin would have any of that on tap now? I'm tempted to get another can tonight.

I think PC macs did have it and maybe the beer house

I'll have a look tonight, cheers.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    As the flavors are malt driven, I think it keeps pretty well alright.
    You can buy 10 and 20 bottle cases directly from Schlenkerla and it works out as pretty good value. Been threatening to get the Marzen now for ages myself, every now and again I get a craving for it so it would be handy to have a little emergency stash.
    Sadly, the dopplebock (like the Lenten beer) seems to be a seasonal, and won't be available again until November. May just have to buy up all of the local stocks I can find! Would love to visit the pub/brewery at some point.

Sadly, the dopplebock (like the Lenten beer) seems to be a seasonal, and won't be available again until November. May just have to buy up all of the local stocks I can find! Would love to visit the pub/brewery at some point.

you can buy directly from the brewery and they will ship it over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Hi lads, I'm not a regular in here, just want to say carrig poachers pale ale is fantastic. My local has it on draft and bottle. Lovely strong refreshing taste. My problem now is that when I'm in another pub with the usual brews it's pointless having a pint. Everything tastes like muck now. It's ruined me!

emo72 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm not a regular in here, just want to say carrig poachers pale ale is fantastic. My local has it on draft and bottle. Lovely strong refreshing taste. My problem now is that when I'm in another pub with the usual brews it's pointless having a pint. Everything tastes like muck now. It's ruined me!

Welcome to the club, you are now an official beer snob. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Followed up with a Farmageddon Smash Amarillo. Really didn't like it. Not sure if indeed it's supposed to taste like that, but found it very unpleasant. First time trying a Farmageddon beer, so hopefully I just chose poorly, and they're not all similarly as unpalatable.
    I thought it was awful too, really really awful. The good news is that their other beers, or at least the ones I've tried, are very nice, namely the Gold Pale Ale, India Pale, and my favourite the India Export Porter.

Ah yes that's right, the bock is seasonal.
    I was over in Bamberg actually last November, unbelievable fresh from the casks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I thought it was awful too, really really awful. The good news is that their other beers, or at least the ones I've tried, are very nice, namely the Gold Pale Ale, India Pale, and my favourite the India Export Porter.

Its clearly a bad batch, has huge solvent aroma and tcp flavour. Why it is still on the shelf is beyond me, doing no end of damage to Farmageddons Rep. There other beers are excellent.

oblivious wrote: »
    you can buy directly from the brewery and they will ship it over
    Sadly, no you can't - not the Dopplebock. It's a seasonal and won't be available again until the 29th November (February 2016 for the lenten beer). You can of course buy the Maerzen, wheat beer and pale larger to keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Its clearly a bad batch, has huge solvent aroma and tcp flavour. Why it is still on the shelf is beyond me, doing no end of damage to Farmageddons Rep. There other beers are excellent.
    yes I came to the same conclusion too, there's no way it's meant to taste like that. I'm thinking it was a bottle sanitation issue.

Sadly, no you can't - not the Dopplebock. It's a seasonal and won't be available again until the 29th November (February 2016 for the lenten beer). You can of course buy the Maerzen, wheat beer and pale larger to keep you going.

Sorry it was implied, when its was relaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Anywhere in Dublin stocking the lagunitas cappuccino stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Anywhere in Dublin stocking the lagunitas cappuccino stout?

Drink store have it.

oblivious wrote: »
    Sorry it was implied, when its was relaced
    Reminder notes duly added to my Google calendar. Is it a bad sign when you're planning your beer purchases 11 months in advance?!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Didn't get to try anything too exciting this weekend.

Two points of order; 1: The Beavertown Blood Orange is still very good.

And 2: Having had one, then the other, in the Ivy House, I actually chose to stay on the Bo Bristle IPA over Punk. I was surprised at the strength of the hop profile of the former, as that's not really how I remembered it from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Drink store have it.

It's not on their website though, just like 90% of new beers they got in this year.

I love that shop to bits, but that is really pissing me off.

Maynard wrote: »
    I actually chose to stay on the Bo Bristle IPA over Punk. I was surprised at the strength of the hop profile of the former, as that's not really how I remembered it from before.

The most underrated beer in Ireland.

Best pale ale in the country.

Bo Bristle IPA is great. Not as pushed on the Amber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

The most underrated beer in Ireland.

Best pale ale in the country.

Love O Brothers The Chancer myself, such juicyness from the hops

The amber's pretty poor alright.

I'd like to see them do an IPA in the 6-7% range. No higher than that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's not on their website though, just like 90% of new beers they got in this year.

I love that shop to bits, but that is really pissing me off.

Yeah that's really starting to annoy me too. Was giving out to Ken about it and he said that they're in the process of getting a new website. Still no excuse though. I hate when I go in to pick up my order and he starts to tell me about all the new stuff he has in. Grrrr..... I've spent too much already! Don't make me have to get more!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement