Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

nplunkett wrote: »
    They have a few craft deals - kinnegar any 3for €10 incl the ltd edition Maddyroe

just been, picked up a Rustbucket, a Yannaroddy and a Maddyroe. Do grand.

I notice Yannaroddy is part of the core range now, a good thing, but they've removed any reference to coconut on the label. Wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

just been, picked up a Rustbucket, a Yannaroddy and a Maddyroe. Do grand.

I notice Yannaroddy is part of the core range now, a good thing, but they've removed any reference to coconut on the label. Wonder why.

because they forgot to put any coconut into the mix :) , a good porter imo.

blueshed wrote: »
    because they forgot to put any coconut into the mix :) , a good porter imo.

It was a good porter when it was billed as "coconut" - are you saying the recipe has changed from the original Special Edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

no, i dont think there was ever any coconut in it, tried it 3 times and never got the coconut but liked it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

It was a good porter when it was billed as "coconut" - are you saying the recipe has changed from the original Special Edition?

I dont think so but the fact that most people couldnt taste coconut changed their labels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

coconut is evil, i have this upstairs but i'm afraid to drink it (bought it without knowing coconut was in it).

coconut is evil, i have this upstairs but i'm afraid to drink it (bought it without knowing coconut was in it).

did you mean to attach a pic or something? If you are talking about Yannaroddy, don't worry, there is no coconut in it.

I actually might brew a porter and use coconut water, small batch maybe 10litres or so.

Because the idea always had me intrigued, and I was very disappointed that I couldn't detect coconut in it

It IS a decent stout, and Kinnegar are consistently coming out with really, really good beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robot6

Parrotdog: Bloody Dingo Imperial Red IPA
    Great beer from Wellington NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Last night - Chatoe Rogue First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager. I like black lagers, but this one was far fuller than any other I've had before. Roasty flavours, but also chocolate and coffee. Very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I very much enjoyed the Brown Paper Bag Project collaboration Gose.
    Yummy, sour, salty goodness.
    Somewhat reminiscent of an approachable, easy drinking geuze.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Yep found it very nice too, their Big Red was pretty good also I thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Over the last couple days I had Deschutes Inversion IPA, this was ok but I was expecting more.
    I also had Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout, I really liked this. It was very smooth but had a hint of an "artificial" aftertaste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

did you mean to attach a pic or something? If you are talking about Yannaroddy, don't worry, there is no coconut in it.

There is coconut in Yannaroddy, its listed as an ingredient on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was in Belfast at the weekend and got into the Crown. An impressive 5 beers on the hand pump. I opted for two pints of Bee Endeavour. Not a bad beer if a wee little bit sweet and the ginger doesn't overpower it. It's well worth a pint if you get a chance to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Foam And Fury is no less delicious from the bottle. World class double IPA.

My Antonia made an appearance tonight, still one of my favourites.

My Name Is Vlad. Dark musky DIPA, but I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just booked a trip to Brussels for June, first time. Where do I need to go. Delirium?

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just booked a trip to Brussels for June, first time. Where do I need to go. Delirium?

Chez Moeder Lambic is well worth a visit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

stuchyg wrote: »
    Delirium?
    I would avoid, though I haven't been to the upstairs bit yet. Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas definitely. The Cantillon brewery. Poechenellekelder is nice, and I also like Toone and Á La Bécasse, more as pubs than beer geek destinations. I'm hearing great things about the restaurant Nüetnigenough but again I've not been.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm hearing great things about the restaurant Nüetnigenough but again I've not been.
    Its a great spot, only 2 minute walk from Chez Moeder. I had the rabbit cooked in Cantillon bio, delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Picked up 4 McGargles IPA for €7.50 with a free funky bottle opener. Anyone ever have it? Looking forward to trying it tonight although OFAF has ruined IPAs for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not G.R wrote: »
    Picked up 4 McGargles IPA for €7.50 with a free funky bottle opener. Anyone ever have it? Looking forward to trying it tonight although OFAF has ruined IPAs for me :P

At least you got a bottle opener.
    Can't really say a lot else.

Heroditas wrote: »
    At least you got a bottle opener.
    Can't really say a lot else.

Oh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Shared a bottle of Firestone Walker Double DBA on Saturday. Gorgeous beer but so expensive.

a85aa1981dac576670de7a13b0431afe_640x640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Oh :(

Actually, I can say something good about the IPA.
    It's nicer than their Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you're gonna be comparing it to OFAF you might as well poor it down the sink now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭squonk

I tried a bottle of OFAF in the Blind Pig on Thursday night. Sweet baby jesus! It's quite a while since I drank a beer that made me contemplate each sip afterwards. Seriously great stuff. Mine was from the bottle so I'll be definitely popping into the Salt House next time I'm in Galway for the draught version. I was impressed last year when Buried At Sea arrived but now I'm stunned. They're really pushing the boat out further and further with each new beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Last night I had Old Rasputin's Russian Imperial Stout. I really enjoyed it, the abv wasn't too apparent but. I did find it heavy, two or three would be enough for me.

My word is that "I"PA bad. Its fairly fruity on the nose but it leaves a lingering "aftershave" taste. It like walking into your granddads bedroom as a child after he doused himself in Brute and it getting lodged in your throat.

Ive read that its actually brewed in the UK by a contract brewery while theyre building a €1 milllion brewery here. What's the point if they're just going to brew muck like that?

The only positive is that I've found Beoir because of them and subbed... so there's that.

I really hope they succeed, it'd be a real shame for an independent Irish brewery to go under, but they seriously need to up their game if they want to avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Had me an Emelisse Smoked Rye IPA last night. Really nice beer, probably a good option for anyone that's tried smoked beer before and didn't like it but wants to give it another try.

The smokiness isn't the overwhelming camp fire/bacony flavour a lot of the smoked beers can have. The smoked element is definitely more of a subtle complimentary flavour to the beer rather than the main aspect of it.

Its unmistakably there in the aroma but the fruitiness and slight grassiness of the hops make up the majority of the taste with a pleasant and interesting aftertaste of the smoky maltiness.

I'm a fan, would buy it again, its a strong flavoured sipper for something a bit different, goes really really nicely with steak, wouldn't be picking up a dozen and going on a session of the stuff though.

This is the first Emellise beer ive had. Never heard of them before. Dutch apparently. Interested in trying some more from them now, seems they have quite a range including an 'innovation series' which the smoked rye is part of. Other beers in the range include a smoked coffee porter and a crème brulé stout. The hunt begins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement