Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I had the same experience with the Grapefruit Tea Pale Ale.. horrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tuborg. Slightly warm Tuborg.

I'm relatively skint till payday and didn't feel like spirits (which I already own enough to kill a football team with...). Its about all Lidl had :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Took a Roadtrip tonight! ;)

xm7m0p.jpg

None left in Kilbarrack tonight, so I took a strop. Suddenly a keg came out and the growler was hooked up! Apparently reaching the end of the road with possibly another half batch on the way. Kinneger will continue it under a different guise, and have their own American Pale Ale. Thank god. I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I managed to get 1 bottle out of Kilbarrack, must of been too early for the keg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I managed to get 1 bottle out of Kilbarrack, must of been too early for the keg :(

Last keg also for the moment. Was in there at 8:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Having the Brooklyn black chocolate stout, winter 12/13. Alcohol smell and feel, strong dark chocolate flavours. Nice sipping beer.

Not on 200 fathoms level.

Still have a bottle of Franciscan Well stout Jameson aged but I need a reason to open it better than Friday night ... maybe Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Ended up picking up 4 Wychwood Gingerbeard. Its certainly different than i expected. Its v refreshing with a nice spice to it.

I think I like it (as I open my third!)

wychwood-ginger-beard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

L1011 wrote: »

I'm relatively skint till payday and didn't feel like spirits (which I already own enough to kill a football team with...). Its about all Lidl had :(

You need to make contact with all the guys that pour drink down their sinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There would have to be something seriously wrong for me to pour a beer down the sink

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,296 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RasTa wrote: »
    There would have to be something seriously wrong for me to pour a beer down the sink

I got a bottle of honey beer in a hamper once. One mouthful was enough to consign the rest of the bottle to the sink, it was absolutely vile stuff. Normally if I'm drinking a beer that I'm not enjoying I'll finish it and not buy it again, but the sink was the only possible end for that beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

RasTa wrote: »

It's literally only happened to me twice, both times were east German "porter". I have no idea wtf they think a porter is, but apparently it should taste like a flat coke :eek: Absolutely horrific, straight down the sink both times.

Tried the Cotton Ball Kerry Lane pale ale there, really nice ale. Smells kinfd of sickly sweet initially, but doesn't actually taste like that.

Some old reliables as well, KPA, Black's Black IPA, and Leann Folláin. All great beers.

Still to go at some stage is Wicklow Wolf IPA and Rocket Ship IPA from Black's. Woohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Been a few weeks, these are the better ones I have had in the meantime:

Victory DirtWolf Double IPA: lovely subtle passionfruit and honey aroma, rich hoppy flavour,
    very deep and smooth and slightly malty.

DouGall's Leyenda Cerveza Extra Special Bitter: Another surprise-find in Dunnes, not cheap but worth
    it. Not sure when Spain started making nice beers but thisis good stuff! Has a lagerish cleanliness
    to it and is smooth but a nice malty thickness and a tad bitter bite, kind of weird really is like
    almost like an English Ale, a Belgian Trippel and a German Lager all had a party in the bottle and
    they all got along really well!

Mikkeler US Alive: Tasty and with a complex flavour, nice wash of stone fruits, the sour is not Geuze
    level more warm and subtley spicey like a more intense Wit beer. Would not think it was 8% ABV,
    would probably guess 6%.

Beast from the Yeast: AMAZEBALLS, I would drink this all night, nice and sparkly, warming like a
    tripel but smooth and easy like a nice belgian dubbel, fair whack of flavour, but smooth and wel balanced,
    reminds me of a lot of nice easy-going belgian beers but hoppier.

O Brother Farmhouse Ale: Not great a bit too sharp sour/bitter taste, a bit too musty, drinkable but
    harsh enough.

Tommy IPA by Head in a Hat Brewers: Single Hop Goldings which is unusual. Strong, bold golden syrup
    flavour, quiet clean all the same. A tad over the top for me but still decent enough, interesting at
    least to see what something tastes like when you hop the hell out of a beer with an old-world hops.

Sierra Nevada Harvest Wet Hops 2014: Wasn't a huge fan at first sip but it grew on me as the 750ml+ bottle
    diminished! The hop flavour is not very citrusy or tropical, but more a deep floral, subtle bittering
    and and almost malty wash to it. The beer itself minus the hopping is quiet clean and this counter-point
    works well as a whole, giving a ton of emphasis to the hops by contrast.

Victory Brewing Golden Monkey Tripel: These guys are my new favourite brewers, wasn't expecting a lot
    from a US brewer making Belgian styles and I have been fortunate enough to try a LOT of Belgian beers so
    the bar was set pretty high! Sooooo clean and smooth, nice almost creaminess to it, just the right balance
    of a tiny squeak of sour and warm hoppiness/alcohol, would in no way clock this at 9.5%ABV from tasting it.

Widmer Brothers Alchemy Pale Ale: Nice and easy, not too hoppy by APA standards, somewhat Tripely with
    decent tingley finish, slight caramel/maltiness. Good beer.

Red Hook Audible Ale: Got for €1 in a local offie as was past its best (bottled last June..) so can't
    really be sure if this is anyway near how it should taste! Zero head but not flat, quite a thick
    beverage, no flavours really jump out, tastes like an English Mild mixed with a lager :S

Nine White Deer Black Lightning IPA: Only learned of this brewer when I passed it in the car on the way
    to Clonakilty, thought to myself "who the F are Nine White Deer?!" the building looked a decade or two old
    so was very confused about this brewer down the road that couldn't find in Cork city but was so near!
    Found them eventually, lovely dark stuff, thin body as an IPA should be, hopped like crazy but clean and
    very easy drinking. 6.5% ABV but only a whisper of alcohol taste. Great stuff, looking forward to trying the
    rest of these guys brews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Kinnegar Yannaroddy Porter

260x510_p1395749582350_kinnegar_yannaroddy_porter..jpg

It's described as a Coconut Porter but the coconut was pretty undetectable imo. Not too carbonated, nice smooth head and balanced flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

L1011 wrote: »

Tyskie for me. Wasn't arsed going the off licence to get something nice at 9pm! I just made sure it was really cold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Nomad from Eight Degrees an IPL which is an Indian Pale Lager.

It's a strange one alright as you get the hop wallop pretty quickly but you also get that crispness you get from a lager.

I liked it considering I'm not a big lager fan at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, there was a hoppy lager in Spoons, don't know of it's still there, it was decent enough.

I've actually got a growler of Papa Pils that I think I'll drink tonight, which should be along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I also liked Victory's Dirtwolf a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Down in the Three Tun. Supping some cloudy Cornish scrumpy.. Delicious.. The wife gone away and they have 3 other ciders on. Bliss...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Voyager u.s.I have to say is top league.
    I know that on a few occasions i have may bash irish craft to the ground but this time you did something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland on draught in The Beer Market.

Without doubt one of the finest stouts I have ever tasted. Even the aroma of cocoa that emanates from the glass is just delicious. Outstanding stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Having a KBS, fantastic stuff. Love the chocolate and Bourbon flavours to it. Have to compare it to 200 Fathoms now.

Brehon Summer ale picked up 4 for €10 in Monaghan also picked up their Stoney Pale ale in the same deal.

The Summer ale is lovely and light sweetness with a nice grapefruit bite to finish. Pours a lovely amber colour too.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Brehon Summer ale picked up 4 for €10 in Monaghan also picked up their Stoney Pale ale in the same deal.

The Summer ale is lovely and light sweetness with a nice grapefruit bite to finosh. Pours a lovely amber colour too.

I like that brewery, the Stoney Grey IPA and the Shanco Dubh porter are two pretty good beers, not tried the Summer Ale yet.

Even the Golden Ale and Red Ale aren't bad.

I like that brewery, the Stoney Grey IPA and the Shanco Dubh porter are two pretty good beers, not tried the Summer Ale yet.

Even the Golden Ale and Red Ale aren't bad.

Yeah I really like their beers too. The porter is a good solid beer and the red isnt too bad either.
    The Summer ale and Pale ale are very good and at 4 for €10 you cannot go wrong.

I need to make more visits back to Monaghan to get a good deal as these beers are about 3.99 in Molloys or about 4.20 in Drinkstore.

are they not something like 4/€12 in Dunnes?

But the Shanco Dubh is 7.2% or something like that, I don't think €3.99 is overpriced for that.

are they not something like 4/€12 in Dunnes?

But the Shanco Dubh is 7.2% or something like that, I don't think €3.99 is overpriced for that.

Is it 7.2%? Wow then I have no issues with the price if so.

yep, it's up in the 7s alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had Jack Codys Lazy Eye Ale yesterday, very nice rye ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Had the pleasure of drinking Brehons Shanco on cask at The Beer Snobs beer festival in Navan on Saturday. It was awesome! Had a good few of them. The Summer Ale is a good session beer! They're a good solid brewery making great beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

milkstoutnitro1.jpg

Wow. Like velvet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement