Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,410 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

BoBristle IPA. Quite nice and reasonably priced.
    GH 60 Knots now. It's OK but I'm getting more aroma than an immediate taste off it. A nice aftertaste appears after about ten seconds.
    Choice between Hooker Stout, Kenmare Red and Kinsale Black IPA next. Will probably go for the Kinsale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

if you are drinking the three of them tonight go Red, Stout, IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,410 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yesh. Yesh I might. Trouble is I've three of the IPA and if I get to that stage I can see myself polishing them off.
    Ah feck it. I can get more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a brown paper bag howrye. Was quite sweet with a strong boozy taste and fruity berry flavours with a bit of spice. Really enjoyed this and made me wish I had a nice whiskey at home to follow it up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had the LIDL 'crafty brewery' lager last night. Not bad, haven't had lager in awhile. Reminded me of having a rin of the mill continental lager in a cafe in Belgium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Had both a Rascals ginger porter and a Bru Dubh on draft over the weekend.

Enjoyed the Bru, it was very smooth and creamy. Didn't really enjoy the ginger porter though, might have been because it was after a meal and heavy drinks are rarely enjoyable after one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

CramCycle wrote: »
    Had the LIDL 'crafty brewery' lager last night. Not bad, haven't had lager in awhile. Reminded me of having a rin of the mill continental lager in a cafe in Belgium.

Almost got 4 of them yesterday myself but went for aldi's 'Ghost Ship' pale ale... Wasn't to bad either and better than expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was back in Roscommon for the weekend so a weekend of Sheep Stealer..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was back in Roscommon for the weekend so a weekend of Sheep Stealer..

Nice,was in the bierhaus on Saturday night and saw Buck It,only had one left so I let herself have, I had a Wicklow Wolf Amber on tap,was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Picked up a bottle of the Grafters IPA from Dunnes to try while watching the match tonight.

It's not terrible, kind of on the same buzz as O'Hara's IPA. It pours pretty dark and the label said it was American style so was expecting a big malt profile and zingy hops, instead it's pretty thin bodied and the hops are mostly bittering and not massive on aroma. Infact there's not much aroma at all. The alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering. It kind of strikes me as a British style pale with american hops used for bittering. It can't be old because it's a new "brand" but it tastes like an IPA that's been on a shelf for a little longer than would be ideal.

At €2.35 a bottle it's decent value for a 6.5% abv and I'd probably try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Having the LIDL craft brewery stout now. Have had one a night for the past three. Weird the affect everything else has on it.

Coffee from another stout overpowered it the first night and I got nothing from it.

Last night I got a fair bit of carbonation but not too much, tasted like a real old style bottle of porter.

Tonight I am getting chocolate but I had dessert after dinner.

None of the experiences were bad but they could have been 3 different stouts. All nice though. Might have another some other night when my taste buds are clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Picked up a bottle of the Grafters IPA from Dunnes to try while watching the match tonight.

It's not terrible, kind of on the same buzz as O'Hara's IPA. It pours pretty dark and the label said it was American style so was expecting a big malt profile and zingy hops, instead it's pretty thin bodied and the hops are mostly bittering and not massive on aroma. Infact there's not much aroma at all. The alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering. It kind of strikes me as a British style pale with american hops used for bittering. It can't be old because it's a new "brand" but it tastes like an IPA that's been on a shelf for a little longer than would be ideal.

At €2.35 a bottle it's decent value for a 6.5% abv and I'd probably try it again.

It's another from Rye River

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

It's another from Rye River

I'd read as much on here but thought I'd give it a lash anyway.

It's probably the best thing I've had from them.

Ah right sorry thought you were wondering, yeah saw it in Dunnes today will pick up a bottle so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Founders Dark Penance. Bottle, bought and delivered from Drinkstore 5 weeks ago. Powerful stuff.

I preferred the pale ale to the ipa, but they are both average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

8 Degrees Oxymoron, on draught at the Bierhaus in Cork.

Like Hoegaarden on steroids, really really fruity, a ridiculously summery beer. Very enjoyable.

Also had some Lagunitas IPA, again draught. Class. Powerfully hoppy.

And finally got round to trying a can of Metalman. Excellent beer, tasted really fresh and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Nice beer :) Bottles are rolling out across the country too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

oblivious wrote: »
    Nice beer :) Bottles are rolling out across the country too

Yeah, the New Zealand hops really bring something new to it. I've honestly yet to be disappointed by anything brewed by 8 Degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Looking forward to trying it was up in Dublin at the weekend so got to Baggot St wines and picked up a bottle of it. Picked up a nice selection, got my first Growler a litre of Hop Priority so so good one of the nicest I've tried hard to believe it's 10%
    Schlenkerla Marzen and a Weizen
    White Hag Heather ale and Christmas ale
    and a Founders KBC stout thought I wouldn't get a chance to try this

Had their last bottle of Lagunitas Coffee stout in my hand and I'm sorry I didn't pick it up now after reading the comments here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Agreed, tried it last weekend. For the price, it wasn't bad at all. Definitely tasted better than the McGargles equivalent IMHO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Down in Dublin this weekend, anything nice on tap to look out for? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

irish_goat wrote: »
    Down in Dublin this weekend, anything nice on tap to look out for? :)

Beermarket

Oxymoron by 8degrees if you have not already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had 2 bottles of Triple Chocoholic from Saltaire Brewery last night in Grimes in waterford 1st time ever in that pub and i will say its fantastic and cant believe it was my 1st time in there after 4 years in waterford.

But back to the Stout basically it is what it says it is full of chocolate and it takes so nice and went down way to easy. Cant wait to try some again

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grabbed one of each of Aldi's Adnams as they had next to nothing else in stock. Seem decent enough so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

oleras wrote:
    i would expect a lot of folks to be jumping ship, that's a hefty increase.

L1011 wrote:
    Grabbed one of each of Aldi's Adnams as they had next to nothing else in stock. Seem decent enough so far.

When you say "Aldi's Adnams" is a different from what's sold in Wetherspoons etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    When you say "Aldi's Adnams" is a different from what's sold in Wetherspoons etc?

I suspect not, just meant the three they have (was being lazy). Ghost Ship, Lighthouse and Explorer.

L1011 wrote:
    I suspect not, just meant the three they have (was being lazy). Ghost Ship, Lighthouse and Explorer.

There standard issue, ghost is good when in condition

• Advertisement

Would anyone know if Hop Priority will still be in baggot st wines come Saturday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement