Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

what is the best irish brewed red out there atm, dont like the style myself but its for a recommendation?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

adamski8 wrote: »
    what is the best irish brewed red out there atm, dont like the style myself but its for a recommendation?

Probably 8 Degrees Sunburnt Irish Red or Franciscan Well Rebel Red. You'd pick those up in Tesco as well so you wouldn't have to visit a dedicated off-licence to find them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not G.R wrote: »
    My word is that "I"PA bad. Its fairly fruity on the nose but it leaves a lingering "aftershave" taste. It like walking into your granddads bedroom as a child after he doused himself in Brute and it getting lodged in your throat.

Ive read that its actually brewed in the UK by a contract brewery while theyre building a €1 milllion brewery here. What's the point if they're just going to brew muck like that?

The only positive is that I've found Beoir because of them and subbed... so there's that.

I really hope they succeed, it'd be a real shame for an independent Irish brewery to go under, but they seriously need to up their game if they want to avoid it.

On the bright side, you got a bottle opener!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

An File wrote: »
    Franciscan Well Rebel Red.

No longer Irish brewed though...

O'Hara's Red or 8 Degrees Red would be my favourites.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    No longer Irish brewed though...

You've opened a can of worms there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

adamski8 wrote: »

Porterhouse Red for me or the new Red from the BPBP (think it's only a special though?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Best Irish red for me is Bru Rua, by a mile.

Porterhouse red is pretty nice also - from the bottle, not on the nitro tap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

O'Hara's Red or 8 Degrees Red would be my favourites.

I still haven't tried the O'Hara's! Dunno how I managed that. Might get a few for the weekend.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Porterhouse Red for me or the new Red from the BPBP (think it's only a special though?)

Another good shout. That BPBP red is quality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Heroditas wrote: »
    You've opened a can of worms there!

Not even getting into the whole Molson Coors thing though, just pointing out that it's being brewed in the UK at the minute.
    An File wrote: »
    I still haven't tried the O'Hara's! Dunno how I managed that. Might get a few for the weekend.

The O'Shea's Red Ale in Aldi is great value too(€1.79). Definitely worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Not even getting into the whole Molson Coors thing though, just pointing out that it's being brewed in the UK at the minute.

Ah! I didn't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Brooklyn Irish stout - not bad, not great.
    Chorca Dhuibhne Béal Bán - solid golden ale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Brooklyn Irish stout - not bad, not great.
    Chorca Dhuibhne Béal Bán - solid golden ale.

Where did you get the Brooklyn Irish stout?

Saw on Twitter today that there is some Brooklyn monster floating about Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

drumswan wrote: »
    Where did you get the Brooklyn Irish stout?

Saw on Twitter today that there is some Brooklyn monster floating about Dublin
    Hollands in Bray literally got it in today (fresh off the pallet).

Four Corners are the distributors so I assume it will be in all the good off-licences soon

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A fan of McGraths Red, myself.

Tis a good clear night. Think I'll darken it up with a Narwhal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout, first few sips I thought it was lovely but after a while it was like drinking chocolate milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dregin wrote: »

Had a bottle of it on Saturday evening; suitably impressed by it. Shame it's a wee bit on the dear side, though.

As to a good red, if it's considered to be one then Copper Coast is a contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Ipso wrote: »
    Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout, first few sips I thought it was lovely but after a while it was like drinking chocolate milk.

Same.

Was the first choc milk stout I had, and it nearly put me off them.

The sam smith oatmeal and imperial stouts are a whole lot nicer though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Had a bottle of it on Saturday evening; suitably impressed by it. Shame it's a wee bit on the dear side, though.

As to a good red, if it's considered to be one then Copper Coast is a contender.

Read that as McGargles Red and was just wondering what the hell I was missing :)

• Advertisement

I had one of those in a bar in Limerick that usually sticks rigidly to the popular macros. It was a bit too cold out of the fridge, but I think I remember enjoying it anyway!

I've an O'Hara's Red in the fridge now to go with dinner. That should do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

McGrath's stout is also very nice but they are very expensive indeed, perhaps arbitrarily.

Their beers have a quite distinctive malty character across the varieties, which, in my mind, ties them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Just had some Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale. Nice stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ravelleman wrote: »
    McGrath's stout is also very nice but they are very expensive indeed, perhaps arbitrarily.

Their beers have a quite distinctive malty character across the varieties, which, in my mind, ties them together.

I have eyed up their range over the last year and I did enjoy the ale but when pitched on a shelf beside O'Hara's, Dungarvan, Franciscan Well etc, are they worth the euro a bottle more which they ask?

Just for those who might be interested, the Carry Out in Ashtown is still closed and there's a sign in the window:

"Dear customers, due to circumstances out of our control, the shop must remain closed today"

It's been shut for a whole week now. Starting to fear the worst. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It was never busy when I was in it.

It was never busy when I was in it.

I was only ever in it at lunchtime.
    TBF there's a big enough potential market on their doorstep - unless people were preferring SQ or Spar for cheap slabs.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I was only ever in it at lunchtime.
    TBF there's a big enough potential market on their doorstep - unless people were preferring SQ or Spar for cheap slabs.

I never once bought beer in SQ, the craft choice was always brutal.

I never once bought beer in SQ, the craft choice was always brutal.

Agreed but I bet the slabs of bland make up the majority of the sales and if people are going to SQ/SV instead of Carry Out for that muck, then the place will struggle.
    Having said that, I always got the impression that the lads in Carry Out had decent enough bargains for the fizzy muck.

• Advertisement

Did you ever make it to a tasting in there? I was down just before Xmas and they were doing McGargles - they had planned to do week on week off wine & beer - the woman running it didn't really know much about beer though, and was asking me what she should do with them, cooler or shelf etc. It was McGargles, but I hadn't the heart to tell her to sling it down the sink!

Anyway, I was going to ask them to let me run the tastings, alas it looks like I won't get the chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement