Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Hadn't checked out Lidl's craft beers dince trying them all when they came out first.
    They only had red ale, Lager and stout then.

What was your opinion of the red, lager and stout? I haven't tried them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hadn't checked out Lidl's craft beers dince trying them all when they came out first.
    They only had red ale, Lager and stout then. Didn't know they had a pale ale, will try it out of curiosity of course :)

Was in lidl yesterday and only saw the lager red and stout

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

If it's anything like the O'Shea's in Aldi they'll be almost always sold out of the pale ale. There always seems to be loads of red ale golden ale and stout and rarely are the pale ales in stock (in my local Aldi anyhoo!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What was your opinion of the red, lager and stout? I haven't tried them yet.

Nothing special tbh, I found the stout to be the best. Actually wasn't too bad off the shelf instead of chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

dintbo wrote: »
    If it's anything like the O'Shea's in Aldi they'll be almost always sold out of the pale ale. There always seems to be loads of red ale golden ale and stout and rarely are the pale ales in stock (in my local Aldi anyhoo!)

Yes the Pale Ale can be hard to get, I've picked up the golden a few times instead and it isn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jack Cody's "Blackjack" Drogheda Cream Stout is pretty good.

I'm not getting the lactose much, but the roast malt has that almost ashtray kind of flavour that I really love in stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Had some 'Hop Priority' from Trouble Brewing.. It's off the charts amazing stuff

From their site...

Style: Triple IPA

Strength: 11.1% a.b.v.

Tasting Notes: Our strongest and hoppiest beer ever, brewed to celebrate our fifth birthday. Made with extra pale ale malt and cane sugar to produce a pale golden beer with a relatively dry body.

We use some of the world’s most highly acclaimed and sought-after hop varieties to give aromas of citrus and tropical fruits with a resinous, bitter finish.

Grain: Pale Ale

Hops: Mandarina Bavaria, Equinox, Amarillo & Vic Secret

Brewed: March 2015

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a few O'Shea's Stouts last night, has to be one of the best value Irish craft beers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I was pleasantly suprised by Brú Rí. Not a big fan of red alse, but this had more depth of flavour, not as caramel/malty as a lot of red ales (eg Oharas red)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had a few O'Shea's Stouts last night, has to be one of the best value Irish craft beers out there.

My wife bought it for cooking but I had a mouthful and found it really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was pleasantly suprised by Brú Rí. Not a big fan of red alse, but this had more depth of flavour, not as caramel/malty as a lot of red ales (eg Oharas red)

Is Rua not the Red Ale? I think Rí is the Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is Rua not the Red Ale? I think Rí is the Pale Ale.

I'd say your right Rua means red

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just having a Gamma Ray APA. Sharp ending to the after taste in that it doesn't linger, which suits it, slightly bitter for want of a better word but nice.If you like your APAs its a good choice in my opinion.

A tad overpriced for a small can though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Holy Cowbell.

Again.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Holy Cowbell.

Again.

it's actually the best beer in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

finatron wrote: »
    I'd say your right Rua means red

Probably was yep

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Picked up a bomber of Evil Twin Molotov Coctail Simcoe Single Hop Addition, its 13% and in the fridge. I will not drink it tonight, I WILL not drink it tonight!!!!

Single Hop addition?

That sounds weird - unless it's an absolutely huge late, or dry, hop addition that's masking a bad beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tis probably one hop used throughout the whole boil and dry hop, only just placed an order for 225g's of citra to do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Seems to get terrible reviews online. Haven't liked any of the evil twin stuff that's been here

• Advertisement

Single Hop addition?

That sounds weird - unless it's an absolutely huge late, or dry, hop addition that's masking a bad beer.

Lots of talk on the beersmith podcasts lately of just using one bittering addition and a massive whirlpool addition. On commercial brewing they are getting up to 20% utilisation from the whirlpool addition.

It just arrived into drinkstore today. I'll try it Friday night

RasTa wrote: »
    Tis probably one hop used throughout the whole boil and dry hop, only just placed an order for 225g's of citra to do the same!

Did the zombiedust clone. All citra, excellent beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Where is Hop Priority pouring at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Hop priority is so good. Has to be up there with foam and fury as the best irish beer. Trouble brewings core range is rather boring, but their specials are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

jsa112 wrote: »
    Haven't liked any of the evil twin stuff that's been here

Well there you go, I loved pretty much all of them!

ET Ryan and the Beaster Bunny was one of my favourite beers of 2014.

Different strokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Where is Hop Priority pouring at present?

Bierhaus, Cork. Nearly gone.
    Beautiful beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Single Hop addition?

He meant edition, not addition, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Two beers which were very different to my usual choices
    -Siren Broken Dreams
    -To Øl Mochaccino Messiah
    the To Øl was an kinda expensive payday treat, both decent beers, but not sure I'd go for either again.

-Lagunitas IPA, first time having their IPA ....stunning beer, really liked it.
    -Goose Island IPA, really nice and will be having it again.
    -Sierra Nevada's BigFoot, first time having a Barleywine, not to impressed, might be a bit high on the IBU for my taste

Had some English beers recently thanks to a brief trip to a Sainsburys, the best of what I had in order
    -Lees Manchester Star -English Strong Ale (7.3%)
    -Ringwood Old Thumper -English Pale Ale (5.6%)
    -Robinsons Old Tom -English Strong Ale (8.5%)
    -Black Sheep Black Sheep Ale -English Pale Ale (4.40%)

Really like the Manchester Star and & Old Thumper, might have to plan a return trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

jsa112 wrote: »
    Seems to get terrible reviews online. Haven't liked any of the evil twin stuff that's been here
    I like Evil Twin's Hop Flood, 4 for €10 in O'Brien's at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I thought the original Molotov was too sweet for me, so I'll give the new one a miss. I like most Evil Twin stuff. Falco and Ashtray Heart and the yin yan ones (can't remember the names) are my favourites.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement