Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Picked up a Cerveza Dougall's Leyenda Bitter in Dunnes this evening, should be interesting.

Surprisingly very nice, nice balance between hops and some light caramel sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Brick By Brick "Bosun’s Moustache" I thought it was an American IPA but turns out its a Lithuanian IPA!
    Its an ok IPA but nothing that would make me go back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Ryath

Doing some of Wild Atlantic Way for a few days. Pint of Galway hooker pale with dinner in O'Dowd's in Roundstone lovely pub and food. Only saw after I ordered they had Sheep Steeler Buckit and a few Independent beers.

Couple of Kinneger Rustbuckets in Clifden then last night night. First time trying it realy nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Tried Galway Bay's new gorseflower witbier on tap at The Oslo. I wasn't impressed by it - thought it was too thick and heavy for the style. I have also tried Mescan's witbier and White Hag's White IPA this year but I didn't like any of these as much as plain old Hoegaarden.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

limnam wrote: »
    James Brown - Chocolate Orange Stout.

Was fairly disappointed with this possibly too high an expectation.
    There was nothing here for me. As a stout it was too light in the body the finish was non existent and not a a single hint of orange could my taste buds muster out of the glass and I really put the effort in.

I have had two of them, both as bland as each other, no orange at all, I thought I got a hint of orange in the first one but since it was only on one mouthful and I couldn't taste it again, I presume it was my mind playing tricks on me.

I got another one this weekend, hoping it was just my taste buds the last time.

No idea how it won anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Picked up a couple of Odells St Lupulin - good but not outstanding. Fairly balanced but was expecting more hops. Fire rock was much the same but a little less malty.
    The cans of Punk were the nicest beers I had at the weekend.
    Would like to try a new IPA if anyone has suggestions. Something like Gamma Ray or Modus Hoperandi would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Couple of after work beers to kill the Monday blues. Started with Uncle Zester by Siren. Unlike anything I've ever tatsed. Sweet, juicy and sour with a malty backbone. Lovely stuff. Followed by a Goodbye Blue Monday. Solid as ever. Love the stuff. Skipped on over to the beer market for GBB new wit. Awful. No lemon, no Coconut, almost no carbonation. On top of that really heavy and cloy. Don't know want went wrong here. After I left I thought it could have been the Uncle Zester screwing with my taste buds. Will try again at a later date to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Black's of Kinsale Session tastes a lot better than the first time I tried it, when it first came out in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

just had a bayreuther zwickl beer. really enjoyed it. i mainly bought it cause it was a swing top bottle but its like memories of the best lagers i had in pubs. just that time when the heineken or bud really hit the spot. maybe it's cause i've been drinking lots of hoppy ales but it was a nice change of pace

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have had two of them, both as bland as each other, no orange at all, I thought I got a hint of orange in the first one but since it was only on one mouthful and I couldn't taste it again, I presume it was my mind playing tricks on me.

I got another one this weekend, hoping it was just my taste buds the last time.

No idea how it won anything.

i had 2 as well, no hint of orange, better than average stout but i was hoping for more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,296 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kinnegar Cup & Saucer Coffee Stout this evening. I was expecting a lot more of a coffee hit to it, it's a lot more subtle than some others I've tried, and the coffee isn't really sustained as you drink more. That said, it's a nice stout without being spectacular, and I suspect it would be just as acceptable without the addition of the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Voyager US (bottle) - nice, very nice in fact but I'm not 100% sure I'll pay €6 for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Brooklyn Brewery - Dark Chocolate Stout

After reading what beernut had said about it in this post I was really looking forward to it as if it came anywhere near 200 fathoms I was going to be in for a treat.

Don't get me wrong, it's not awful. But I was slightly disappointed. It has the perfect body, nice mouth feel, bit of warmth, perfect amount of alcohol for me but all the flavors were lack luster, the stout profile, the roastyness, the chocolate arrived in just a dry sourness that never got balanced out. No vanilla, caramel,smoke or espresso as i would have expected and the finish vanished very quickly. When I read the reviews I'm left scratching my head wondering what they or I was drinking completely different drinks

Brooklyn Brewery - Dark Chocolate Stout
    as if it came anywhere near 200 fathoms I was going to be in for a treat.

Don't get me wrong, it's not awful. But I was slightly disappointed.

would you say 200 fathoms is better? is the brooklyn stout whiskey barrel aged? i had the 200 fathoms and loved it. I've just bought the franciscan well jameson barrel aged. sorry for the barrage of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Doesn't appear to be according to Brooklyn's site. I had it before and wasn't particularly impressed. Haven't really been blown away by any of Brooklyn's beers

Had Siren's Uncle Zester, amazing stuff. Their Quadrophenia wasn't great though. Really liking Siren, doing a lot of cool beers.

Tried some of the new O'Briens offerings, sorachi ace was terrible, as was the falcon red collab, the milk stout isn't bad though. All three have a weird amount of carbonation though.

janiejones wrote: »
    would you say 200 fathoms is better? is the brooklyn stout whiskey barrel aged? i had the 200 fathoms and loved it. I've just bought the franciscan well jameson barrel aged. sorry for the barrage of questions

200 fathoms is a far far superior stout. Brooklyn is not barrel aged as far as I know. If you want something closer to 200 I think founders KBS is a lot closer to the same league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

200 fathoms is a far far superior stout. Brooklyn is not barrel aged as far as I know. If you want something closer to 200 I think founders KBS is a lot closer to the same league

200 fathoms is no where near the same league as KBS. 200 fathoms is great, but KBS is the nectar of the gods. Theres that tiny little gap between the two that makes a massive difference

200 fathoms is no where near the same league as KBS. 200 fathoms is great, but KBS is the nectar of the gods. Theres that tiny little gap between the two that makes a massive difference

Our taste buds will just have to differ, but the great thing is, they'll be both right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

jsa112 wrote: »
    Tried some of the new O'Briens offerings, sorachi ace was terrible, as was the falcon red collab, the milk stout isn't bad though. All three have a weird amount of carbonation though.

Do you mean O'Hara's?

Personally I thought they were all great, although Sorachi Ace is a divisive hop. I thought the Foreign Affair (falcon red??!!) was the best of the three.

So there you go - Boards people disagree on beers.

Who'd have thunk?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's the milk stout? I'd be interested in trying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Got a few bottles of Schneider Weisse today. I must say I like it, going down well with barbecue pork ribs at the moment!

It's "lubulin to dublin", think this is the second version of it. Did you try brooklyn's sorachi ace lk67 ? Far better version imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sierra Nevada's Kolsch from their summer pack is lively stuff. I think this years Hoptimum is a bit like Torpedo.
    I also had two from Ballast Point; Victory at Sea Porter with Coffee and Vanilla which was lovely and Grunion Pale Ale which smelled like onions and sweaty socks. That wasn't so good.

jsa112 wrote: »
    It's "lubulin to dublin", think this is the second version of it. Did you try brooklyn's sorachi ace lk67 ? Far better version imo

Yep, have had both. They're quite different beers but I liked both of them. Mind you I'm VERY fond of S A hops!

Haven't tried the wee bottles of Brooklyn's yet though and only had Carlow's on draught.

Off to the offie again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I couldn't discern much difference between O'Hara's PA and SA when I'd a pint of SA in
    The Norseman
    on Saturday night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had some of the Radik ales over the last few days:

Hopster: Didn't like at all, can't say why, the flavours were just either not there or over bearing with the single hop, just not for me.

Rubenesque: Started like an OK belgian, not overly flavoursome as it was slightly too chilled but as it warmed up it tasted like a blend between a good red ale and a mild Belgian Dubbel, not overpowering but a lovely blend of tastes, would recommend this to anyone who likes either, will definitely get again

I couldn't discern much difference between O'Hara's PA and SA when I'd a pint of SA in
    The Norseman
    on Saturday night

I find Sorachi Ace to be unlike any other hop. Different palates, different opinions I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I actually suspect a few things

1. it wasn't Sorachi Ace coming from the tap, but Barry served me and we had a chat about old times, so there's no way he'd do that knowingly.

2. It was an old (ish) keg, with beer in the line, and the flavour had disappeared.

3. I'm not able to discern the SA flavours from the usual hop profile of O'Hara's Pale (it was definitely O'Hara's, their beers have an underlying flavour profile).

4. the flavour profile of SA is not as "different" as is being stated. I could detect no lemongrass (a flavour I cannot stand by the way), nor bubblegum sweetness.

I didn't think the sorachi ace was particularly coming through in the O'Haras one. Got it more with the aroma from what I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone else a fan of Left hand Nitro Milk Stout? Think its one of nicest stouts I've had in ages. So easy to drink.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement