Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A couple of award winning* homebrews lined up for tonight - a mild and an American rye.

* National hombrew club's recent competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A couple of award winning* homebrews lined up for tonight - a mild and an American rye.

* National hombrew club's recent competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I'm convinced Galway Bay have way more than 900 bottles of 200 fathoms and are trying to maintain a kind of rarity with it. It keeps showing up!
    Having said that, it's a bloody gorgeous beer all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Crafty Dan Triple C and 13 Guns.

Triple C has the 3 c hops. It's nice and bitter but not too over powering. I would prefer it to be hoppier but nice try.

13 guns is an American IPA pours a lovely dark amber. A little sweet finishes off quite dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Stout night tonight.. A bottle of O'Hara's Leann Follain and I finally picked up a bottle of Young s Chocolate Stout, quite interested to see what it tastes like. I also have one bottle of the Stout I made a few months back, I am interested to see how well it has "improved" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Crafty Dan Triple C and 13 Guns.

Triple C has the 3 c hops. It's nice and bitter but not too over powering. I would prefer it to be hoppier but nice try.

13 guns is an American IPA pours a lovely dark amber. A little sweet finishes off quite dry.
    Picked up the 13 Guns and the Big Ben on Redmond's, didn't see the Triple C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Independent pale ale at the mo. Lovely hoppy pale ale and apparently there's rye in it also. Tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

slayerking wrote: »
    I'm convinced Galway Bay have way more than 900 bottles of 200 fathoms and are trying to maintain a kind of rarity with it. It keeps showing up!
    Having said that, it's a bloody gorgeous beer all the same!

It's hard to know, it looks like the pubs keep getting deliveries of 2 / 3 cases. So if the 6 pubs get 3 cases a week then that's around 4 weeks worth of it.

Disappointed as I missed out again in Brew dock. Went in after work to pick up a couple and they were sold out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sampling a couple of homebrews from a fellow Boards poster tonight.

Also, I was in Tesco in Maynooth earlier and they have the likes of O'Haras etc at 2 for €5 or 4 for €9.
    Not bad!

However, what was most amusing was seeing McGargles being effectively flogged off at 4 for €7!
    The price is dropping every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sipping on a 200 Fathoms now. Very nice, not mindblowing though. Quite sweet. For me it's a milk stout that hides the % really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Having a second go on the founders breakfast stout. I enjoyed it the first time but the coffee took a bit of getting used to, this time I had it at roomish temperature, a fine stout.

Well The Twelfth Lock had no Galway Hooker but O'Haras pale ale. Franciscan well in bottles but no other Irish craft there.

Well The Twelfth Lock had no Galway Hooker but O'Haras pale ale. Franciscan well in bottles but no other Irish craft there.

I'd prefer O'Haras pale on tap to Hooker.
    Franny Well in bottles is good but having nothing else is a bit disappointing

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd prefer O'Haras pale on tap to Hooker.
    Franny Well in bottles is good but having nothing else is a bit disappointing

Yeah they had a few odd beers here too like Colomba and Salitire and the iron maiden beer. Shame but I was happy enough with O'Haras.

Yeah they had a few odd beers here too like Colomba and Salitire and the iron maiden beer. Shame but I was happy enough with O'Haras.

They had Trooper? Urgh, awful stuff.

Stayed away from it.

Went home and had a Kinnegar Maddyroe Burnt IPA. I really liked it. Reminds me of a hoppy American amber just can't place my finger in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was in O'Neills

met Declan ex of Kav's, he says it will be open during the week and it will be "all craft" - was happy to have a few pints of WG Bruin - lovely beer.

He couldnt tell me which night it would re-open but hopefully its tues or weds, and i want to be there for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

drumswan wrote: »
    Supervalu have a new four for a tenner offer

http://supervalu.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/D21-PA404-final-low-res.pdf

Went over to Ranelagh, of course they have no Bru Ri, Bru Dubh, Kenmare Pale Ale or Kenmare Red Ale, the ones I was interested in. If anyone sees these let us know.

Centra on Manor st (down the street from Drinkstore) have all these beers as part of the same offer. Centra and Supervalu are both part of the Musgrave group.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Found a great beer shop in Amsterdam, so I'll be starting the day with a Mikkeller Brunch Weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Was in O'Neills

met Declan ex of Kav's, he says it will be open during the week and it will be "all craft" - was happy to have a few pints of WG Bruin - lovely beer.

He couldnt tell me which night it would re-open but hopefully its tues or weds, and i want to be there for it.

Is Kavanagh's reopening or is he opening elsewhere? *excited*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Grayditch wrote: »
    Found a great beer shop in Amsterdam, so I'll be starting the day with a Mikkeller Brunch Weasel.

BierKoning by any chance?
    They have almost every Beer imaginable but the service is terrible- they could do with some competition.

Just around the corner from BierKoning there is an excellent craft beer pub called "Beer temple" with loads of IPAs & Imperial stouts, I had a great session there last year.

http://www.beertemple.nl/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

nosietoes wrote: »
    Is Kavanagh's reopening or is he opening elsewhere? *excited*

The fella who owns the building is opening his own pub there. Only going to have 1 cask engine and I'd imagine a much more scaled back beer selection than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

SuperValu doing All O'Haras main range, Kenmare Red and IPA and Brú Rua, Dubh and Rí 4 for €10

Heard good stuff about Bru Rua... Anyone have Bru Ri before?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wouldn't call it awful. Probably doesn't live up to the hype, but I actually quite enjoyed it. I'd certainly have it again if the choice was limited......and the price was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I wonder about people who call beers 'awful'. Trooper is entirely inoffensive. Is there really such thing as an 'awful' beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Not G.R wrote: »
    SuperValu doing All O'Haras main range, Kenmare Red and IPA and Brú Rua, Dubh and Rí 4 for €10

Rua is nice, haven't had the Ri yet but will have by the end of the day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Was in O'Neills

Which O Neills? Pearse St?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Not G.R wrote: »

Kenmare Red & IPA? Is there a new brewery in Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

drumswan wrote: »
    I wonder about people who call beers 'awful'. Trooper is entirely inoffensive. Is there really such thing as an 'awful' beer?

I started a "what's the worst beer you've had" thread - inspired by Hopped to the Gates of Hell. The thread is mostly populated by, IMO, bland, inoffensive beers. I was amazed at what people consider to be really awful when it comes to beer. There is lots of beer I wouldn't be bothered drinking but very few that I absolutely wouldn't drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Which O Neills? Pearse St?

Suffolk Street.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement