Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yeah I sneaked out of the office one Friday afternoon for the Founders tasting. Unfortunately the beers were straight out of the box so some of them could have done with a wee bit of chilling.
    I think they only did another one after that. I never received any more emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I have eyed up their range over the last year and I did enjoy the ale but when pitched on a shelf beside O'Hara's, Dungarvan, Franciscan Well etc, are they worth the euro a bottle more which they ask?

Personally, I don't think they're worth the extra euro in comparison to some of the above. Their stout is excellent though. I'd prefer it to the likes of Black Rock and Shandon. Leann Follain is much better value however - to my palette at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I never once bought beer in SQ, the craft choice was always brutal.

Really?

I wouldn't call, Punk, 5AM, Goose Island IPA, Sierra Nevada PA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Flying Dog, Anchor Liberty, Dungarvan, Widmer Brother's, Galway Hooker, Redhook, Duvel, O'Hara's, to name a few, a brutal selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Really?

I wouldn't call, Punk, 5AM, Goose Island IPA, Sierra Nevada PA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Flying Dog, Anchor Liberty, Dungarvan, Widmer Brother's, Galway Hooker, Redhook, Duvel, O'Hara's, to name a few, a brutal selection.

compared to what was across the road?

compared to what was across the road?

Compared to anything, that's a fantastic range for an Irish supermarket. It's certainly not muck.

It pretty much covers all tastes, and when they were doing the 5 for 6 offer I think they were the cheapest out of all the off licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Superquinn are great. That 4 Belgian beers for 12 quid was one of the best deals I've ever seen. Delirium in there and all.

Also, they're always stocked with Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Grayditch wrote: »
    Superquinn are great. That 4 Belgian beers for 12 quid was one of the best deals I've ever seen. Delirium in there and all.

Also, they're always stocked with Kona.

Yeah I've always been impressed with their selection, they currently have 4 bru rua for a tenner (its 3.60 a bottle in drinkstore). Just hope they don't scale down now they've switched to Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Went to Bull & Castke tonight and had a Ruthless Rye on tap followed by an Amber Ella on tap.

And I was happy.

On returning home drank a Yellow Snow IPA which I was delighted with after a lack lustre dead guy ale the other day followed by a delicious BPBP pleasant porter.

Good beer day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I just want to give one more thumbs up for My Antonia (again). It really has become one of my favourite beers. I'd love to have a cheaper supply of it here, but I think at €4.30 in McHughes and Drinkstore I'll probably always grab at least one when I can.

beer_99437.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Had a bottle of dead metaphor a oatmeal stout from brewdog.

Considering oatmeal stout is my favourite style of beer this came right up to the top of the list :)

• Advertisement

I'm going to be in O'Neill's later, an oft-overlooked purveyor of crafty goodness.

Have they anything interesting currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm going to be in O'Neill's later, an oft-overlooked purveyor of crafty goodness.

Have they anything interesting currently?

Last time I was was at the start of February. They had a decent selection with some of the Kinnegar range, 8 Degrees, O'Haras, Trouble and then some Brewdog and maybe a couple of others like that. I remember being very tempted by a bottle of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I have to go to the Twelveth Lock tonight. Anyone know what they have as have not been there in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I have to go to the Twelveth Lock tonight. Anyone know what they have as have not been there in a long time.

I think they have Hooker and Five Lamps on tap but can't be certain.
    They have an ok selection of bottles though. Haven't been there since last summer so can't be certain what they have.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I think they have Hooker and Five Lamps on tap but can't be certain.
    They have an ok selection of bottles though. Haven't been there since last summer so can't be certain what they have.

Yeah was there about that time also. Hope they do have Hooker all the same. Make the night that bit easier or just wont drink at all.

Hooker is a weird one for me, I kind of skipped over it.

then I was in a bar with it on tap just before Xmas and got a pint - bland as hell really.

only a year previous I would have dismissed it as "too hoppy".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

then I was in a bar with it on tap just before Xmas and got a pint - bland as hell really.

only a year previous I would have dismissed it as "too hoppy".

It's one of those nice introductory beers. A bit of hops and a nice refreshing body. I still enjoy a pint especially during summer but wouldn't be rushing out to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I managed to snag myself two bottles of "Two Hundred Fathoms" from Galway Bay Brewery. I'm looking forward to getting to try them tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I managed to snag myself two bottles of "Two Hundred Fathoms" from Galway Bay Brewery. I'm looking forward to getting to try them tonight.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I had a pint of Smithwicks Pale Ale for the first time in ages in Whelans on Wednesday, it tasted way better than the last time I had it, it was by no means a hop monster but was definitely hoppier than I remembered. Anyone know if they tweaked the recipe?

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Where?
    The Brew Dock got in four boxes of the stuff during the week.
    They seem to be receiving sporadic deliveries each week, a box here and there. I got a bottle there last week which I think I'll have tonight. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I had a pint of Smithwicks Pale Ale for the first time in ages in Whelans on Wednesday, it tasted way better than the last time I had it, it was by no means a hop monster but was definitely hoppier than I remembered. Anyone know if they tweaked the recipe?

In my experience, they are either constantly tweaking it or there's a big difference in freshness. There is a bar in Derry that used to sell it and the barman would admit he'd go 3 or 4 days without pouring any, so you never know how long the keg has been tapped. Pints there just always tasted like a bland, blonde ale. I've had pints of it where I thought it was actually decent enough though. The inconsistency puts me off it big time though.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The Brew Dock got in four boxes of the stuff during the week.
    They seem to be receiving sporadic deliveries each week, a box here and there. I got a bottle there last week which I think I'll have tonight. :)

Have the day off, gonna wander down to ATG to see if they have any

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

When I first tried it it rocked my world. Now I find it pretty inoffensive. Solid but never at the top of my list.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    When I first tried it it rocked my world. Now I find it pretty inoffensive. Solid but never at the top of my list.

Yeah same here but if in a pub and its the only craft beer it will be perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I still find fresh pints of Hooker very enjoyable. It's obviously not as hop-forward as some of the newer additions to the Irish craft scene, but it's a great 'session' beer.

drumswan wrote: »
    Have the day off, gonna wander down to ATG to see if they have any

Result, got two bottles in ATG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Was in Cork last weekend and ended up on the Rebel Red on Draught. Only had it in bottle before and it is a completely different drink on tap, way nicer. Would defo tackle some more of it but maybe on draught only though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭squonk

+1for the Hooker. It was my regular drink in Galway as it was very easy to get in bars up there. It's tamed over time in comparison to some of the more hoppy beers out there as I've started to get into those more and try them, but it's far from a bad beer and is my staple really. If I see it in a pub in bottles/draught, I'm quite happy indeed!

• Advertisement

Supervalu have a new four for a tenner offer

http://supervalu.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/D21-PA404-final-low-res.pdf

Went over to Ranelagh, of course they have no Bru Ri, Bru Dubh, Kenmare Pale Ale or Kenmare Red Ale, the ones I was interested in. If anyone sees these let us know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement