Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Picked up a bottle of Bru Dubh in Super Valu (currently 4 for 10 on a number of irish craft beers, excellent value).
    Apparently its a nitro bottled stout and has the 'poor hard' instructions on the bottle. I really like Left hand nitro stout, so curious to see how this one fairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

drumswan wrote: »
    I wonder about people who call beers 'awful'. Trooper is entirely inoffensive. Is there really such thing as an 'awful' beer?

Nogne Sunturnbrew. Like bin juice and brake fluid mixed with dead cat smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

slayerking wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Bru Dubh in Super Valu (currently 4 for 10 on a number of irish craft beers, excellent value).
    Apparently its a nitro bottled stout and has the 'poor hard' instructions on the bottle. I really like Left hand nitro stout, so curious to see how this one fairs.

Been Drinking Brú Dubh all day and love it. It's rich and smooth and goes down easily. Ran out of Dubh and had a bottle of Galway Bay Of Foam and Fury, wow I loved it. Great tasting beer. Aroma is amazing and taste and texture is rich.

Drinking Brú Ri now. It's ok. But I think my taste buds have been destroyed by Of Foam and Fury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

strobe wrote: »
    Nogne Sunturnbrew. Like bin juice and brake fluid mixed with dead cat smell.

Yeah, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

upforit101 wrote: »
    BierKoning by any chance?
    They have almost every Beer imaginable but the service is terrible- they could do with some competition.

Just around the corner from BierKoning there is an excellent craft beer pub called "Beer temple" with loads of IPAs & Imperial stouts, I had a great session there last year.

http://www.beertemple.nl/

Yeah, and it was quite expensive. All Sierra's were near a fiver each. I'll check out that other place, nice one.

• Advertisement

Amber Ella at The Headline, what a cracking beer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Last night I was in the Headline and O'Hara's IPA on Cask. It's unreal on the hand pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I wonder about people who call beers 'awful'. Trooper is entirely inoffensive. Is there really such thing as an 'awful' beer?

Yeah, McGargles!

Anyway, couple of Purgatory in the Gingerman this evening after the game before we headed for dinner. Always a nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Finally had the bottle of O'Hara's Double IPA that was lurking in my house for a couple of weeks. What a disappointment though. It has none of hoppy bite of their regular IPA or the chewy texture of some of the other DIPAs I've had. There's a decent whack of alcohol but not enough backbone to disguise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Finally had the bottle of O'Hara's Double IPA that was lurking in my house for a couple of weeks. What a disappointment though. It has none of hoppy bite of their regular IPA or the chewy texture of some of the other DIPAs I've had. There's a decent whack of alcohol but not enough backbone to disguise it.

Snap. I had one tonight as well and I felt that it hadn't enough bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Made use of the current Tesco 4 for €9 Craft beer festival deal and had a few bottles of Leann Follian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, and it was quite expensive. All Sierra's were near a fiver each. I'll check out that other place, nice one.

If the weather is good take the number 10 or 14 tram out to this brewery/pub - "Brouwerij 't IJ (the IJ Brewery)".

It's only a ten minute ride from Dam Square.

It has an old Windmill attached and is a nice place to spend an afternoon or evening.

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/homepage/home-2/

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/category/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

upforit101 wrote: »
    If the weather is good take the number 10 or 14 tram out to this brewery/pub - "Brouwerij 't IJ (the IJ Brewery)".

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/homepage/home-2/

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/category/news/

Ha, yeah already done! Very good prices. They were out of their porter, but the IPA was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had another Brown Paper Bag Project Gose.
    I followed it with a 2000 vintage Boon Marriage Parfait.
    I think I preferred the Gose:eek::eek:
    (I do know that they are different styles - but both sour)
    What did anyone else think of the gose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Pale ale on cask in Sweetmans at the mo, dry hopped with chinook. Delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ha, yeah already done! Very good prices. They were out of their porter, but the IPA was nice.

Nice one, the other half is in Amsterdam visiting her sister - I'd love to be there now

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sipping on ruthless rye from the growler poured from a freshly tapped keg. a mazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had a nice two days in london beer drinking but not as impressed as dublin is so great now.

Went to meantimes pub in the old naval college. Crazy busy all afternoon. Tasted quite a few of their beers. Their red(very 5am like) and their smoked porter were excellent. at 5.80£ a pint it would want to be!

Brewdog shoreditch, liked the snow blind barleywine and jackhammer was decent. I really enjoyed their sour Cherry Blitz.

In spoons i had a Sweet Action, very understated and not much going on at 4£ a wee can it aint cheap either!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

adamski8 wrote: »
    In spoons i had a Sweet Action, very understated and not much going on at 4£ a wee can it aint cheap either!

I really enjoy this, although it's 2 for £5 in Derry too so that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Got two OFAF from drinkstore. Went up to Sweenys in Phibsboro to have a snoop around. Got talking to a guy that works there and he gave me a free Weizen!!! What a hero. Had to buy 4 Schneider Weisse 4 for €10 be rude not to :pac: Sorted for the week now :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

irish_goat wrote: »
    I really enjoy this, although it's 2 for £5 in Derry too so that helps.

i got it as i read you liked it. Anyway it was worth it as i got to ask the barman could i have some sweet action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Craft beer in Tolka Park!

they got in O'Hara's PA and LF - sold out of LF on Friday night, which is hugely encouraging, might mean they'll increase their range.

Nice, shame you'd to suffer through watching Shels to enjoy it ;)

Drinking a Two Hundred Fathoms, beautiful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

One of my locals have McGargles Gravy Maevey's Pilsner on draft ... €5 a pint ... tried it ... was very average - seems to be more gimmicky than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

RayCon wrote: »
    One of my locals have McGargles Gravy Maevey's Pilsner on draft ... €5 a pint ... tried it ... was very average - seems to be more gimmicky than anything else.

A recurring theme, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Craft beer in Tolka Park!

they got in O'Hara's PA and LF - sold out of LF on Friday night, which is hugely encouraging, might mean they'll increase their range.

I'll be in Dalymount next week, wonder will they have? Doubt it.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I'll be in Dalymount next week, wonder will they have? Doubt it.

The bar in Tolka is a separate entity to the club - it's run as a private business, they rent the space so the club has a regular income from that, and anything else is profits for the guy who runs it.

A couple of weeks ago one of the lads sent a message on Twitter to the bar account and asked for some craft beers, they got back and asked for a list - now they were never going to stock everything asked for, but it's a start, and to sell out of one of them on the first night is pretty good imo.

So, it's a case of "if you ask you get" - I'll bet nobody has ever asked Bohs to stock craft beer in their bar.

Oh yeah, it was 4.50 a bottle too, very reasonable for LF I think.

Nice, shame you'd to suffer through watching Shels to enjoy it ;)

Well, you don't have to watch Shels at all, just stay in the bar drinking. It's obviously a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

So, it's a case of "if you ask you get" - I'll bet nobody has ever asked Bohs to stock craft beer in their bar.

I asked about 2 years ago but I was laughed at. Also I haven't been there too often the past 2 years due to not living here full time but now I am back but I still reckon I will have difficulty getting down every 2 weeks due to work/baby etc.

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I asked about 2 years ago but I was laughed at.

So, ask again - and tell people!

There is a group of Shels fans who meet in various craft pubs pre-match each friday, so once word got out among them the beer sold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement