Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That should change as Magic Rock ups production. Grand Cru say they've just been getting whatever has been available when they've asked, and it's been slim pickings. I'd say that situation will improve in the coming months.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Last night I got my girlfriend to see what the barman in the Delirium Caf would recommend, total random selection. Ended uo with a bottle of the fantastic Abbaye des Rocs bruin. Seems to be very highly regarded on Ratebeer and Beer Advocate too.

Elsewhere today I found a shop that sells Westvleteren 12 for 18. Yup. Eighteen euro. Per bottle. Mad bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Where? How much?

Blackrock Cellar, not sure how much just threw one into my basket at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Siren - Bones of a Sailor Part 3

About 10 different styles in one. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but in this case it just comes across as confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Wait till you try their quadrophenia beer :P

• Advertisement

I had their Calypso last week and it nearly turned my tastebuds inside out. Extremely sour, but still nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

In Galway for the races, disappointed by the lack of Galway hooker and Galway bay in the town. Disappointing but not surprising.

Drinking a guinnesss. I'd love a buried at sea on tap though

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

janiejones wrote: »
    In Galway for the races, disappointed by the lack of Galway hooker and Galway bay in the town. Disappointing but not surprising.

The Salt House isn't far out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I had their Calypso last week and it nearly turned my tastebuds inside out. Extremely sour, but still nice.

you think? I thought it was a nice mild introduction to sour beers, I met a mate of mine who'd be described as a "dip the toe" craft drinker in the Brew Dock the other week and gave him half a bottle of it, and he bought another, thought it was delicious.

you think? I thought it was a nice mild introduction to sour beers, I met a mate of mine who'd be described as a "dip the toe" craft drinker in the Brew Dock the other week and gave him half a bottle of it, and he bought another, thought it was delicious.

Yeah, I thought it smelled lovely and hoppy and malty but it tasted super lemony sour like a lemon based cocktail. The lemon really attacked the tongue and the tastebuds but didn't linger that much considering the initial assault. I still enjoyed it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Where were you drinking? Hooker is in the majority of pubs, O'Connells, Foleys, Garavans, Garveys, Neachtains, everywhere down West, Seven, Front Door to name but a few. Galway Bay stuff is only on tap in their own pubs, some have bottles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Siren - Bones of a Sailor Part 3

About 10 different styles in one. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but in this case it just comes across as confused.

I really, really, really like that beer.
    One person's complexity is another person's confusion, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Debating either a load of pints in the local or a few bottles of Black Bucket which will no doubt mean an early night! Decisions decisions

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cantillon Brasserie was well worth a visit. Cheers for the recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pint of via maris in the dark horse.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hirschbrau Doppel-Hirsch. Sweet, almost too sweet, doppelbock, which is a style I'm not very familiar with tbh. Tastes a bit boozier than its 7.2% as well. Worth giving it a go, but I couldn't see myself buying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Dipped into my KBS stash.

As always the big problem with this it ends

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

If you happen to still be in Galway here is a list you can view to find out where it's available on draught, http://www.galwayhooker.ie/locations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/brewdog-adopts-a-bastard

Oh my! Brewdog is taking the arrogant bastard recipe

That stuff is off the charts good! Prob one of my favs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Currently in Blackfriars in Glasgow's Merchant City area. 5 handpumps on and plenty of interesting bottles. Very impressed by 2 beers from Fallen Brewery on cask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mate just sent me a pic from Weatherspoons in Swords, Leann Follain from a bottle:

Oh poured into a glass of ice !!!

image.png?w=400&c=1

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Mate just sent me a pic from Weatherspoons in Swords, Leann Follain from a bottle:

Oh poured into a glass of ice !!!

Out of curiosity, did he pour it into the glass of ice or did the barman? Neither is acceptable, but for one it should be a sacking offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Barman did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Barman did it.

I would have handed it right back and asked for another one.

Stout with Ice Yuck !!!!.

That deserves a meme, but I honestly can't think of any that sufficiently convey how I feel about that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I would absolutely send that back. I've been offered ice with bottled beer before but pouring it without asking isn't on.

Sipping on a homebrew (American Pale Ale) and have bottles of Delerium Nocturnum and Kinnegar Yannaroddy Porter for after. Particularly looking forward to the former.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The Mrs is running a Brehon Tasting in Blackrock Cellar, I've one of their Summer Ales on the way home, along with some Sierra Nevada Harvest and a Trouble Graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The Mrs is running a Brehon Tasting in Blackrock Cellar, I've one of their Summer Ales on the way home, along with some Sierra Nevada Harvest and a Trouble Graffiti.

Was just there myself, currently sipping the IPA

• Advertisement

Was just there myself, currently sipping the IPA

did you talk to her?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement