Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Had a bottle of Brewdog Stereo Wolf Stout. I felt used after it, completely underwhelmed by it, and at £5.95 for 330ml I was robbed.
    The only thing I could compare it to was a bottle of Guinness Dublin porter 'craft'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Really enjoying my first taste of Farmageddon India Export Porter. It's slightly sweet and creamy, but has all the dark flavours you'd expect from a good porter. Only downside is that I don't have a second bottle handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tried Oxymoron this evening - poured half of it down the sink. I really don't like that style of beer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'm all over the Oxymoron Kiwi Wit stuff... 4 for 10€ in Deveney's too!

Tried loads of beers over at the Brewdog event in Aberdeen. Brewdog plan on opening a giant brewery in Ohio and are underway building another giant one in Scotland! They're opening lots more bars, making lots of new beers, even ones with other brewers and exciting things indeed. They're even opening a Brewdog hotel and having themed Brewdog bars :| No plans for a Dublin bar yet but they're working on it apparently.

Cans of jackhamer out soon and Born to die was delicious. I wrote down what ones I tried since my memory is a bit shakey and I'm a bit delicate at the minute :pac: They're also releasing a Gluten free beer iirc

Went to a Mikkeller tasting session and sweet baby Jesus their stuff is good. An 18%er and 8%er beer and they were epic... Think one was called 'Alive'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've been well and truly violated tonight. Went to this bar and I see this stuff on draft, "Cute Hoor". I'll have some of that please. Blergh, jesus christ, what the **** is this ****? worse than bleedin Carlsberg. I had to Google to see what I was drinking, f you Heineken.

Lol I got stung with that weewee in O'Neill's on Suffolk Street a few weeks ago too. I was actually googling as I was waiting at the bar but by the time I got the bad news it was too late. I think the sign claimed it was an amber or else a red IPA so I thought it would be ok at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Oh and I'm currently enjoying a Beavertown Bloody 'Ell Blood Orange IPA, tis lovely. Orange is the new black it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Having a Padrino Porter from Edge brewing in Brew Dock. Bloody lovely, vanilla and chocolate flavours but still has a bitter bite to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thank you snowblind...

eukiuf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Good shout on the Péché Mortel x3. It's an incredible beer. The Aphrodisiaque is pretty special too.

I have a bottle of the Speedway put away that I haven't tried yet.

Currently sharing a bottle of Franciscan Well Jameson Stout. It's a very good stout that disguises it's 8.4% strength very well. However unlike some barrel aged beers I've had, I'm not really getting anything except the merest hint of whiskey. If someone gave it to me as a regular stout I'd be very happy with it, but I think they're pushing a whiskey angle that really isn't there. It's a one litre bottle, so it's going to be more expensive but I don't really think they've done enough to justify the €15 price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout, Room temperature or slightly chilled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Zaph wrote: »
    Currently sharing a bottle of Franciscan Well Jameson Stout. It's a very good stout that disguises it's 8.4% strength very well. However unlike some barrel aged beers I've had, I'm not really getting anything except the merest hint of whiskey. If someone gave it to me as a regular stout I'd be very happy with it, but I think they're pushing a whiskey angle that really isn't there. It's a one litre bottle, so it's going to be more expensive but I don't really think they've done enough to justify the €15 price tag.

Is that also on draft ? Was in a pub last week and they had 3 different beers from them on draft, was driving at the time so didn't check it out any further but that stout sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of the Innis and Gunn range.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout, Room temperature or slightly chilled?

Always start a little bit chilled and then it'll warm a bit and open up the flavours.

I had a bottle of Double Bastard over the last couple of nights. It was too cold initially and the coldness wasn't doing it any favours. Once it warmed up a bit it was truly amazing. Fantastic beer.

Speaking of beer being too cold, I was in L.Mulligans the other day and had a pint of Hopfanatic - Alulu Coconut IPA and Rascal's - Big Red. Both were teeth chatteringly too cold.

The Alulu wasn't great, too gassy and the coconut mixed with the hops just gave it an overly perfumed aftertaste. Really liked the Big Red. I know Irish Reds get a hard time here but this imo is what a good Irish red could be without it being an American Amber clone. It was malty and packed with fruity hops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No beer should be served at room temp, cellar temp is optimal, 8-12 degrees.

Or -2 for macros :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

God that Jai Alai was amazing, not as fresh as would have liked as canned on the 7th of Jan but still. The finish..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Always start a little bit chilled and then it'll warm a bit and open up the flavours.

I had a bottle of Double Bastard over the last couple of nights. It was too cold initially and the coldness wasn't doing it any favours. Once it warmed up a bit it was truly amazing. Fantastic beer.

Speaking of beer being too cold, I was in L.Mulligans the other day and had a pint of Hopfanatic - Alulu Coconut IPA and Rascal's - Big Red. Both were teeth chatteringly too cold.

The Alulu wasn't great, too gassy and the coconut mixed with the hops just gave it an overly perfumed aftertaste. Really liked the Big Red. I know Irish Reds get a hard time here but this imo is what a good Irish red could be without it being an American Amber clone. It was malty and packed with fruity hops.

There was nothing "perfumed" about that beer and coconut plus hoops worked well have to agree beer is served to cold.

transik wrote: »
    There was nothing "perfumed" about that beer and coconut plus hoops worked well have to agree beer is served to cold.
    Ok, thanks for correcting me on that. I often make terrible mistakes in judgement and it's great that I can be corrected by someone more knowledgeable such as your good self. I'm just glad that my judgement on the temperature has been vindicated otherwise my review would've been a total and utter disaster. Phew!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

coconut plus hoops worked well
    Any comment on the contribution of the hoops, Bazmo?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Ok, thanks for correcting me on that. I often make terrible mistakes in judgement and it's great that I can be corrected by someone more knowledgeable such as your good self. I'm just glad that my judgement on the temperature has been vindicated otherwise my review would've been a total and other disaster. Phew!

Wow! The sarcasm detector just went up to eleven on my phone here.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Any comment on the contribution of the hoops, Bazmo?

They've had a good start to the season with their unbeaten run, but that said, they're still only in third position.

It's a long season though.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is that also on draft ? Was in a pub last week and they had 3 different beers from them on draft, was driving at the time so didn't check it out any further but that stout sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of the Innis and Gunn range.

Franciscan Well do a draught stout, Shandon Stout, but that's only 4.3%. The one I had is only available in bottles afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Zaph wrote: »
    Franciscan Well do a draught stout, Shandon Stout, but that's only 4.3%. The one I had is only available in bottles afaik.

They have had it on draft a few times lately, only in the brewpub though. Never hangs around for long though and haven't had a chance to try it on draft myself. Yet.

They have had it on draft a few times lately, only in the brewpub though. Never hangs around for long though and haven't had a chance to try it on draft myself. Yet.

That's interesting, I'd be keen to try it on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bottle of Of Foam And Fury in O'Rielly's Tara St. for €6.90. The rest of the rage for €5.

Had a Beavertown Gamma Ray tonight. Such a great IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Good shout on the Péché Mortel x3. It's an incredible beer. The Aphrodisiaque is pretty special too.

I have a bottle of the Speedway put away that I haven't tried yet.

Yeah Peche is great!

I would suggest drinking the Speedway as soon as possible, the coffee flavour will fade, and made the fresh bottle I had in the states all the difference vs other similar beers I've had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Justice pale ale by Kelly's Mountain Brew. Pretty light and refreshing, almost a caramel taste to it. Not sure how others feel about it but it's nice to have on a sunny day like today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Heady Topper and Focal Banger ;)

Currently in Vermont, the beer scene here is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 transik

Ok, thanks for correcting me on that. I often make terrible mistakes in judgement and it's great that I can be corrected by someone more knowledgeable such as your good self. I'm just glad that my judgement on the temperature has been vindicated otherwise my review would've been a total and utter disaster. Phew!

Cmon man dont be like that. Lets shake hands and get you a lolipop.

Beer wasnt floral/ perfumed in taste at all.
    I am not expert myself by any means but have done 3 days basic sensoric course just for fun i know how dms tastes like and can tell difference beatween "perfumed" and not "perffumed" beer. 150 beers behind my belt, maybe more and hungarian hopfanatic brewery not bad at all better then many irish brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Cmon man dont be like that. Lets shake hands and get you a lolipop.

Does the lollipop have coconut hoops?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Some Independent Brewing Whiskey Stout. Very nice, I'm particularly sensitive to the taste of whiskey due to a bad experience in my student days but I get a nice warm feeling from this. It's a great stout to sit over and savour due to the variety of flavours. I mentioned before I like the whiskey (or whisky being where they are) Innis and Gunn stuff and this would easily be my turn my eye given the choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement