Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Spot on with o'haras mate, chasing the fear away nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Mate just sent me a pic from Weatherspoons in Swords, Leann Follain from a bottle:

Oh poured into a glass of ice !!!

Sorry, a bit late to this and only seeing it now, but...

tumblr_me1pha0Pcu1rnr47go4_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Just home from a pub with The Full Irish on tap. What a beautiful beer! 8 degrees really have their head(s) screwed on!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WallsToTheBall

Been a while, here are some of the highlights (or ones I remember!) of the last few weeks:

Tuatara Belgian Trippel: Lovely stuff, well worth the price but drinking a bottle this big is fairly hefty!
    8.5% ABV but fairly well masked, nice lemony, subtle caramel, slight sour taste.

Eight Degrees Nomad: Alright, but doesn't come close to some of their IPAs. Bit too rough a mash-up of
    different styles, tastes good for the new-world hops part but then the lagery part kind of ruins it.

Innis and Gunn Rum finish: Nice vanilla and caramel stuff, quite rich, kind of Porterish. Wasn't a huge fan of
    their Whiskey cask-aged stuff, this is much better, got it for a song at €3 for a 660ml bottle due to the
    semi-arbitraty best before end date being soon :D

Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Ale Wild: Damn flavoursome for a tripel, nice fruits and yeasty character,
    quite complex and this cool indescribable after-taste that I assume comes from the wild Brett in there
    which is far more pronounced when cold (probably due to all the other flavours masking it as it warms).

Kona Big Wave Golden Ale: A bit bland to be honest, expected a lot more flavour after drinking a load
    of my home-brewed St. Peter's Golden Ale! nice clean smooth drink though. Kona brews seem really hit or
    miss to me.

Worthingtons White Shield: Long time since I had this one, lovely stuff, tastes more like a strong ale
    (but with a ton less sweet) than an IPA. Nice caramel maltiness blending into
    slight hop bitterness, slight alcohol taste and good body, feck all head though!

Cloughmore Heather IPA: Not really getting much of a Heather taste off it, but nice herby subtle floralness,
    decent bittering but not harsh, biscuity and quite thick. Not bad but not amazing either.

Ridgeway Brewing Criminally Bad Elf: Harsh. The last word of this beers name should have been left out to give a
    more accurate description...tastes like turbo-yeast thrown in a perfectly good brew with the perfectly fine
    maltose being doubled up with granulated sugar! Basically a sub-par malt-liquor with a bit of added hop
    flavour, I have had worse beers sure, but not at this price-point.

Trouble Brewing S.M.A.S.H Simcoe: Pretty good, a bit over the top, a half-pint was almost too much flavour
    but that is to be expected with dry-hopping this hard! I preferred the Vic Secret one, that was lovely.

Blacks of Kinsale High Viz Double IPA: Powerful aroma and flavour off this thing, 8.5% but only mild (warming)
    boozy taste as it is masked by the face-punching quantity of lovely floral fruity hops! The hop profile is
    terrifically balanced between bitter, sweet, sharp and floral. Probably my favourite of their beers so far
    as have had some real misses (but they might have been stored too long or something), hopefully will get to
    taste it on draught or cask sometime soon as that is always even better!

TO OL Friends With Benefits: Lovely mild-lambicy sour, smooth mouthfeel with a tiny lasting fizz finish.
    Reminds me of a hopped & soured Lomza non-filtered or a Lithuanian farmhouse ale, good stuff, definitely
    worth trying at least.

BrewDog Punk IPA: Been a long time since I had it on draught and was better than ever, lovely smooth,
    slight citrus, not too heavy on the hops, these guys just keep improving their brews!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

1437063391mums.jpg

Siren's Mum's The Word Porter

Rich milk chocolate Porter with a very distinctive Cherry flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

8 Degrees grand stretch, not great. Aroma is spot on, but the flavour is just bland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I've a severe Schlenkerla Marzen craving and Drinkstore are all out (only the weisen in stock), anywhere else that's fairly central that stocks it? For take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

slayerking wrote: »
    I've a severe Schlenkerla Marzen craving and Drinkstore are all out (only the weisen in stock), anywhere else that's fairly central that stocks it? For take away.

Redmonds usually have them all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

jsa112 wrote: »
    8 Degrees grand stretch, not great. Aroma is spot on, but the flavour is just bland

bland?

I think you may have dulled your taste buds.
    If anything it's a bit too forward for the alc % imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Had Goose Island in Wetherspoons the other day and it's not the IPA I remember. It has a new look label too, darker green.
    Wondering have they got some different version of it? Tastes a lot less hoppy and not half as nice
    This is the label I remember:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article6288826.ece/alternates/w620/Ten-best-6.jpg

And I cant find an example of the one in Wetherspoons

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This is just how it looks now.
    goose-island-india-pale-ale-coming-to-12oz-ca-L-Zurl3_.png

Last time I had it I thought it had lost some of its zing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aw that's a pity. One of favourites from when I got into the aul "fancy beers".

Must pick some up soon and check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

12th Abbey IPA amongst the few I got today. Somehow I've got a bottle with a BBE at the end of *this* month. It tastes like it...

Its a Brú-brewed contract as far as I know and I rather liked the bottles I was getting 6 months ago. Its possibly been the same batch all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The Porter by Anspach & Hobday.

One of the nicest porters I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Pit Bros in Dublin have a house Ale, Larger and cider. Anyone know who's brewing them? Suspecting Brú or RR.

The cider had that turbo cider twang, suspect its just apple juice in a bucket out back.

The ale was so-so, plenty of malt sweetness/biscuit-y-ness almost no hop bitterness. Strange as you'd think something bitter would contrast the sweet and spicy BBQ food.

The larger I skipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

So, why is no one talking about White Hag's Session IPA?

Best Irish session beer on the market.

Murders Metalman and Grand Stretch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

L1011 wrote: »
    12th Abbey IPA amongst the few I got today. Somehow I've got a bottle with a BBE at the end of *this* month. It tastes like it...

Its a Brú-brewed contract as far as I know and I rather liked the bottles I was getting 6 months ago. Its possibly been the same batch all the time.

Just had a bottle of their Raven Stout, and I can safely say I won't be ever having another. Very watery for a stout with a pretty nondescript flavour. But the most off-putting thing was the smell, it was just odd. I can't really describe it, but I've never smelled any beer like it before. A very unsatisfying beer all round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not G.R wrote: »
    Pit Bros in Dublin have a house Ale, Larger and cider. Anyone know who's brewing them? Suspecting Brú or RR.
    The ale is by 5 Lamps, unless that's changed recently.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's my birthday today, so I decided to break out the Brewdog Paradox Compass Box that my wife bought for me recently. At 15% I was expecting to be overwhelmed by the alcohol, but it sits nicely as part of the overall flavour, rather than coming as a kick at the end. It's quite a sweet beer with lots of malty coffee, burnt treacle and chocolate flavours. Is it worth €18 a bottle? Well tbh I'd find it hard to justify that price for any beer, even one at 15%, but it's definitely my kind of beer and I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

And as it's my birthday my wife bought me even more beer. She knows what I like. :D

357588.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Damn I want an Ashtray Heart now.

Also, all the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Really liked paradox myself, paid 20 euros for it though, definitely worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a bottle of the Independent Brewing Summer Ale a few days ago, deliciously hoppy whilst well balanced. Very nice.

http://independentbrewing.ie/beer_type/beers/page/3/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cancelled my Beer52 subscription 2 months ago, got an email the other day offering 8 beers for £12(normally £24). Got to the checkout and they offered a further 2 extra free beers this month. Not a bad haul.

e0rhic.jpg

Will probably cancel again though, don't think it's worth it for full price.

I'd say UK companies are taking a hammering due to the strong Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Galway Bay's Via Maris session IPA does what it says on the bottle and very well. Crisp and light but not without a nice hop bite and good favour for a 3.5%.

Cracked open a nice one tonight.

Mikkeller/3 Floyds - Majsgoop.

It's classed as an American Barley Wine but it's more like a double or a triple American IPA. Lots of sweet jammy/marmalade, citrus, piney hops and sugary hops that make it so nice. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Finally getting to try out Grand Stretch by 8 Degrees. Superb! My first and last drink of the night and I am so glad it is with this beer. Superb (in my opinion!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Foreign Affair, the O'Hara's/Star Hill Collaboration beer - a Red IPA - is pretty good. I love the Falconer's Flight Hop Blend, and have used in a homebrew Black IPA, does well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had a Radikale Rubenesque tonight, delightful. Malt and yeast all the way through, really enjoyed it, my kinda beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beavertown Quelle Saison lovely beer which reminded me of brewdog beer that I can't put my finger on.
    It had that lovely grapefruit dryness and a bit peppery. I also got a bit of a metallic taste too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement