Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Two beers which were very different to my usual choices
    -Siren Broken Dreams
    -To Øl Mochaccino Messiah
    the To Øl was an kinda expensive payday treat, both decent beers, but not sure I'd go for either again.

-Lagunitas IPA, first time having their IPA ....stunning beer, really liked it.
    -Goose Island IPA, really nice and will be having it again.
    -Sierra Nevada's BigFoot, first time having a Barleywine, not to impressed, might be a bit high on the IBU for my taste

Had some English beers recently thanks to a brief trip to a Sainsburys, the best of what I had in order
    -Lees Manchester Star -English Strong Ale (7.3%)
    -Ringwood Old Thumper -English Pale Ale (5.6%)
    -Robinsons Old Tom -English Strong Ale (8.5%)
    -Black Sheep Black Sheep Ale -English Pale Ale (4.40%)

Really like the Manchester Star and & Old Thumper, might have to plan a return trip.

Put a Bigfoot away for a year or so, it really mellows out. Tastess much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin tastes similar to Duvel to me, anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Ipso wrote: »
    Put a Bigfoot away for a year or so, it really mellows out. Tastess much better.

yeah, might do that, I got 2 bottles, so still 1 left. I might put it away and revisit in 12 months.
    Thanks

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin tastes similar to Duvel to me, anyone else?

Not that I can recall....but would be willing to revisit both to taste test :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Where is Hop Priority pouring at present?

57 the headline have it at the minute but not sure for how long.

The barman had to warn me it was 11% heh

€6 for 2/3 of a pint but it was amazing. Pleasantly surprised when I found out it was Trouble brewing. Not too crazy about their selection but this one is great!

Can't remember what lil' sumpin sumpin tastes like but I remember enjoying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I miss Whistleblower IPA, I'll have to get some Hop Priority soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Alfie Byrnes has it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Where is Hop Priority pouring at present?

I see Baggot Street Wines have Hop Priority in Growler. EUR 12.99 for a litre. I think this is the most expensive beer I have seen in the CBG range but I am open to correction.

Grayditch wrote:
    I miss Whistleblower IPA, I'll have to get some Hop Priority soon.

Really liked Whistle Blower. Picked up a short dated case at EUR 2 a bottle in Drinkstore a good while back. Bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

White Hag White Sow, lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I see Baggot Street Wines have Hop Priority in Growler. EUR 12.99 for a litre. I think this is the most expensive beer I have seen in the CBG range but I am open to correction.

yeah but it's 11+%, so that's not really expensive at all.

If top quality wine could be for 12.99 a litre everyone would be buying it.

The comparison is a fair one, given the % abv and quality of both products.

I don't like wine.

But anyway, it doesn't change my observation. I made no comment on the relative value of Hop Priority to other beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A can of Bavaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't like wine.

But anyway, it doesn't change my observation. I made no comment on the relative value of Hop Priority to other beers.

That's very true, but out of interest why mention the price if you are not inferring that it's too expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

A can of Bavaria.

6 for 6 in my local shop :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't like wine..

but you like Irish beer made with American Hops, and the exchange rate is murdering companies who import American Hops.

Perhaps the fat cat craft beer brewers should suck it up.

BaZmO* wrote:
    That's very true, but out of interest why mention the price if you are not inferring that it's too expensive?

Why not? I was curious if anything else sold via CBG had been priced accordingly. I don't recall seeing anything but don't always notice what stouts etc sell for. The medal winning Coisbo Pale Ale was around 9.99 or 10.99 iirc - I would have liked to have tried it.

but you like Irish beer made with American Hops, and the exchange rate is murdering companies who import American Hops.

Perhaps the fat cat craft beer brewers should suck it up.

Relax. Have a beer, or glass of wine. My mention of a price has rattled you more than I could ever have imagined.

Back to Hop Priority, I do hope that Carry Out Tyrellstown gets some. I would like to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Coisbo was 10.99, didn't rate it at all myself. There was anarchy coffee stout 7% for 11.99, didn't rate it either.

For me, the price of hop priority is very fair. It's not going to be brewed again any time soon, so I'm more than happy to take it all !

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Drinking Adnams Ghost Ship, bought in Aldi, pure decent, especially for the price. Lovely light lemony hops flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

90 minute for the birthday bottled in October last year. Still quite fresh.

banjopaul wrote:
    Drinking Adnams Ghost Ship, bought in Aldi, pure decent, especially for the price. Lovely light lemony hops flavour.

Is it widely available in Aldi or just a special?

Is it widely available in Aldi or just a special?

It's one of their core beers they sell

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

It's one of their core beers they sell

Are you sure?

They had it in as a special a few months back and its back again now with two other Adnams' beers.

I presumed it was just another seasonal offering.

lk67 wrote: »
    Are you sure?

They had it in as a special a few months back and its back again now with two other Adnams' beers.

I presumed it was just another seasonal offering.

It's always been there when I've been in, sometimes they sell it slightly cheaper and make a song and dance of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sister got me 14 different bottles of craft beer for my birthday just gone and i have had one a night so far.

At the moment i am having O Haras Double IPA and its not nice at all a very strange bitter after taste from it and its worse then last nights one. I would nearly poor this one down the sink as its not nice at all after a 1/4 of the pint glass this has got to be one of the worst beers i have ever had in my life

Eightdegrees Howling Gale Irish Pale Ale had a bottle of that last night and the same had a very bitter after taste but after a few sips it started to go down a lot better.

Franciscan well Red ale now that was basically what i call the perfect beer it went down so well and the taste was just fantastic i am in luck to be going to there bar in cork in a few weeks time with a few friends of mine and cant wait to try some of there other beers they have on draft.

Sister got me 14 different bottles of craft beer for my birthday just gone and i have had one a night so far.

At the moment i am having O Haras Double IPA and its not nice at all a very strange bitter after taste from it and its worse then last nights one. I would nearly poor this one down the sink as its not nice at all after a 1/4 of the pint glass this has got to be one of the worst beers i have ever had in my life

Eightdegrees Howling Gale Irish Pale Ale had a bottle of that last night and the same had a very bitter after taste but after a few sips it started to go down a lot better.

Franciscan well Red ale now that was basically what i call the perfect beer it went down so well and the taste was just fantastic i am in luck to be going to there bar in cork in a few weeks time with a few friends of mine and cant wait to try some of there other beers they have on draft.

That bitter aftertaste is coming from the hops. Ease off on anything with IPA or Double IPA in its name until your palate adjusts.

It's always been there when I've been in, sometimes they sell it slightly cheaper and make a song and dance of it

Strange...

Only reappeared in my local a couple of weeks back. Was 1.99 when it appeared a few months ago and think it's 2.10 or something now. Never saw it cheaper or dearer.

Perhaps different stores have different stocking policys.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

I had a Galway Bay Brewery / Teeling Whiskey 200 fathoms yesterday. Cost 8.49 but it was delicious. Like a chocolate stout with dessert whiskey. It’s 10% so I made it last, really impressed. Want to try the Franciscan Well / Jameson collaboration but I imagine that’s long sold out

• Advertisement

banjopaul wrote: »

yeah, have to agree. Had 2 bottles last night, first time having it.
    Really enjoyed it

Seems to be some doubt about if its available all the time, I hope it is..

Got me a some of the Adnams Explorer as well, hope thats as nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement