Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

donal7 wrote: »
    The wife surprised me with a few bottles of Jever Pilsener. Have to say it's gorgeous, really like it.

Anyone else tried it?

Aye, had it a few times in Germany/Netherlands, kind of nice herby pils if I recall it right. Don't think have ever seen it in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

jsa112 wrote: »
    Thought 8 Degrees oxymoron wit beer was not great

agree. it wasn't for me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just opened my second bottle of Porterhouse Celebration Stout.

€2.15 is such a cheap price for such a quality stout.

Very tasty. Not overpowering either at 7.5%. Allows the flavour to really come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Some places do deals on porterhouse beers, so you can get the celebration stout for 2 euros. Must buy some again, had been drinking loads of earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a Mountain Man Sneaky Owl last night, very nice. Lovely malty, caramel, nutty flavour. Really impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Dungarvan/Nøgne Ø Seaweed Saison.

Initially wasn't sure about this one, but after I realised that the slightly strange aftertaste was salt, I'm really enjoying it. I'd say it'd pair beautifully with some fish.

Had a bottle of this on Saturday evening in the pub, thought it was gorgeous, would have been interesting to try it with some seafood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just opened my second bottle of Porterhouse Celebration Stout.
    jsa112 wrote: »
    Some places do deals on porterhouse beers, so you can get the celebration stout for 2 euros. Must buy some again, had been drinking loads of earlier in the year

Wouldn't mind a taste, any off licenses in Dublin selling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RadikAle Hopster American Pale Ale.
    New Gypsy brew from a Belgian guy in Cork.
    Quite amber coloured for a pale.
    Not as hop forward as you might hope but it has a gorgeous, balanced, fruity malt character.
    Really nice beer.

Mostly bottles but launch on Thursday in Bierhaus, Cork with kegs and one cask.
    Dying to try it dry hopped on cask.

I've seen redmonds and baggot street offy has celebration stout and that deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Currently having my first bottle of Of Foam and Fury. How did I manage not to have one before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a can of Beavertown's Bloody 'Ell over the weekend. Really enjoyed but for some reason it really really reminded on the times I've spent lost weekends in Amsterdam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Had a decent Thornbridge Halcyon Imperial IPA last night, not as spazzy with the fruitiness as I expected but decent all the same, shame those guys stuff all come in 500ml bottles though, was room-temperature for the second half!

Had a 8° Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner with dinner there, lovely refreshing biscuity stuff, like a Staropramen but cleaner and not macro'd, was about to say again that these guys can do no wrong, but got their Kiwi Wit up next so might hold my breath judging by what people have been saying about it on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a can of Beavertown's Bloody 'Ell over the weekend. Really enjoyed but for some reason it really really reminded on the times I've spent lost weekends in Amsterdam. :)

Had one of those last night and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tried Lagunitas Little Sumpin last night based on recommendations here - very tasty, hoppy without being overpowering or too bitter, and definitely didn't taste 7.5% - a winner!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland was on in the Beer Market, very silky smooth chocolate porter. I got the last glass I think as a few seconds later the board had already been wiped and rewritten with a different beer. Liked the fact that there was a water cooler in the bar, encourages you to have a little sup of water inbetween beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CramCycle wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a taste, any off licenses in Dublin selling it?

I get the porterhouse celebration stout in Molloys in Clonsilla.

They were out of it for a while but back in there of late.

Next time I'm in I must stock up actually.

Having a punk ipa, I remember this tasting a hell of a lot better in the past. Pretty disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

1906 Reserva Special :/

Best I could find in the local supermercado.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Decided to tip down to the hole in the wall on blackhorse Avenue to kill the Tuesday blues. Only down the road. Had an Amber Ella and a Ginger Porter, very nice.

The place always manages to get under my skin, ordered a Bru Rua for the OH, and they went to the RI tap and started to pull a pint, I tried to reiterate that I wanted the Rua, to which they said this is the Rua, despite the fact that it was coming out of the RI tap and it was a pale yellow colour. The lady then sniffed the glass, continued to pour and said sher if it's not right bring it back.
    OH was happy enough with the RI anyway, but what a service.
    The idea of having a nice pub serving craft beer within walking distance is nice, but I'll be sticking to town and not going back there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I missed out on it at the Alltech fest, but at last I've got around to tasting Beavertown's Bloody 'Ell (from a can).
    I possibly made a mistake by drinking it after a bottle of Gas Man, but even if I didn't get all of the flavours I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Anyone seen Little Creatures pale ale in Dublin recently ?
    I know there's other pale ales but it's for nostagilic reasons.
    Thanks.

Think I spotted some in O’Briens Citywest a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,410 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Has anyone found a good beer place in Alicante? Doing a flying visit but don't know the city. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Has anyone drank the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout? Local shop have stocked it recently.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yep, it's not as sickly sweet as a Truffle Stout, and doesn't have that creamyness of a Milk Stout, but does have pronounced bitterness, and a smokey/ashy burnt flavour, if that's what you want in a stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had two new beers there last night.

Robinsons Old Tom chocolate Ale had 2 bottles of this last night. Smelled a bit odd kind of like a wet dog but went down extremely nice and tasted fantastic poored really well to.

Then i went for a strong one for bottle number 3 last night brew dogs hardcore ipa witch was just fantastic i am not really a fan of extremely heavy IPAs but this tasted just right and smelled fantastic as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Has anyone found a good beer place in Alicante? Doing a flying visit but don't know the city. Cheers.
    Try Malatesta, 17 Avenida del Doctor Gadea, Alicante, 03003 or La Taberna de Tito Gastronomía Alicantina, Plaza Santísima Faz, Alicante 03002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Growlers going into the Next Door over beside The 57 today

Trond wrote: »
    Has anyone drank the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout? Local shop have stocked it recently.....

It's a very big, strong, dark stout.
    Very complex.
    I like it.
    Don't expect a really chocolatey taste, though. I doesn't have chocolate in it like the truffle stout or Young's Chocolate stout. It uses chocolate malt in the mash bill - a dark malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Had a 8° Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner with dinner there, lovely refreshing biscuity stuff, like a Staropramen but cleaner and not macro'd, was about to say again that these guys can do no wrong, but got their Kiwi Wit up next so might hold my breath judging by what people have been saying about it on here!

It's unreal, fucc da haterz :pac:

I got round to trying Polar Vortex there. Wowee. Delicious beer. Stupidly drinkable.

• Advertisement

I'm a huge fan of 8 Degrees beers.
    About the only beer of theirs that I don't really like is the Oxymoron.
    (oh the first version of their Russian Imperial was mank too, I thought)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement