Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BJCP are grand for what they are, but not an authority, in any sense.

Yeah but it doesn't need to be an authority, just needs to be a guide or a reference point that people will generally agree with so that when you're buying a drink you have some reasonable idea of what you're getting.

Take a BIPA for example. A Black India Pale Ale. It's Black but it's Pale? :confused: But everybody still knows what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

What about O'Hara's Stout vs Leann Follain? I'd argue that in that stable, that the Stout is not the Stout, it's their porter, and the LF is the Stout Porter.
    Neither are porters, Guinness is an Irish Stout and Leann Follain is an Irish Extra Stout.

Theres never going to be an overall authority on something that has been produced for thousands of years all over the world, but if styles are your thing the BJCP guidelines are helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yes, that particular designation has irked me for years.

I dislike the BJCP simply because the Beer Judging their style guide is used for is pretty useless for beers that don't fit into one style or another, but are still good beers. You can fall between the stools pretty easily by not brewing to a particular style, then get marked down for being "out of style" on what could be the best beer in a competition.

There are styles in the 2015 Guide that weren't there 2 years ago, so it's always playing catch up - was a time when there'd be no BIPA style in the guide, and people brewing them would be entering dark beers in a pale category, or hoppy beers in a porter category - and failing.

It's a flawed guide imo. Only partly useful for it's intended purpose. And that intended purpose is most certainly not to be an authority on beer style discussions, it is simply a guide for certified judges for competitions being run to BJCP Standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Neither are porters, Guinness is an Irish Stout and Leann Follain is an Irish Extra Stout.

Theres never going to be an overall authority on something that has been produced for thousands of years all over the world, but if styles are your thing the BJCP guidelines are helpful.

:confused:

Stout is short for "Stout Porter", which originally meant a stronger abv than Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Stout is short for "Stout Porter", which originally meant a stronger abv than Porter.
    Both of these recipes were formulated in the last 30 years, historical styles have nothing to do with it really.
    It's a flawed guide imo. Only partly useful for it's intended purpose. And that intended purpose is most certainly not to be an authority on beer style discussions, it is simply a guide for certified judges for competitions being run to BJCP Standards.
    If you arent interested in styles for a given purpose then I wouldnt worry about what style one beer or another is tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Crisp and Sweet Action are €1.50 a can in the Blanch Weatherspoons at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Where was that? It's €3.95 in Drinkstore and €3.99 in Martins when they have it in stock.

But even at a price of €5 it's still great value considering it's 10.5%

Humm... I'm fairly certain the sticker said €4.95, will check bottle later
    I got it with a few other beers about a week ago.

I'm a long way from Drinkstore and Martins :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Has anyone hadan Imperial Pilsner? Lagunitas has one out and I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

At what point does one stop being a porter and start being a stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Not G.R wrote: »
    A lot of breweries use the term interchangeably. Therefore for me those definitions do not matter. Some people love definitions more though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I only recognize two types of beer...good beer & bad beer :D :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ipso wrote: »
    Has anyone hadan Imperial Pilsner? Lagunitas has one out and I'm intrigued.
    Birra Del Borgo's My Antonia is an excellent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

BeerNut wrote: »
    Birra Del Borgo's My Antonia is an excellent one.

Great beer. We wont get dogfishgead quality any time soon this is next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I only recognize two types of beer...good beer & bad beer :D :cool:

Same here.
    Warm beer
    Cold beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Not G.R wrote: »

Once it gors beyond Robust Porter?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anybody try the new ones from Edge Brewing? Top notch beers. The RyePA and the DIPA were my favourites out of the ones I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Was give a couple of Celtic Warrior beers that my parents picked up at the taste of Cavan a couple of weeks ago.

One has summer beer written on the side where the barcode should be, so I assume is an unreleased beer. The other doesn't seem to say what type of beer it is. Anyone know anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Jaipur X in the fridge. Really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

White Hag Session IPA. Some people on here have spoke highly of it but I'm not finding it that great.

Unbalanced and one dimensional for me. Bitterness and not much else, very little hop flavour/aroma or sweetness. Hasn't a patch on Grand Stretch or Jarl, my 2 favourite sessioners

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Hasn't a patch on Grand Stretch or Jarl, my 2 favourite sessioners

Where are you getting your Jarl fix these days?

• Advertisement

Where are you getting your Jarl fix these days?

With great difficulty! I got the last few bottles from D6 off-licence in Harold's Cross a few weeks ago but they haven't been able to get it back in stock. I asked they guy there what the story was but he said their supplier just hasn't had it in stock for over a month now. Haven't seen it anywhere else either, dunno if there is an issue at the Fyne brewery or what....

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Irish beer heads are too busy drinking Barrel Aged Imperial Smoked Belgian Porters.

Fyne Ales and Oakham Ales both didn't sell here and suppliers pulled the plug.

Beer doesn't get better than Avalanche and Oakham Citra.

I hate you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going to have a vardys moonshine strawberry

Irish beer heads are too busy drinking Barrel Aged Imperial Smoked Belgian Porters.

Fyne Ales and Oakham Ales both didn't sell here and suppliers are pulling the plug.

I hate you all.

Some guy used to go into that off licence on delivery day and buy their whole stock of Jarl off them! He must be having a nervous breakdown now.

They are still getting deliveries of all the other Fyne beers which hopefully means that it's just a temporary issue but yeah Jarl doesn't get enough love imo, great beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Fyne Ales and Oakham Ales both didn't sell here and suppliers pulled the plug.

Beer doesn't get better than Avalanche and Oakham Citra.

I hate you all.

My OHs sister lives in Peterborough, Oakham ales is my first stop when we visit, love the citra!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a Brewdog Hardcore IPA. Don't particularly like it but could see it being rather dangerous in pints (well, I'm pretty sure they don't sell it in pints in their own bars) as it doesn't taste anything like 9.2%

Had some cash left from *not* drinking last weekend due to work so asked the usual guy in my regular decent offo to basically pick a scotch for €50 that I hadn't had before - a BenRiach 12. Think that'll be the replacement for beer for the rest of the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Should be drinking a Napar Alien Claw Belgian IPA but... Theres loose glass in the bottle :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

*hides his flagon of devils bit*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah I would have thought that as one of the more developed new breweries that they would have fewer QC issues.

Seems likes it's whole batch as well not just an odd bottle here or there, which considering mine cost €4.50 is a pretty poor show.

Mine was 4.80 and is as flat as a... flat thing. Pancakes might have more carbonation in them if you made them with self-raising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You are paying for the GBB experience.. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement