Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Headline bar also has Sucks, and it's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Bottle of KPA and a few pints of Chieftain in the pub last night, have two bottles of sabotage in the fridge for tonights entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Got a bottle of that Chocolate Orange James Brown Brews Stout to try out. Have any of you tried it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Got a bottle of that Chocolate Orange James Brown Brews Stout to try out. Have any of you tried it yet?

Had a bottle a couple of weeks ago. Was ok. Very slight taste of orange from it. Thin Body. Was very surprised when I heard it had won Beer of the year in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

stuchyg wrote: »
    Had a bottle a couple of weeks ago. Was ok. Very slight taste of orange from it. Thin Body. Was very surprised when I heard it had won Beer of the year in Kerry

While its a solid beer and I mean no disrespect to James and what he's doing, the entries were fairly thin for the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Breaking bud. Bottled end of May. Super citrusy, real easy drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

stuchyg wrote: »

Have just popped it open there and I have to agree. Wouldn't pass up a Breakfast stout for it. Nice opening to it but that's about it. Still a grand old stout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I heavily hinted to my wife that I wanted a particular beer hamper my local offie had for fathers day and she's just after giving me a hamper looking so pleased with herself...except she got the wrong one.it couldn't have been worse

Its hard to drink a Hallows&Fentimans ginger beer with a smile on my face

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I heavily hinted to my wife that I wanted a particular beer hamper my local offie had for fathers day and she's just after giving me a hamper looking so pleased with herself...except she got the wrong one.it couldn't have been worse

I feel your pain man. :(

It's like when you were a kid and you'd ask for an Action Man and you'd end up get a Man of Action instead. Only difference is that this time you have to pretend you're happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Suck it up

And years later, you can let her know

Lose the battle, win the war :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm never anything but to the point when replying to the question "What would you like for...", I ask for the budget then give an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Yes, going on having thrown an empty in to the recycling during the week. Clearly it wasn't much to write home about as I've no memory of drinking it - it was about three months of bottles I was dumping.

If it was good enough for the award I'd have remembered it - although on the flipside if it was terrible I'd have said so on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Grand stretch is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

O Brother The fixer: this is the closet American red I've had in Ireland but not American. It's got nice malty caramel biscuit flavour followed by the hops.
    It's a perfect example of the American red/amber style beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Two Hundred Fathoms. It was starting to look very much like I had missed the boat on this one and I was convinced I was never going to get my hands on one.

I've read about the orgasmic bottle of wine where everything comes together perfectly balanced and you could spend hundreds and possibly thousands and still not manage to find that bottle.

I think Two Hundred Fathoms is my orgasmic stout it's almost as if I managed to describe to them my perfect stout and they somehow were able to de-cipher that and create it. I bought all the bottles they had on the shelf and I'm all ready getting anxiety attacks that at some point I won't be able to get anymore :D

Funnily enough I've never tasted a teelings whiskey. I'm going to make sure that changes in the next week or two soon.

Galway lads have ruined most IPA's for me and now Stouts. Blast them to hell!

Now I'm going to see if beernut or someone who speaks much more eloquently than I on these matters have wrote about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh no!
    What hamper were you after and what one did you get?

For that very reason, my wife never buys me beer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a Blacks IPA last night, quite nice, wasn't sure what to expect, it was kind of like a beer that did not know what it wanted to be, but it worked out really well, I think it wanted to be a stout but smells like an IPA

Also had a Stormy Port, also quite nice, a bit of dark chocolate, bit of malt, nothing overly strong flavour wise but quite drinkable, quite carbonated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Was at my parents yesterday for a bbq so brought along cans of Dead Pony Pale Ale, Easy Jack, Dale's Pale Ale, Bloody 'Ell and finally a 750ml bottle of The Bruery Saison Rue which was quite delicious.

58c79d50189f2d987523dd330c380a3d_640x640.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

revolu wrote: »
    Oh no!
    What hamper were you after and what one did you get?

For that very reason, my wife never buys me beer.

I wanted one which had Dead Pony,Thornbridge Jaipur,White Hag,Brooklyn,Delerium and I think a Wicklow Wolf amber

she got a gluten free hamper which does have a couple of mikkeller I like but has Stonewall cider. I absolutely detest cider,that ginger beer I drank last night and Wold Top Against the Grain which I didn't like the last time I had it. Maybe she's subtly trying to tell me something

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Had a Born To Die earlier - very disappointing, so pulled out a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. That stuff is just great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Red Wolf wrote: »
    Had a Born To Die earlier - very disappointing, so pulled out a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. That stuff is just great.

I had a Lagunitas special release; a Blood Orange Pale Ale. It reminded me of a Lil Sumpin Sumpin with a nice citrusy taste, the citrus came across mire subtle than I thought.
    It reminded me of Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter in that I was expecting a more intense taste but it ended up being subtle. Still a nice beer.
    I also had Grape Fruit Sculpin from Ballast Point, not inpressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had 3 week old Foam and Fury, kinda disappointed, remember this tasting a lot better. Think I'll have to go back to brewdog hardcore for my DIPA needs

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Kinsale - KPA (can): Decent and pretty good value (€2.29 in SuperValu) As somebody here mentioned, it's a little over-carbonated.

Brewdog - Punk IPA (can): Hadn't had this in years so thought I'd try it again. It was a fresh can, but I thought it was only average. Overrated.

Hoegaarden (bottle): My favourite 'macro' beer. A lovely summer beverage.

Sierra Nevada - Hop Hunter IPA (bottle): Very nice and well-balanced.

Galway Bay Brewery - Voyager: On tap at The Oslo. Really good. Much better than the original version from a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

jsa112 wrote: »
    Had 3 week old Foam and Fury, kinda disappointed, remember this tasting a lot better. Think I'll have to go back to brewdog hardcore for my DIPA needs

It's not just me!
    I suspect that there's a substandard batch out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Alesmith - Speedway Stout. Beautiful beer. The balance of the coffee is just spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Alesmith - Speedway Stout. Beautiful beer. The balance of the coffee is just spot on.

Where did you get your hands on alesmith? They make great beers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

btw, The Thomas House now have Lagunitas IPA on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Tried a couple of new beers over the weekend:

O Brother The Fixer: a flavoursome Simcoe red. My OH found it a tad on the bitter side but I thought it was just right. Based on this, I would be quite keen to try out The Chancer. After a long period avoiding red ales, I've really come around to them again. My tastes do seem to oscillate but the style must be getting better too.

GBB Voyager: with a Beoir voucher it came in at €3.50 for a glass in The Black Sheep. Not really pushing the boundaries but I found it a very tasty addition to the lineup. It certainly doesn't have the body or balance of OFAF but I thought it was better value.

GBB scotch ale (Respect Your Elders?): I was quite excited to try this out as I rather like scotch ales. The barman promised me malt but I found the taste very much on the bitter side. Where was the caramel? A work in progress perhaps but also to be commended for giving new styles a go. I wanted something new and got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Drank a bottle and cooked with another of Lefevre Cidre, it's a lovely French Cidre, coming into Ireland via an Irish-French partnership.

Had a couple of Pork Chops cooked with onion, apple and broccoli in a cidre cream sauce, very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

dregin wrote: »
    btw, The Thomas House now have Lagunitas IPA on draught.

They had 3 bottles of Hook and Norton's Twelve Days for €10 the day they got it in. Not sure how much it is now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement