Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

did you talk to her?

Yeah I'm never one to shy away from a few samples :-) very nice woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The Mrs is running a Brehon Tasting in Blackrock Cellar, I've one of their Summer Ales on the way home, along with some Sierra Nevada Harvest and a Trouble Graffiti.

The summers ale is nice. Well impressed with it. Still 4 for €10 in Monaghan !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it was her first time in that off licence, but she's been doing the Brehon beers since the start of the year.

If you get/have too many Brehon glassware don't be afraid to share it !

thin on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

thin on the ground

But IF you do ;-) ;-)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Yeah I'm never one to shy away from a few samples :-) very nice woman.

ah shucks :o:o

Porterhouse Hop Head : it's a good goto beer but this one tastes different. Almost a metal taste. Maybe just a dodgy bottle.

oh look at the glass I found

CLRZOSQWUAADbzl.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ola Dubh 12. Absolutely spectacular beer. Rich, slightly smoky, dark chocolatey and a slight coffee flavour to it. It hides its 8% very well. I have a 16 and an 18 as well, and I'm really looking forward to trying them, especially as I have a bottle of Highland Park 18 and it's an exceptional scotch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Where did you get the 16 and 18 ? Love the 12, but cant find the 16 or 18 anywhere reasonably close to me.

Super beer

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Got them all in Carryout in Tyrrellstown a few weeks ago. They had a good few of all three then, but no idea what they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

260x510_p1416411450780_o%E2%80%99hara%E2%80%99s-pinta-lublin-to-dublin.jpg

O'Hara's Lublin To Dublin

O'Hara's set the standard with Leann Follain IMO so I had very high expectations for their Lublin To Dublin Milk Stout. On the label it says it's a 'Robust Milk Stout' and robust it certainly is. Where Leann Follain is rich and flavoursome, this is dry and bitter with a distinct roasted, malted aftertaste. Drinkable for sure and good to see them doing something different but overall I'll be sticking with Leann Follain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Passenger wrote: »

Drinkable for sure and good to see them doing something different but overall I'll be sticking with Leann Follain.

It's not designed as a replacement for Follain. It's a limited bottling colab.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

limnam wrote: »
    It's not designed as a replacement for Follain. It's a limited bottling colab.

Yes, I know.

On a stag and in Guinness for a tour. Asked for a hop house 13 with a Guinness head As a joke but got it !
    Turns out it not so bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

oh look at the glass I found

That's a nice looking beer!

first time ever I brought only homebrew to a BBQ today.

Delighted with myself, never found a yearning for a "proper" beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

8 Degrees Grand Stretch. Clearly been out for a while but not seen it until this weekend.

Nomad, hated it.

Graffiti, unbalanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Did not like Nomad. Didn't work for me, the lager aftertaste wasn't a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Oxymoron kiwi wit back in O'Briens so got some of that stuff! Love it. It's a Belgian style beer with New Zealand hops on a limited run.

Sometimes you can get 4 for 10 in Deveny's but 3 quid a pop in O'Briens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

first time ever I brought only homebrew to a BBQ today.

Delighted with myself, never found a yearning for a "proper" beer.

How long are you brewing? (Just out of curiosity)

How long are you brewing? (Just out of curiosity)

properly, a couple of years - but me and my brew friends won gold at the nationals this year for our stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Left hand sawtooth nitro. A bit so so. Glad I only paid 1.80 for it.

Can't wait to try the gouden carolus next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

properly, a couple of years - but me and my brew friends won gold at the nationals this year for our stout.

Cool

Sounds like you have more than a decent handle on it (brewing) so

I'm always a believer that well made Homebrew can go toe to toe with most craft beer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Cool

Sounds like you have more than a decent handle on it (brewing) so

I'm always a believer that well made Homebrew can go toe to toe with most craft beer

Consistency would be the biggest issue, but there are a whole pile of things a pro brewer has to deal with a home brewer doesn't too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Anyone recommend a nice stout? Can't face the pub for a guiness the fear is too bad, so fancy a nice stout but no idea what's good

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Anyone recommend a nice stout? Can't face the pub for a guiness the fear is too bad, so fancy a nice stout but no idea what's good

Cheers

http://www.carlowbrewing.com/our-beers/oharas-leann-follain/?ao_confirm

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Grayditch wrote: »
    Did not like Nomad. Didn't work for me, the lager aftertaste wasn't a nice one.

I liked it. Prefer grand stretch but thought it was an interesting style. Thought the smooth larger aftertaste was quite nice. Wouldn't get many of them having said that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement