Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NorthDublin1

3 bottles of Corona!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lovely stuff from White Hag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

RasTa wrote: »

Had it on draught in Kavanaghs and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

RasTa wrote: »

A beer called "lovely stuff" or do you just think they have lovely stuff?

They all have lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Picked up a pack of Brewdogs IPA is dead, a Kinnegar Crossroads (formerly Road trip) and 4 Modus Hoperandi for 12 quid and I even picked up a free ska glass, should keep me busy till Saturday at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is Galway Bay's In Bloom: Gorse Flower supposed to have absolutely no carbonation whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is Galway Bay's In Bloom: Gorse Flower supposed to have absolutely no carbonation whatsoever?

My bottle was almost zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I had it on draught and it was pretty much flat too.

Not a bad beer but a bit of carbonation would've been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A pint of beyond from black donkey in 57 the headline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Mine was a total dud. Don't think it was intentional? I would have enjoyed it a lot more with more carbonation anyway.

Mine was a total dud. Don't think it was intentional? I would have enjoyed it a lot more with more carbonation anyway.

I doubt it was intentional considering the style of beer Wits normally have a lot of carbonation to counter the sweetness. This one had none whatsoever. Bad form considering the same happened when they first released their core range in bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I doubt it was intentional considering the style of beer Wits normally have a lot of carbonation to counter the sweetness. This one had none whatsoever. Bad form considering the same happened when they first released their core range in bottles.

Yeah I would have thought that as one of the more developed new breweries that they would have fewer QC issues.

Seems likes it's whole batch as well not just an odd bottle here or there, which considering mine cost €4.50 is a pretty poor show.

To Øl - Overall.

Says it's an IIPA (Imperial IPA) but it's essentially an American style DIPA. Absolutely cracking beer, one of the best IIPA/DIPA's I've had.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Black's of Kinsale have bottled their High Viz double IPA! :D Good times.

I remember having it as my second last beer at the Alltech Fest in the spring. Never thought I'd be able to drink it at home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Says it's an IIPA (Imperial IPA) but it's essentially an American style DIPA.
    Huh? What makes you think those are two different things?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

BeerNut wrote: »

Was wondering the same thing. I thought it was just IIPA pronounced as "Double I-PA, in the same way you could spell BEER as "B-Double E-R".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Turpentine wrote: »
    Was wondering the same thing. I thought it was just IIPA pronounced as "Double I-PA, in the same way you could spell BEER as "B-Double E-R".

IIPA = Imperial IPA. Imperial and Double are pretty much interchangeable in usage when talking about beers.

BeerNut wrote: »

Nothing. It was just the fact that they were making the distinction themselves. It's very rarely that you see IIPA instead of DIPA (or rare for me to see), which is essentially the same thing of course. Which is why I juxtaposed the IIPA/DIPA in my last sentence.

Plus it was 10.5% so I wasn't exactly running on all cylinders at the time of typing. :o:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

, which is essentially the same thing of course.

Makes it sound like they are not exactly the same.. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

So they are the same thing?

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    Makes it sound like they are not exactly the same.. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

So they are the same thing?

Well they're not exactly the same in the sense that they have different names, but without getting into the semantics of the word "essentially" I would say they are the same thing.

I'm no expert though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm no expert though.

I am an expert, and yeah, they are the same thing.

See, anyone can call themselves a beer expert, it's not as if there's a degree in beerology where you learn off the style guides.

Is that dark beer a stout or a porter, add some hops, is it a hoppy porter or a black IPA? Does it matter what the brewer puts on the label?

I am an expert, and yeah, they are the same thing.

See, anyone can call themselves a beer expert, it's not as if there's a degree in beerology where you learn off the style guides.

Is that dark beer a stout or a porter, add some hops, is it a hoppy porter or a black IPA? Does it matter what the brewer puts on the label?

That's an over simplification though, there are some well defined conventions on what a Porter, Lager, Wit Bier, etc. is. It's just that as soon as you add more or less of an ingredient or even a different ingredient, the definitions start to become blurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

had a bottle of Founder Imperial Stout last night.
    WOW...great beer and the packs a punch. However at nearly 5euro a bottle its a bit on the expensive side for me so will be a rare treat from time to time.

St Mels - Brown Ale.
    Very nice without being anything to write home about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Well they're not exactly the same in the sense that they have different names, but without getting into the semantics of the word "essentially" I would say they are the same thing.

I'm no expert though.

Ah cool. I got the different name bit alright :)

had a bottle of Founder Imperial Stout last night.
    WOW...great beer and the packs a punch. However at nearly 5euro a bottle its a bit on the expensive side for me so will be a rare treat from time to time.

Where was that? It's €3.95 in Drinkstore and €3.99 in Martins when they have it in stock.

But even at a price of €5 it's still great value considering it's 10.5%

yeah, some offies take the piss. I just don't go back.

That's an over simplification though, there are some well defined conventions on what a Porter, Lager, Wit Bier, etc. is.

I can maybe agree on lager, but the latest is a bleedin IPL, or a hoppy lager which muddies the waters a bit on that style.

What are the well defined conventions on Porter v Stout? As I understand it the convention is that Stout means "strong", as in "Stout" Porter. "Strong" being relative I suppose. Is Guinness a Stout, the stuff available in most bars, under that definition, probably isn't.

What about O'Hara's Stout vs Leann Follain? I'd argue that in that stable, that the Stout is not the Stout, it's their porter, and the LF is the Stout Porter.

See. Headwreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I can maybe agree on lager, but the latest is a bleedin IPL, or a hoppy lager which muddies the waters a bit on that style.

What are the well defined conventions on Porter v Stout? As I understand it the convention is that Stout means "strong", as in "Stout" Porter. "Strong" being relative I suppose.
    http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

• Advertisement

BJCP are grand for what they are, but not an authority, in any sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement