Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I kept a bottle of Dungarvan's Coffee and Oatmeal Stout in the cupboard since before Christmas. Just drinking it now and noticed the "best before" date is April 2014, so it must have been a winter 2013 release. I'm not getting much of a coffee flavour, but it is giving me a smokiness I wasn't expecting. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

slayerking wrote: »
    Decided to tip down to the hole in the wall on blackhorse Avenue to kill the Tuesday blues. Only down the road. Had an Amber Ella and a Ginger Porter, very nice.

The place always manages to get under my skin, ordered a Bru Rua for the OH, and they went to the RI tap and started to pull a pint, I tried to reiterate that I wanted the Rua, to which they said this is the Rua, despite the fact that it was coming out of the RI tap and it was a pale yellow colour. The lady then sniffed the glass, continued to pour and said sher if it's not right bring it back.
    OH was happy enough with the RI anyway, but what a service.
    The idea of having a nice pub serving craft beer within walking distance is nice, but I'll be sticking to town and not going back there.

Didn't have a great experience myself there the weekend, and not because I didn't like the ginger porter.

My first choice was a full Irish, barman said there was none left. That's grand I'll grab something else. So we sat at the bar anyway, not even a first sip out of my beer. Some lad comes behind, 3 full Irish please. There you go sir. A different barman managed to find 3 pints, and I don't think it was because the keg was changed between the few minutes I ordered and the other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

White Gypsy Amber Pale Ale in Bierhaus Galway last night, didn't stand out, no great flavour, perfectly drinkable but in no way interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

White Gypsy Amber Pale Ale in Bierhaus Galway last night, didn't stand out, no great flavour, perfectly drinkable but in no way interesting.

Huh?

They're just taking the p1ss naming beers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Imperial Black Amber IP Porter Ale is my next brew day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Imperial Black Amber IP Porter Ale is my next brew day.

100% pale malt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I had Lagunitas Equinox Pale Oat Ale, primarily it uses equinox and simcoe hops.
    I wasn't crazy about Sierra Nevada's beers brewed with Equinox, but this was lovely. The Eucalyptus type taste was more subtle, and it had that familiar Lagunitas taste. To be honest I wouldn't have known there were oats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Huh?

They're just taking the p1ss naming beers now.

Ya I was intrigued.There was shag all malt and only a hint of hops.Was just fairly bland really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

White Gypsy really seem to be going downhill as of late IMHO, their beers seem to be getting blander :(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    White Gypsy really seem to be going downhill as of late IMHO, their beers seem to be getting blander :(

I thought the ruby red has changed a bit but not noticed any difference with the imperial stout or double bock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Having a bottle of Sierra Nevada Boomerang to wash down a dinner of pan fried cod with honey-mustard glaze and giant couscous,roast red pepper and fetta salad.

I like it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Growlers going into the Next Door over beside The 57 today

Didn't know there was a branch nearby the 57 where is it exactly

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Brehon Brewhouse Shanco Dubh Porter. My first Monaghan beer!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

marco_polo wrote: »
    Didn't know there was a branch nearby the 57 where is it exactly
    Facing Griffith College on the south circular. Right beside Noshington. Great spot for some food if you're in the area. The tables out the back in the garden are perfect if there's a bit of sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Drinking the 8 degrees oxymoron. It has a love it hate it characteristic. I think. I dint love it or hate it. But its got too much happening to be meh. I like it the way I like marmite, I can't fully commit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Blackstairs Dark Fiery Porter, loving this, chilli hits the back of your throat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On the way home from a race, I stopped in Aldi to get butter (I like butter, the real stuff, not spreadable) and thought, a beer would be nice. Everything was pretty much gone so i went with Tyskie.

Nothing special but its reasonably refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA has arrived on our shores...

slayerking wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter IPA has arrived on our shores...

I've been reliably informed it's "grand" not going to break my balls trying to get a bottle but I'll grab a few if the chance arises.

I've been reliably informed it's "grand" not going to break my balls trying to get a bottle but I'll grab a few if the chance arises.

It's just a copy of Lagunitas IPA.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's just a copy of Lagunitas IPA.

Like actually or tastes like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

CramCycle wrote: »
    On the way home from a race, I stopped in Aldi to get butter (I like butter, the real stuff, not spreadable) and thought, a beer would be nice. Everything was pretty much gone so i went with Tyskie.

Nothing special but its reasonably refreshing.

If in Aldi, always worth getting the O Shea beers. Pale ale is great value, stout is pretty nice & I think the Golden Ale is a very pleasant, cheap lawnmower beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Jack Cody's Hail Glorious Saint Patrick - really really like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RadikAle launch in Bierhaus tonight. I really liked the bottle but the keg version was even better. Tasted fresher and a little bit hoppier. The dry hopped cask was beautiful. Looking forward to the next offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BMJD wrote: »

What style is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If in Aldi, always worth getting the O Shea beers. Pale ale is great value, stout is pretty nice & I think the Golden Ale is a very pleasant, cheap lawnmower beer

I like their stout, just out of everything. They had Adnams but I haven't tried it and was not in the humour to push the boat last night.

Is the Adnams stuff nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I like their stout, just out of everything. They had Adnams but I haven't tried it and was not in the humour to push the boat last night.

Ive had the explorer.

Good malty flavour and a hint of hops.

Definitely no IPA as I've heard it described more like a good ale imo.

Id buy again but don't be expecting a a whole host of hops here.

Someone mentioned O Sheas pale ale as a good lawnmower beer. Well id put adnams explorer in the same category.

A nice summer ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Picked up a few in my local fresh during the week. Hope to try one tonight after an exam

Laguintas cappuccino stout
    Hop stoopid
    Ske decadent imperial IPA
    Sierra Nevada beer camp hippy lager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ghost Ship was quite nice I thought and is rated as the best of them.

• Advertisement

Like actually or tastes like?
    It was just a subtle reference to the lawsuit

BMJD wrote: »
    I really liked it too. Although, I thought it smelled rank.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement